Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Smile Electric Shock on Rear Bumper

On our very first trip with our Rockwood Roo 19 we inadvertantly discovered that the rear bumper on the camper was "hot". My husband touched it without shoes on and received a shock. After process of elimination we discovered that the hot water heater was causing the issue. We shut off the electric and switched it over to gas. Water had leaked from the outside shower not being shut off all the way and leaked down the side of the camper into the hot water heater on the outside. we brought the camper in for repair and was told nothing was wrong with it. They told us it was most likely that the campground wasn't grounded. Are they just pulling our leg? They did say they replaced the coil in the hot water heater but that they didn't see anything wrong with it. Why would be be getting shocked just on the rear bumper if there was a problem with the campground outlet?

Thanks so much!
wendylew123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is not unusual for campgrounds to have electrical issues. Lack of grounding is a distinct possibility.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

There is probably an open ground where you plugged in. I had that when I plugged in at my home and received a slight shock. I checked the circuit and found that there was an open ground. I fixed the circuit and it cleared up the problem.
If I were you, I would invest in a surge supressor. It will alert you to any problems with the campground electric. Mine alerted me twice in the past 2 years- once when the voltage was low and once when there was a frequency problem with the campground electric. It also saved me from a power surge just last weekend when a thunder storm came through and the campground lost power and it came back on a short time later. Not sure how much you have in the ROO, but in my coach there are a lot of electronics. JMHO.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Like stated above - probably a ground issue.

I have a box that you plug into the outlet to verify it is hooked up right and has the proper voltage before I plug my Tailer into the shore power.
I know camping world has them for around $80 I think - might be a well worth investment.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

For about $8, this little device is worth that if there is a problem with the campground receptacle. Shop IDEAL Analog Multimeter GFCI Receptacle Tester at Lowes.com

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #6

I have one of these also and they sell the same tester for only a couple of dollars (don't remember how much) at Harbor Freight. Only problem is that gives you a 'snapshot' of the power at that time. Does not do anything to protect you over the longer term.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #7

You pfobably found it at the hot water heater.
I hhave the same thing mtnguy refed. Bought at harbor freight. Works well.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #8

I had a strange experience with electric shock.

After parking my 5er in its storage spot (no connections of any type), I was draining the hot water heater to change the anode. Upon touching the water, a shock ran through me - not alot, but enough to be noticed. Thinking it was a fluke, I tried it again multiple times - each one with the same result.

Then I looked up and realized what was going on - our storage spot is under a set of high power lines. The power lines are inducing a current in our trailer and was flowing through the water being drained (and me!)

As a pipeliner, I shouldn't have needed several tries to figure this out - it is a well known and understood phenomenon in the industry. Guess I'm a bit slow.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #9

Ground

I agree that there was a ground issues here. I don't think it was just involving your bumper but anything that is part of the frame. He just had the correct conditions at the bumper to feel it. I think the ground testers indicated will help to determine if it is a Campground issue.