Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #1

Entry door manufacturer

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. We recently purchased our first hybrid, a 2015 Rockwood Roo 183. I'm looking to do some modifications, including installing a screen door protector. The one I'm considering is the Lippert Components screen defender. However, this is only compatible with Lippert doors. Mine doesn't have a sticker on it to determine the manufacturer. Does anyone know who makes these for the Roos?

Bonus question: What have you done to protect the lower half of your screen door from the errant child or pet?

Thanks!
Rock-n-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I can't address the specific question you have with that said I would think you could measure the screen door and match the specs to door protectors offered a most big box stores (I would think they need to be installed on the inside due to clearance from the main door) JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #3

Some ideas:

I would just invent a protector from common hardware store materials. They sell plexiglass in sheets about the right size. Now cut it to fit and find a way to fasten it into the frame.

If you're not the DIY type, check with a store that specifically sells doors and ask if they can do a custom screen door.

And you can also ask your RV manufacturer who they source their doors from and pursue that.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-n-Roo View Post
However, this is only compatible with Lippert doors.
Thanks!
I wouldn't worry overmuch about Lippert's claim that it only fits Lippert doors. AFAIK, all RV entry doors use standard sizing so Lippert should have a screen that fits yours. The only question is if your screen door frame has the extra slots to fit those tabs into. If it does, you are golden. If not, you will have to do something else like the pexiglass suggestion.

I like the Lippert protector because that expanded flat sheet mesh still allows unobstructed air flow for ventilation. The pexiglass would not. Hint, though - - if you have a larger dog that gets up onto its hind legs and paws, you'll need one of these for your door top section, too. Even then the middle sliding section would be vulnerable. A piece of pexi might be the only/best solution for that part of the door.

This guy has a really good tip at about the 1-1/2 minute point in his video:
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

RV doors come in many, many sizes.

I needed a screen door on my RV, and it took a lot of looking to find the right size. I found there are hundreds of sizes, some with radius corners and some square, with many other features. Almost at the point if giving up, I stumbled across the right size screen door with a complete door-frame at a surplus area at Gamblers RV in Quartzsite. It was almost a perfect fit.

The latch was different, but it was nice having a screen, so I made it work. Unfortunately, the main door was a little twisted and never closed without a fight, so it also needed repair.

eBay had a new door with screen and door-frame that was the right size, but I wasn't fast enough. Another one didn't have a screen. And shipping was more than the door. Amazon had quite a few, for a healthy price. Other websites lack sufficient information to check fit, and shipping is always a guessing game until you order it.

So I kept looking. Then learned about Walts, an RV parts store in Corona, CA. I was going to SoCal, so it was worth a shot. I drove there, and looked through their RV doors in the warehouse. Again, all sorts of different sizes, but nothing fit. I didn't give up. Found more out back. Nothing fit. Looked through probably about a hundred doors total. But there was this one solitary door out in the yard that was really close to a fit. Since I had replaced the door frame once before, I knew there was a little extra space between the RV's aluminum framing, so I bought the door.

The extra space was needed. The new door frame was about 3/8" wider and 1/2" taller. Turns out, some of that the framing gap was also needed for the doir latch, but a little hammering made it fit, and a block plane worked very well trimming the fiberglass that bulged out.

So now I have a new door that closes properly and it has a proper screen.

*Whew!*
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

We have a 2015 Georgetown and I want a screen protector on my screen door. The protector says it’s not compatible with Lippert steps. I’m thinking it’s because of the sensors, but I don’t know where to find one that will fit.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
We have a 2015 Georgetown and I want a screen protector on my screen door. The protector says it’s not compatible with Lippert steps. I’m thinking it’s because of the sensors, but I don’t know where to find one that will fit.
You should be asking this question in the Georgetown sub-forum. This thread is in the Roo/Shamrock Hybrid Trailer sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #9
New here, old elsewhere

Measure the frame around the bottom section of screen. Check amazon for the correct size acrylic panel. Order a roll of Velcro and install. You can easily remove for cleaning or if you need the airflow! Cost me a total of $33 and I have most of the Velcro left over for another project!
Old 05-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

My 12 pound mini Dachshund could knock out the screen door on my camper regardless of a protector. Solution is a separate gate so she can't contact the door -- PITA getting in and out of course. Or just keep it closed.

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #11
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
My 12 pound mini Dachshund could knock out the screen door on my camper regardless of a protector. Solution is a separate gate so she can't contact the door -- PITA getting in and out of course. Or just keep it closed.

-- Chuck
You may need a new latch. My 30 lb mix can't push mine open.
lwbfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door