Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Electric tongue jack

Hi all. I'm going to be installing an electric tongue jack Monday. My question is to connect directly to battery or my battery disconnect switch. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Roo23ss, pulled by a Nissan Armada.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Hi all. I'm going to be installing an electric tongue jack Monday. My question is to connect directly to battery or my battery disconnect switch. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Battery disconnect. Only the solar and trailer brakes bypass the cutoff on mine...one more step for a thief to figure out. Also keeps people from hitting the light on it in storage.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Battery disconnect. Only the solar and trailer brakes bypass the cutoff on mine...one more step for a thief to figure out. Also keeps people from hitting the light on it in storage.
Thanks. Kinda figured that but needed additional confirmation.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Consider an inline fuse for it too if it doesn't already have one.

Yes, some have lights that are hard to see in daylight and leaving light on by accident can kill battery in no time which is why it is best to connect to a switch or switched distribution terminal.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Yes, some have lights that are hard to see in daylight and leaving light on by accident can kill battery in no time which is why it is best to connect to a switch or switched distribution terminal.
Good point on the fuse. I put mine on the DC breaker for the slide. I figure I will never use them at the same time so it should not blow.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

It does have the inline fuse included. Also came with two remotes.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

Most tongue jack lights are not very effective. Since I might use it once out of every 100 hookups but I use the TST repeater every time I used the light switch to power the repeater.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Depends on where your battery disconnect is. If it’s right there by the battery, then sure, but if it was like the one in my Flagstaff, by the distribution panel inside, it would be a pain.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #9

I installed it inside the battery housing. Located on the front of the trailer behind the propane. It should be simple but prepared for the worse. LoL
Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #10

Well I did the installation yesterday. All in all it was pretty simple to complete. While testing it, the chain caught on to a chain. Heard it straining but it popped off the chain and continued. No damages. Can't wait to use it when we do head out.

I did connect to the disconnect is suggested. Really should save battery drain. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #11

what about getting one of those 7 pin connectors and plugging it into the tow vehicle ? would that work ? Or not ?
pudgybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgybear View Post
what about getting one of those 7 pin connectors and plugging it into the tow vehicle ? would that work ? Or not ?
That's a consideration for the future. I did see how you can connect that way. But since I already have the disconnect, I went that direction.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
Boondocking Only

Mine came from the factory bypassing the battery shut off. Battery shut off is located under refrigerator on mine.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:

The main reason for a battery disconnect is to remove any parasitic loads (like the LP/CO detector) that are on all the time. The second is to remove any loads you forgot to turn off (like a light or the fridge - the fridge may not have LP gas to burn or 110VAC to heat, but the brains will still be "thinking" if you left it on).

Many units are wired with some items always connected (i.e., they bypass the disconnect switch). This is especially true for the older units that had the disconnect switch inside near the power center, rather than under the tongue at the battery. The most frequent items left powered are the tongue jack and slideouts. These two items typically have momentary in/out or extend/retract switches and therefore can't be "left on."

So it's really up to you how you want to wire your disconnect switch.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric