Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #1

Dinette booth pulling away the wall 2020 235s

Has anyone ever had this issue with a Roo or Shamrock? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7987.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	228484Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7976.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	228485Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7802.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	228486Click image for larger version

Name:	60606929748__909CC56D-DB35-42BA-9F3B-5819623AF6D0.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	228487
Basically what’s happening here is when you close the slide out. the last 4 inches the dinette booth starts to pull away from the wall. When you open the slide out it adheres to the wall. Rock solid, you would never know there was an issue. The numerous holes you see are the dealers failed attempt at trying to find the aluminum stud in the wall.(without using a stud finder) And told me there’s no stud in the wall . The dealers solution is to cut the panel and weld a stud inside the wall. (I kid you not) but first they must get permission from the factory for approval. My response was absolutely not. The issue I explained to them is actually in the slide and not the dinette booth. No Mr customer the slide is perfectly fine. Is the answer I got. “Really “ I took it home and I’m waiting for there phone call,it will be a cold day in hell before they’ll ever call me back. I decided to do some exploring after I got home with it. And what I found is that the slide is actually twisting/ flexing. And the end at the front of the camper is two inches higher. And that little twist is what’s causing the dinette to pull away from the wall. After I figured this out I called the factory service line and explained what I had found. And what the dealers solution was. His response was give me a few days. I have to contact the dealer. That was a week ago. I used a stud finder to find the stud and there’s a stud. The aluminum stud is as strong as a aluminum can. The whole dinette weighs about two pounds. I’m not even kidding. 2 pounds. I was expecting it to be slightly heavier. Has anyone heard of an issue with the slide out flexing and twisting? What’s upsetting is I ordered this unit and waited 2 1/2 months and now all I have is a headache.
Camperlifedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperlifedad View Post
Has anyone ever had this issue with a Roo or Shamrock? Attachment 228484Attachment 228485Attachment 228486Attachment 228487
Basically what’s happening here is when you close the slide out. the last 4 inches the dinette booth starts to pull away from the wall. When you open the slide out it adheres to the wall. Rock solid, you would never know there was an issue. The numerous holes you see are the dealers failed attempt at trying to find the aluminum stud in the wall.(without using a stud finder) And told me there’s no stud in the wall . The dealers solution is to cut the panel and weld a stud inside the wall. (I kid you not) but first they must get permission from the factory for approval. My response was absolutely not. The issue I explained to them is actually in the slide and not the dinette booth. No Mr customer the slide is perfectly fine. Is the answer I got. “Really “ I took it home and I’m waiting for there phone call,it will be a cold day in hell before they’ll ever call me back. I decided to do some exploring after I got home with it. And what I found is that the slide is actually twisting/ flexing. And the end at the front of the camper is two inches higher. And that little twist is what’s causing the dinette to pull away from the wall. After I figured this out I called the factory service line and explained what I had found. And what the dealers solution was. His response was give me a few days. I have to contact the dealer. That was a week ago. I used a stud finder to find the stud and there’s a stud. The aluminum stud is as strong as a aluminum can. The whole dinette weighs about two pounds. I’m not even kidding. 2 pounds. I was expecting it to be slightly heavier. Has anyone heard of an issue with the slide out flexing and twisting? What’s upsetting is I ordered this unit and waited 2 1/2 months and now all I have is a headache.

I guess No one has ever had this issue. 107 views and not one response. I guess this issue is unique to my unit. Not that I would want anyone to have this issue. It’s upsetting that you pay exorbitant amounts of money for these units. You’d half expect them to be somewhat perfect. Minor defects I get. After all they’re made by humans. And less face it humans suck. My dog is more reliable. Lol
Old 05-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

I think you'll need to go the warranty route.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I think you'll need to go the warranty route.

Yes the warranty route is in stall mode with the dealer and the factory. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t heard a peep. Factory service said they would call me back in a few days. The dealer said give us a week. I’m calling the factory on Monday and after I’m done with him. I’m giving my Attorney a call. I already spoke with the Attorney and we both agreed let’s give them the opportunity to not do the right thing. And so far neither one of them has returned a phone call. I’ve been Down this road with a previous Camper and in that case the factory replaced my camper with a new unit. This I’m sure is fixable by the factory and I don’t have an issue taking it to them. And I don’t want to be reimbursed for travel or lodging. I just want it fixed. After all I ordered this unit fully loaded with all the options from the factory. I didn’t expect to have a unit with slide problems. Obviously the craftsmanship on rockwood Roo’s is sub par. And after finding this blog it’s obvious they have had issues over a span of several model years. Some of which I’ve had with my 2020 like the leaking bed end gaskets. No I’m not a happy camper. The only thing I have going for me right now is. I paid cash so I can trade it in at another dealer and get something else. If this isn’t resolved quickly. And so far they’re are playing the typical stall game. They’re in for a rude awakening. In the end I’ll get what I paid for and then some.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Tried larger diameter wood screws? I'd not go longer not knowing the depth of the wall. Fifteen years ago I found the cabinet over the galley on my Roo was pulling out of the ceiling! Some larger diameter screws solved the problem. Still good 15 years later.

Trailer at a dealer for any repair will sit there for weeks...

-- Chuck
Old 05-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Tried larger diameter wood screws? I'd not go longer not knowing the depth of the wall. Fifteen years ago I found the cabinet over the galley on my Roo was pulling out of the ceiling! Some larger diameter screws solved the problem. Still good 15 years later.

-- Chuck

The slide itself is twisting and causing the screws to pull away from the aluminum frame inside the wall. And the slide sits 2” higher at the front of the camper. And it only does it the last four inches of closing it. So something is definitely off. The problem with these units is the underbelly is completely sealed. And you can’t get a good look at what’s actually happening. Without removing that cover.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Part-Time Campground Host

Unhappy

We had a similar issue in our camper this past year. The dinette seat was seperating from the wall, but that was caused by the wall seperating from the floor on the slide. You could actually see the ground where the wall and floor were separated. Turned out that the slide wall was not properly fastened to the floor. There are two aluminum "beams" along the bottom of the wall that the floor should be screwed to using the "L" bracket (you can see the "L" bracket and "beams" under the slide when it is out). The screws were put in between the two "beams" and had all popped out except for a couple. The fix was to drill a few new holes in the "L" bracket, draw in the wall with a horizontal jack, and then put more self tapping screws in that were actually in the "beams". So far it has held.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #8

Having same problem with a 2020 2806BS.
Will be using 1/8-1/4” Toggler anchors. Good luck with these in the past.
Dick
rstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
After speaking with the Factory, and they had me do a few checks with a magnet including a video. The end result is, it’s missing the steel backer inside the wall. I also feel the slide out in and of its self is out of alignment adding to the issue.
Forest River is building me a.complete outside wall for the slide box. And the dealer is going to install this. They will swap over the windows and interior cabinets & such.
After this is done. I pray that you won’t be able to tell any of this work was done.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperlifedad View Post
After speaking with the Factory, and they had me do a few checks with a magnet including a video. The end result is, it’s missing the steel backer inside the wall. I also feel the slide out in and of its self is out of alignment adding to the issue.
Forest River is building me a.complete outside wall for the slide box. And the dealer is going to install this. They will swap over the windows and interior cabinets & such.
After this is done. I pray that you won’t be able to tell any of this work was done.
Please keep us posted..I have a new 2021 Jayco Greyhawk 30z and having the same exact issues.
virgilsmithrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilsmithrn View Post
Please keep us posted..I have a new 2021 Jayco Greyhawk 30z and having the same exact issues.
Since Jayco is owned by Thor Industries, not Forest River, what are Jayco or Thor saying to you? It clearly should be under warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #12

I am ONLY GUESSING here but.... we have the ROO 235S and that slide is pretty large/long AND...... when it is stowed for travel, the floor (I think it might be 3/4" plywood) does NOT seem too sturdy. I step VERY carefully on it when I need to because I am scared to death it wont support me, although it always has.

SO here is my guess.... do you think the floor is flexing or not supporting the seat/cabinet when the slide is NOT extended?? When you rack it out for living, that front edge bumps down and is supported by the floor of the RV, but when you rack it in the floor of the slide (at least on ours) more or less "floats" an inch or so ABOVE the floor of the RV..... Your statement that slide out and it mates up, slide in and it pulls away tells me the floor is broken and not "holding" the seat up where it should???

You might be able to gently lift the carpet on the front edge of the slide floor and use a flashlight or mirror to peek and see if there is cracked wood below that seat??

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #13

2019 Rockwood 2608bs dinette and wall out of square

I have discovered very similar symptoms with our 2019 Rockwood Ultralite 2608BS. When the dinette/sofa slide is 'out', all appears fine. However, when the slide is 'in' the dinette bench is separated from the wall. Note, it is possible to lift the end of the bench from the floor to get it to meet with the wall, therefore the bench is detached from the floor as well. The bench is only attached in the corner by a few brave screws. It seems the slide angle of the floor to the wall is no longer 90 degrees. Nothing is immediately obvious looking from the outside.

I have to study this more and call Forest River. Hopefully they can help as dealerships in Northern California are not much help these days especially.
Thank you forum members for being here.

The picture is on its side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_154212.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	263210  
Lizyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:20 AM   #14

This is much like the issue with ebemis and rstowe above. The floor (plywood) is sagging when the slide is in. Forest River refered me to the dealer. The local dealer won't give a Forest River owner the time of day if the unit was not purchased directly from them. Sigh, I did not buy from them. Any ideas on how to support the slide floor during travel would be appreciated. I do not have the equipment used to remove and repair a slide floor.
Lizyager is offline   Reply With Quote