Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Broken Toe

First "must do" mod for me

So far; two weekend trips (back to back weekends) in the 21SSL and nary a complaint. A couple of things that I can make 'better' but those are personal preference items, not fixing a bad design or anything.

Except....

When folded down, the floor of the bunk end (the actual door part) sits slightly lower than the small shelf that the matress also sits on thats not part of the door. Of course, the transition is exactly where I lay when trying to sleep. As far as I can tell, there is no adjustment or anything to bring them back in line. My buddy also has a 21SSL and his front bunk is pretty much level with the shelf, but his back bunk is slightly lower. (My rear bunk sits level. Go figure)

We are only talking about a fat 1/2" (or maybe a thin 3/4") difference, but I sleep on my side, and if my hip is right on the edge, it can get painful. I think my first plan of action is to find some very dense foam, not styrofoam, but not matress foam either and see if I can add it underneath the matress on the door to bring them level. That would eliminate the only complaint that I have with my camper at this point.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think if you use the search function you'll find various ways of fixing your issue.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think if you use the search function you'll find various ways of fixing your issue.
I wouldnt even know what to search for.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Search "hump" or "uncomfortable"

Under hump it was like 10th post
Id copy and paste but using frf app I can't.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Broken Toe

Thanks! I think I found it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bed-12606.html

Their problem seems to be the opposite of mine, Their shelf is lower than the bunk floor, mine is higher. This leads me to believe that the location of the bunk doors on the front and rear walls is variable, and the height of the shelf is fixed. Not a design flaw, but a construction issue.

At any rate, I think on the whole, the floor being lower than the shelf is easier to fix than the other way around. I have some closed cell plastic foam (very similar to what high-end electronics are packed in) on order. I will detail the process when it arrives.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

glad you found it tim !
sorry I couldn't link to it before