Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

Dometic fridge struggling

So I have a '16 Roo with a dometic DMR 702 fridge. Couple weeks ago we camped during a 95 def heat wave and the fridge struggled bad. I've read all about running 24 hours before and not packing it full ( I thought no this was our issue) but I'd like to maybe add fans to help improve performance. Looks like it is pretty easy to add them in the lower fridge compartment at the condenser. Is that worth it or should they really go at the top vent? Looking for a quick improvement before we go again this weekend. Any help is appreciated thanks!
toco66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

We have a properly installed fridge. Manufacturer installed two outside vents. A couple of small fans in that space to move air.

We installed a 2 D cell circulation fan in the lower unit. The upper always seems to be correct.

We always start out with a gallon of frozen water in the fridge and freezer. Mom's drinking water. When traveling the frozen one from the freezer is in the main section.

Careful to have sort of a slot in the middle of the fridge top to bottom for air movement with the fan. Stuck a Popeye's chicken box in there one day. Made a difference when I moved it.

Temps in the lower range from 45 to 32. Depends on how much we open it. How much bottled drinks we add to it. Outside temp etc.

Full units work better than half empty ones.

We have the Dometic 12 cu ft four door unit.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

These are propane refrigerators with secondary electric cooling which is much less effective. Run the unit on LP, it can run for weeks without depleting your LP supply.

-- Chuck
Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Last trip we went out I put the fridge on electric in the driveway 2 days before we left. Checked on it the day before when we were going to load up the food and it was only slightly cool. Did not have time to mess with it so I switched it to propane. Fridge got real cold fairly quickly.

Went on our trip, came back and decided to look into the fridge issue. Took the outside panel off for the the first time and found it kind of dusty and dirty in there. Not horrible but looked like a few years of road dust and such. Decided the first thing to do would be get out my air compressor and blow that stuff out.

Blew all the dirt out and decided to take a shot with electric again though I didn't have hope anything would change since it wasn't terribly dirty. Wow, the fridge worked great on electric now. Outside air temps were in the 90's. I don't know how what I did really helped anything but I can say it was working just fine again.

I will second the idea of using propane. Don't be afraid to use it. Seems to work a bit better than electric and it barely uses any gas at all.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge