Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 02:30 PM   #1

Dehumidifier suggestions

Hey all, getting ready for another camping season in a month. This is our 2'nd year with our 2021 Roo 233S. Hopefully the weather is better this year. That being said, we did have some condensation issues with the bunks. I read last year this is a common issue with hybrids especially in colder weather. Well like I said last year weather was terrible for summer. Anyway I'm lookin to all the hybrid owners for suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate this. I had the Maxx air vents on and such and still had some moisture under mattresses and canvas. I was giving a dehumidifier might be good but which one and 1 larger or 2 smaller. Looking forward to your input and opinions. Thank you.
Frosty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:26 PM   #2

a wool blanket or other such insulation as rigid foam under the mattress eliminates most condensation, as does using your heated mattress even on low

unzipping the tent 10-12 inches near your head and leaving the bath exhaust fan on low does wonders for tent condensation and have a small towel on hand in case some condensation still appears.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Thank you for that reply. What type of rigid foam are we talking about though? Thanks again
Old 05-10-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Dampness under the mattresses is always a problem because they sit on the cold bed door and condensation occurs there. Common problem on boats where the sides of berths rest against the hull which has cold water on the other side.

Need an air space under the mattress. Question is how to get it. Condensation will still occur but the mattress won't be touching or absorb the water.

Don't know if Dry Mat is available in the US but it's worth investigating. Long ago we used something similar. Something as simple as beach mats can help.

-- Chuck
Old 05-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Team

This is common anytime the mattress is sitting on a cold surface. The moisture from your body goes through the mattress and condenses on the cold surface. Pick up a 4 X 8 piece of building foam board ( foil faced works best) and place it under the mattress. This will keep the bottom surface of the mattress warmer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:30 AM   #6

air circulation is key - so crack open a zipper in the tent ends. we also installed Popup Gizmos (PUGs) on our hybrid. it is a thermal covering on the outside of the tent ends - helps keep the bed ends cooler in the summer and it also keeps the tenting cleaner. I have the super high wind version which come with tiedowns cords attached - just google PUGs and that should bring you to the company that makes them. I also use PUG ears to attach the PUGs to the camper. These come from a different company. The PUG ears are designed to stick permanently to the camper and provide an attachment point for the PUGs.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #7

I will look into foam boards. I do have the pop up gizmos already and I love them. Wondering what you all think of a dehumidifier as a solution. Lmk. Thanks
Old 05-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty68 View Post
I will look into foam boards. I do have the pop up gizmos already and I love them. Wondering what you all think of a dehumidifier as a solution. Lmk. Thanks
that will work but too much hardware replaces a simple solutions of what you have already been told

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

The dehumidifier will not help much with the condensation under the mattress. As I mentioned, that is from the moisture from your body when sleeping. It penetrates the mattress and condenses on the cooler bed platform. It will however help with moisture on the tent ends and windows.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-17-2022, 03:52 PM   #10

I think I might want to try the foam board suggestion but I am a bit confused as to what to get. If you could send a link or picture of best material, I'll appreciate it and pick that up and give it a try. Thanks for all suggestions
Old 05-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #11
Site Team

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...20WE/207179253

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #12

This is available in thicker panels as well. Not real sturdy. R-value is directly proportional to the thickness.

-- Chuck
Old 05-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I think I might want to try the foam board suggestion but I am a bit confused as to what to get. If you could send a link or picture of best material, I'll appreciate it and pick that up and give it a try. Thanks for all suggestions
one of many types at Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foam.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	273448  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #14

Don't shop for this on a windy day...

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #15

Is it pointless to use the Max aire vents, I have 2, when I'm using the AC?? I know I plan on leaving the flap on ends of bed open a couple inches especially while sleeping as I've seen suggested. I'm just wondering how effective and/or efficient the AC will run and combating condensation using the max aire vents will be if I'm using AC
Old 05-18-2022, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Is it pointless to use the Max aire vents, I have 2, when I'm using the AC?? I know I plan on leaving the flap on ends of bed open a couple inches especially while sleeping as I've seen suggested. I'm just wondering how effective and/or efficient the AC will run and combating condensation using the max aire vents will be if I'm using AC
As far as my experience goes the tent bed end condensation is only a problem on cooler nights... say about hi-50's and lower

the Max-aire vent in the bathroom on low and the tent un-zipped about 8-12 inches above your head is enough to evacuate that expelled moist air from your breath and pull it out the fan exhaust...

If you want to use the AC on a cool night go ahead, but I have never found a reason to need it... it certainly will help de-humidify if you use a small fan to circulate air inside the trailer.

on warmer nights condensation on the tent ends is not much of a problem, and if you need the AC on for comfort then use it. I have a 20 inch fan that I put on the floor and blow straight up to circulate the conditioned air better. If you use the Max aire fan with the AC I would not use it on anything but LOW. Generally the electric is free so try combinations to suit your needs.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-18-2022, 04:43 PM   #17

If you are going to use formboard I recommend the faced version, for two reasons; Includes a vapor retarder & Provides moisture resistance. The unfaced version dose not provide these benefits and the faced also help prevent mold growth.

The r factor will not really matter since this use will reduce the insulation factor over time, the general products and not manufactured to be used in any compressed manned, laying on them will compress them and reduce the insulation factor, however with the vapor barrier of a faced one you should be fine for what you as trying to solve.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote