Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

First Long Trip - 2014 23IKSS

Just got back yesterday from our 8 day trip to Eastern TN and then Destin, FL!

I'm pleased to say that we didn't have any issues to report and hauling, setup and teardown was a snap!

I was a bit concerned about bunk end leakage because I was only able to season the front bunk due to the length of our driveway (the back end has to butt right up to the garage so the bunk cannot be lowered). However, it rained 3 of the 8 nights, one night we had a 4 hour downpour and only had one tiny spot that dripped, but that was because the PUG wasn't positioned correctly and was making contact with the canvas on the corner. We corrected it and didn't have any further issues. Upon return, I had to give the front bunk a hard scrubbing to get rid of the thick mat of dead bugs on it, and still no leakage while closed!

Speaking of PUGS, they did a great job of keeping the bunk ends cooler in the hot Florida sun. We didn't have any large tree cover, so they were exposed pretty much all day. Due to the height of the camper, installing them was a bit of a challenge, even for a 6ft guy on a 3ft ladder...couldn't reach the middle of the bunk to put the clips on, but it stayed in place without them.

One thing that did bother me was the amount of rocking the unit does. I even bought the x-chocks for between the wheels, which did help but it still rocks quite a bit. Even when our friends would roll over in the other bunk at night, it would move the trailer and wake me up. Granted, I'm not the heaviest sleeper but I just wonder how much rocking everyone else experiences. Any tips/tricks on minimizing it would be appreciated.

Overall, we are very pleased with the unit. Even having 4 adults in it for 8 nights was very manageable with how much storage it has and room to move around inside.

By the way, if you ever get to the Florida panhandle, try to stay at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin. It is absolutely incredible! Very clean, well-maintained and right in the middle of the secluded, protected dunes. The campground area has a separate boardwalk than the day-use area, so campers pretty much have a private beach. It was really relaxing.
ShanerT75 is offline   Reply With Quote