Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

finally! brought home the shamrock!!!

Yay! Made the 2 1/2 hour trip out to Albany today to pick up our 233s! I was so nervous!

The tech was nice his boss, not so much. The only issues were it took a few tries to get one of the stove burners to light and the refrigerator light had to be tinkered with.

The bigger issue I felt pretty prepared for thanks to all of you! The rear mattress was wet. It has been raining since yesterday and the tech said the ends had been open for inspection prior to us arriving. Water pooled out off the canvas when we opened the bed from outside. The tech went and got a hose and soaked all the ends with us on the inside and there were no apparent leaks. However when we got home we had a tiny bit of pooled water and some moisture. I have everything open in the driveway trying to air it out but the rain is expected to continue over night.

My only real complaint was that the tech's boss was an ass about his tech helping my husband install the equalizer bars. Poor husband had no idea what he was doing and was trying to read the manual in the rain. The tech was super nice and felt bad do he was trying to help and got some good tools from the shop to help. I heard his boss yelling at him that his time was money and not to help us. Then the boss came over and told us to pretty much wrap it up his tech had other things to do! Um no one else was there for a walk through! That soured me. I just spent 20 grand and made it clear we were learning as we went!! We tipped the tech greatly.

The ride home was scary at first, wow the gas mileage sucked!! Lol!:

Thanks for preparing me for today! I'm going to need a LOT A Of hand holding still!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that seems like poor service on the owners part. I hate to hear stories like that. My dealer just took my truck and set up the WDH for me while I was signing papers and what not. By the time I was done they had the hitch all adjusted for my truck. Everything closed up and ready to take it on the road for a road test.

They then drove with me, showed me how to adjust the brake controller, etc... and made sure I was completely comfortable with it before heading back to the dealer. We had winds that day that were gusting up to 80 kph, so they even recommended I leave it with them (at no charge) until a calmer day when I could tow it home.

Of course the DW was anxious to get it home, so we called up her cousin who's a truck driver to come and drive it home for us.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

I wasn't sure what to expect from the dealer since it was an rvdirect purchase? I guess they figure they don't have to be nice since the chances aren't too good we will bring it all the way back for service? I heard another tech say to ours "what about customer service? " when our guy was telling his friend how he got in trouble for helping us. He appreciated the tip I'm sure!

My husband should have been better prepared but the timing of all this in the grand scheme of our life just left no room for him to prepare!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

Congratulations
I still remember as if it was yesterday when we bought our 1st trailer, a 1990 18" Westwind 5th wheel, what an experience.
I'm sure the tech will remember you for a long time where the boss has already forgotten that you emptied your wallet for him to stay in business.

Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Old Fella

Things have changed since the Internet, poor customer service won't get them where they want to be.
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post
Yay! Made the 2 1/2 hour trip out to Albany today to pick up our 233s! I was so nervous!

The tech was nice his boss, not so much. The only issues were it took a few tries to get one of the stove burners to light and the refrigerator light had to be tinkered with.

The bigger issue I felt pretty prepared for thanks to all of you! The rear mattress was wet. It has been raining since yesterday and the tech said the ends had been open for inspection prior to us arriving. Water pooled out off the canvas when we opened the bed from outside. The tech went and got a hose and soaked all the ends with us on the inside and there were no apparent leaks. However when we got home we had a tiny bit of pooled water and some moisture. I have everything open in the driveway trying to air it out but the rain is expected to continue over night.

My only real complaint was that the tech's boss was an ass about his tech helping my husband install the equalizer bars. Poor husband had no idea what he was doing and was trying to read the manual in the rain. The tech was super nice and felt bad do he was trying to help and got some good tools from the shop to help. I heard his boss yelling at him that his time was money and not to help us. Then the boss came over and told us to pretty much wrap it up his tech had other things to do! Um no one else was there for a walk through! That soured me. I just spent 20 grand and made it clear we were learning as we went!! We tipped the tech greatly.

Thanks for preparing me for today! I'm going to need a LOT A Of hand holding still!
Congrats!!! We've been out in our new Roo23ss twice this year.
just a tip... Keep an eye on that water issue. My new Roo leaked right off the lot. It only leaked when it was raining and the bunk doors were CLOSED. Water was penetrating the top seal and settling on the canvass. With no where to drain, the water would eventually leak into the camper. I did not experience any leaks with the bunks in the open position. I seasoned them well and the water runs right off with no leaks.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post

That was very nice of you guys to tip the technician. My dealer installed everything for me from the hitch, sway and brake controller. I don't think they would have wanted to see me trying to do that myself and towing that thing and something maybe not have been installed correctly.

Hockey Fans by chance?? Go Caps!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #8

I agree with Aussiecat, customer service is everything nowadays. We bought a Shamrock 233s this spring and the dealer set aside an hour and a half to have the tech do the walk through, and while I was doing the walk through another tech installed the new hitch and tow assist. Word of mouth is everything
TParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

What was the dealer's name? Pictures?
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock