Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #1

Door width measurements

I have a 2021 Rockwood Roo 233S. I currently have it on storage so I can't access it quickly and wondering if anyone here knew the width of the entry door measurement. I'm looking at a protective screen so my dog doesn't rip the screen on the door as he did last year. These screens come in 3 sizes and idk what size I have. Thank you for any help
Frosty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #2

It measures about 26” wide
Looking for a TV that can tow whatever camper we decide on!
RDWRER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:24 AM   #3

Be careful

AHHH I have already been down this road and as soon as I can get back to the storage lot for pictures I will send you what we did.......

The very cool Dometic (I think that was the maker or maybe Lippert) door guard that you can easily find on Amazon specifically for this purpose will NOT FIT your door sorry to report.... it is like a fine nat's *$% too wide to fit inside the screen door track! The Roo doors are Dexter made so the size is too narrow for the Lippert insert.

I bought the $29 (+/-) bronze screen door protector from Lowe's w/my Veteran Discount.... cut the legs to length..... dremel tooled a slot into the channel of the screen door track for it to fit inside on both sides..... and inserted it into the track for a perfect fit. The door is now "heavy enough" to easily close and latch when pushed/swung closed and even sounds solid when it does close/latch a nice change from the hollow/tinny empty feeling we always had previously.

Once I can get pictures for you I will post,
Ed

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #4

Our solution

OK here goes, to start with on our 235S rig, the Dexter Door screen ID and OD measurements look like so.. Inside edge to edge is only 26-5/16"

Outside edge (fits into door frame opening) is at 29" (+/- a smidge)

We bought this from Lowe's;

for;

Then... removed the screen door from the rig at the Hinge Points (3 screws at each of the three hinges);

WARNING.....
These are self tapping screws and pretty small so do so carefully or they will NOT hold the threads when you put it back together... to help fight that I added Loctite thread (blue) agent to each screw when putting back together

First I laid the screen protector on the door frame so I could mark WHERE the "legs" of the device fell on the door frame vertical side rails so I would know WHERE to cut my channels/grooves. With that decision made, I measured to trim/shorten the "legs" so that they were end to end slightly smaller length than the 29" OD... basically here you are aiming to remove the thickness of the aluminum screen door frame material... if I recall I targeted for ~3/16" +/- narrower than the OD. SAVE those (or at least one) of the scraps you remove because it can be used as a test feeler gauge when you cut your grooves to make sure they will slide into them. Using a Drill bit that was the SAME diameter as the groove channel in the screen door, and then a Dremel small tube shaped grinder, we cut four slots into the aluminum door frame grooves that matched the size of the screen protector "legs" (this is where you can take that scrap and TEST fit to see if you carved enough out.

In the end I discovered the screen protector COULD be slightly bent in the middle so I MIGHT have been able NOT to have to cut "peel back tabs" on one side.. but since I was TRYING to keep that new protector in proper shape.. I used a small cutter to create a "peel back tab" on the hinge side of the door (figuring that would be furthest from slamming forces at the latch side) so that I could "open" a path for inserting the protector legs..... The idea was to bend the protector as little as possible and then just secure that tab back in place with a self tapping screw;

Here is the latch side;
and...

Excuse the extra scratches and bad paint job I have yet to have the time to correct that but do plan on doing so...

For NOW when we want to "lock" the screen door to keep it from accidentally being unlatched/open, we simply throw the door handle closed. The result looks like so;

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
Old 05-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #5

I purchased the 30" door kit (unit is 26.5" wide) for my 235S, very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086HJRRRS
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:59 AM   #6

That's the Lippert item which does NOT fit a Dexter door....it measures and looks like it should, but is just an 1/8" too wide to fit into the Dexter Door
Old 05-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
That's the Lippert item which does NOT fit a Dexter door....it measures and looks like it should, but is just an 1/8" too wide to fit into the Dexter Door
Okay. Not straight up disagreeing, but - for what it's worth - it's currently working in my 235S' door (has been since July of last year). *shrug* Measurements MAY include the track pins, though. Maybe it's in my door too snug? Seemed just right.

OP has a similar vintage 233, I'm making the assumption that his door is the same as ours. That might not be a good idea on my part.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

Ahh please do!!

You know it was REAL weird on mine I did same as you Rhumblefish... measured and bought the 30" because even though my Amazon stated "for Lippert Door only" the measurements told me it SHOULD fit.

I am HAPPY you got it to fit your's..on my door I could NOT get it to fit at all....as I evaluated what to do, I considered breaking the plastic pin/guide off the bottom on one side to see if I could "gently encourage it to fit" but at $90 (I think i paid that with tax) I decided to return it undamaged instead..... figured destroy it, or my door and I would be out even more money and still not have the screen protector I wanted.

MAYBE (I know my plastic handle has "Dexter" embossed on it) some of us have different doors on our rigs???.. is your's marked Dexter or Lippert anywhere?

FWIW... I really LIKE the design of the one you bought and wanted in the worst way for it to work, I just could not force it into the tracks where it belonged and the worst part was it was only "too wide" by 1/16-1/8" or so at most so very frustrating to me! :-(

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
Old 05-30-2022, 05:10 PM   #9

I'll check mine out, Ed, and get back to the board. Mine is similar vintage to yours, can't imagine they used different door suppliers.

Tags
door