Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 12:18 PM   #1

Demolished Outdoor Kitchen Door on 235S

Yesterday, the unthinkable happened while en route for a relaxing Memorial Day Weekend at the camprgound. While traveling, my outdoor kitchen door on my brand new 2022 Flagstaff Shamrock 235S opened on its own while on the road. I had just checked the door prior to departure to make sure it was firmly closed but it indeed, popped open and hit a utility policy ripping the door completely off the unit and flinging it into the entry door, putting a softball sized hole in the entry door. My question is this: the loss will be covered by insurance but are parts readily available for this unit, particualrly the decal that extends over the outdoor kitchen door and the entry door? Has anyone had any experience with replacing an outdoor kitchen door and/or entry door? At the campground right now and still fuming and drowning my sorrows. Any info/insight would be helpful. Thanks!
BostonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #2

My previous TT had a nice, large, outdoor kitchen with a large door. Quite a few times I would look into my rear view mirrors and see that the kitchen door was open even though I knew that I had latched it. There was no way to lock the door so I changed out the two bottom latches to the lockable type. I always made sure that the door was locked before moving and the problem went away. Good Luck on your repairs, , ,

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #3

You should be able to get both doors and the decals from Forest River especially since this is a current model. Older decals don't seem to get reproduced once stock runs out.

May be as simple as unbolting the current doors and putting the new ones on.

-- Chuck
Old 05-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDave View Post
My question is this: the loss will be covered by insurance but are parts readily available for this unit, particualrly the decal that extends over the outdoor kitchen door and the entry door? Has anyone had any experience with replacing an outdoor kitchen door and/or entry door?

So sorry, brother! I am sure you are feeling miserable right now.
<- here's to all of us who make mistakes, and/or have mistakes thrust upon us.

Good news is that it's a current unit, on a popular model, and uses standard parts. You should be all good to get parts (and decals) in, and hopefully it's a straight unscrew/replace situation. Might have to have a close look at mounting hardware, though.

Pics, or would that be too painful?
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #5

Pictures.....

A couple of pictures that should be placed in the "don't let this happen to you" folder. Thanks to all that have replied! Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOOR 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	274021   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOOR 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	274022  
Old 05-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #6

Oof! Sorry, Dave! Make sure to take a real close look at how the door tore away from the frame/trailer, and what's left that's salvageable (eg, looks like the gas strut got torn out of the ball on the door), are you going to be in a good place to fix with a screwdriver, or will there be some reinforcements made to remount the door?

We love our 235S. When Thurman posted about his open door, I immediately wondered about our kitchen door, too. No problems as of yet, but it sticks in the back of my mind.

Sorry again, friend. You've definitely earned your wings today.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #7

What could I have done better?

This is an expensive lesson. It's really not so much the $$ but the aggravation involved in getting this fixed - finding parts, dropping it off for service, etc. I work for the insurance company that insures the camper so hopefully they'll help me with the entire process. I have an entire summer devoted to using the new camper and I intend to continue but without the outdoor kitchen, it will be more difficult because that was one of the selling points for me. I absolutely double checked the door before I left. Opened it and then reclosed it very firmly so I know it was latched. What happened from there is a mystery to me but anyone with a Rockwood Roo or Flagstaff Shamrock 235S, please make sure you TRIPLE check your outdoor kitchen door before you leave - I only DOUBLE checked and look where it got me - a mangled door and a whole lot of aggravation.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #8

I don't think you could have done anything differently. If there hadn't been a utility pole there, you would have been fine.
We've had windows all of a sudden pop open and storage bins pop open as we traveled down the road.
You might want to put in stronger/larger locks once you get it repaired. You shouldn't have to do that, but it is what it is...
Old 05-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
anyone with a Rockwood Roo or Flagstaff Shamrock 235S, please make sure you TRIPLE check your outdoor kitchen door before you leave - I only DOUBLE checked and look where it got me - a mangled door and a whole lot of aggravation.
Quick question, Dave, and I hope you take no offense… when you were checking your door, did you double check EACH LATCH, or just the door itself? I have found that - when closing/securing the kitchen door - I have to address each of the two latches seperately, pressing inward to ensure that both latches are firmly engaged… it’s very easy to get the door closed with only one latch engaged. And, the way these things flex, wouldn’t surprise me at all if one latch could be easily disengaged if it were the only latch, er, engaged.

Part 2: did you keylock the latches, or just press close them? I don’t know if keylocking would help keep the latch tongue from being able to be compressed/retracted, but it’s a question (we usually button up and lock each door/panel when we depart… it’s a hassle, but provides a small amount of peace of mind).

Sorry again for your woes. Hopefully you’re made whole with little hassle.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
Canadian Member

Our Rockwood 5er has an outdoor kitchen and the struts that hold it open are very strong, maybe too strong. I wonder if, on BostonDave’s Shamrock, the door wasn’t fitted well enough and the latch was not protruding deep enough in the strike plate hole that’s supposed to secure it? These towables do twist when going down the road but a poor fitment is the only thing I can think of that would cause the door to open.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Yesterday, the unthinkable happened while en route for a relaxing Memorial Day Weekend at the camprgound. While traveling, my outdoor kitchen door on my brand new 2022 Flagstaff Shamrock 235S opened on its own while on the road. I had just checked the door prior to departure to make sure it was firmly closed but it indeed, popped open and hit a utility policy ripping the door completely off the unit and flinging it into the entry door, putting a softball sized hole in the entry door. My question is this: the loss will be covered by insurance but are parts readily available for this unit, particualrly the decal that extends over the outdoor kitchen door and the entry door? Has anyone had any experience with replacing an outdoor kitchen door and/or entry door? At the campground right now and still fuming and drowning my sorrows. Any info/insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Although I too have an outside kitchen on my fiver, I've not had any damage to mine to speak of. I did have an accident with my fiver last summer that required the entire back cap (or wall) to be replaced. This wall included a large FR Sabre logo on that back wall, but no graphics.

A couple of weeks ago, we finally got the back wall replaced with another one from FR Parts. When it was ordered, it was to include the Sabre logo, but did not have one when it was unboxed. The shop doing the repair said they were going to get a vendor whom does vinyl wraps for their vehicles to create one and have them install it on the now blank back cap.

Since your RV is new, it shouldn't be a problem getting the needed replacement parts from FR. It took us several months to get the back wall finally shipped due to a major snafu by Campers Inn who was an authorized dealer that could order the part on behalf of the repair shop. From my experience, all I can say is stay on whoever you choose to do your repairs and regularly check in with them. I had to get involved to finally get the part shipping by contacting several folks at FR Parts and Campers Inn and not relying solely on the repair shop to resolve the problem. Get involved early on, if and when its warranted.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #12

No outside kitchen on my Roo so I'm just guessing:

Cabin door has two (2) locks. One just locks the handle, the other sets a deadbolt. Perhaps the kitchen latch locks just lock the handle and the latch can open even with the handle locked? Would seen two latches should be fine even if one was loose.

Good luck on the repairs!

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
No outside kitchen on my Roo so I'm just guessing:

Cabin door has two (2) locks. One just locks the handle, the other sets a deadbolt. Perhaps the kitchen latch locks just lock the handle and the latch can open even with the handle locked? Would seen two latches should be fine even if one was loose.

Good luck on the repairs!

-- Chuck

Our outside kitchen appears to be about the same size as that of the OP's. Ours has two corner latches and a 751 key lock. Before every trip with ours, all outside doors are verified securely latched and those with key locks are in the locked position to ensure they don't open while traveling.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Our outside kitchen appears to be about the same size as that of the OP's. Ours has two corner latches and a 751 key lock. Before every trip with ours, all outside doors are verified securely latched and those with key locks are in the locked position to ensure they don't open while traveling.
I'd say the 235S kitchen door is a bit larger, GP, though - as you mention - your latch system is three point (one central/bottom, two either side down low) with interference style closures (eg, a tab rotates into position and uses the frame of the door as a backing plate), while the OP's is two point (two at the bottom, either side) with retractable latches that use an inset striker plate to 'lock.'

One seems more secure (the Sabre 37FLH), the other seems a little more convenient (the 235S). Couple that with the larger door, and the 235 system looks like it has less 'security' against said problem baked into the design.

Seems like OP (and the rest of us 235'ers) could easily add the corner latches for some additional security. (of course, I'm also betting that only one of his latches was fully closed/secured, too).

Good reminder to check it all (double or triple, as need be) and - most importantly - stay safe, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	three-point-system.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	274059   Click image for larger version

Name:	two-point-system.png
Views:	60
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	274060  
Old 05-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #15

I experienced the same thing with my OS kitchen door opening while traveling. Lucky, another person pointed it out to me at a traffic light. Now I make sure the two side thumb locks are engaged and also make sure the bottom lock is locked. I was sure lucky it was caught in time.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #16
Canadian Member

My outdoor kitchen has slam latches like in Rhumblefish's 2nd picture. I wonder if the problem here is restricted to the locks in Rhumblefish's 1st picture - thumb locks and 751 locks? They may be more susceptible to letting go with the twisting of the frame.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My outdoor kitchen has slam latches like in Rhumblefish's 2nd picture. I wonder if the problem here is restricted to the locks in Rhumblefish's 1st picture - thumb locks and 751 locks? They may be more susceptible to letting go with the twisting of the frame.
OP has the "slam latches" (like you and me). The latch on our outdoor kitchen is deceptive, if I remember correctly - it's captive in a recessed latchplate (with rounded edges), not interference-style like the slamlatch on a big Class A. Kinda think we (the slamlatch 235's) can add thumb locks for some additional security.

I kinda suspect only one of the slamlatches was engaged, though OP says he double checked. I've had a couple instances of one of the latches not engaging when I shut it, but I make sure to press both sides once the door is closed (this was similar to the hood closure process on a car of mine - set down, then push to latch).

Dave, not meaning to push but - in your doublechecking - do you remember if you actually had both latches, er, latched?
Old 06-06-2022, 07:14 PM   #18

Finally a 5er with an outdoor kitchen on our 2022 Montana. What a waste of storage space!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #19

Door opened

Quote:
This is an expensive lesson. It's really not so much the $$ but the aggravation involved in getting this fixed - finding parts, dropping it off for service, etc. I work for the insurance company that insures the camper so hopefully they'll help me with the entire process. I have an entire summer devoted to using the new camper and I intend to continue but without the outdoor kitchen, it will be more difficult because that was one of the selling points for me. I absolutely double checked the door before I left. Opened it and then reclosed it very firmly so I know it was latched. What happened from there is a mystery to me but anyone with a Rockwood Roo or Flagstaff Shamrock 235S, please make sure you TRIPLE check your outdoor kitchen door before you leave - I only DOUBLE checked and look where it got me - a mangled door and a whole lot of aggravation.
I’m sure you did lock it. These things are flimsy. Just bouncing down the road I’m sure tweeked the door enough to release it. It doesn’t take much and if it was not set up from factory tight , even more of a chance for it to pop open. After you get it repaired, try to set up a backup latch so it don’t happen again. Your not the first this has happened to. Sorry , I know how you feel.
Crabbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #20

Have 2015 FR on the road storage door was damaged, called MFG company gave them numbers on door sticker had new door in bout 3 weeks
Meritman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor kitchen