Old 06-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

Eternabond tape question

I was just reading the instructions I downloaded about how to apply the eternabond tape...it references an Eternabond Primer to apply before putting the tape on. Does anyone use this? We don't have it, so I'm hoping it's not something people usually do... ;-)
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Boojca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #2

The primer is not necessary. All you need is a good clean non-oily or waxy surface. I have used Mineral Spirits to clean caulk and roofing and sides, quickly followed by 80 to 90% IPA ( drug store alcohol) which will leave everything squeaky clean. Others have used acetone. Just remember that both the mineral spirits and acetone will attack the rubber roofs if left on and not wiped off, which is why the IPA is required to wipe off those petro-chemicals before applying the Eternabond.

Why use that stuff in the first place? Well they both do a great job cleaning the crap, and road grime off surfaces.

Use a wallpaper seam roller or heavy finger pressure to activate the glue adhesive on the Eternabond and you will be good to go for many seasons.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
WFD

They also recommend the primer if applying in colder temperatures. I just did our roof and the acetone followed by rubbing alcohol cleaned it up real nice.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #4

I probably used alcohol when I did my roof joints 15 years ago. Still water tight.

Not sure what putting beer on the roof does. IPA?

-- Chuck
Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

I never use mineral spirits on anything I want something to stick well to. Use acetone instead. No oily residue like mineral spirits. Just don't let it sit long as its a pretty good solvent.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I probably used alcohol when I did my roof joints 15 years ago. Still water tight.

Not sure what putting beer on the roof does. IPA?

-- Chuck

In this case, I believe IPA is referring to the "non-fun" type of alcohol - Isopropyl.
Elwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Love made-up jargon.

-- Chuck
Old 07-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Love made-up jargon.

-- Chuck
Isopropyl alcohol, or IPA is miscible in water, ethanol, ether, and chloroform. It dissolves ethyl cellulose, polyvinyl butyral, many oils, alkaloids, gums and natural resins.

Quote:
I never use mineral spirits on anything I want something to stick well to.
I use mineral spirits ( essentially paint thinner) to clean the roof and caulk as it cuts through many nasty, soiled spots quickly and easily on the roof or any caulk. I follow up with quickly evaporating IPA ( alcohol, not beer) to cut thru any left over mineral spirits.

Acetone should be used with gloves, and although mineral spirits followed by drug store IPA takes a little longer, I find it a superior cleaning/prep combination before applying Eternabond tape.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I never use mineral spirits on anything I want something to stick well to. Use acetone instead. No oily residue like mineral spirits. Just don't let it sit long as its a pretty good solvent.
I just did some roof maintenance this afternoon and cleaned up with acetone. Temp in the 70's and the acetone evaporates quickly. Apply, wipe, and it flashes dry in seconds.

I hate mineral spirits on anything I'm going to stick something to or paint.

As for the primer, may not be absolutely necessary on good clean, non-porous surfaces but if you have a tear in a roof for example, the primer will act as a sealer too and help the material bond far better than if just pressed on. About the same as applying duct tape to cardboard or bare wood. Might stick for a while but eventually it comes loose.

I think the manufacturer says to use the primer so the "Eterna" in their product name actually occurs.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #10

In my discussions with Eternabond directly, they advised there is no need to use the primer unless you are applying the tape in colder weather. They also said the surface does not have to be clean enough to eat off of but should be cleaned prior to applying tape. They suggested cleaning the roof with dawn dish soap, letting it dry and then using denatured alcohol to cut any remaining residue.
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Isopropyl alcohol, or IPA is miscible in water, ethanol, ether, and chloroform. It dissolves ethyl cellulose, polyvinyl butyral, many oils, alkaloids, gums and natural resins.

I use mineral spirits ( essentially paint thinner) to clean the roof and caulk as it cuts through many nasty, soiled spots quickly and easily on the roof or any caulk. I follow up with quickly evaporating IPA ( alcohol, not beer) to cut thru any left over mineral spirits.

Acetone should be used with gloves, and although mineral spirits followed by drug store IPA takes a little longer, I find it a superior cleaning/prep combination before applying Eternabond tape.
Absolutely correct
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond