Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Question Forest River-Rockwood Roo 23SS / 23RS / 25RS: Reviews/Comments

We are researching to purchase our 1st RV. We have 2 children, 8-year old boy and 6-year old daughter. Up until this point we have been renting/borrowing RVs. Rockwood seems to have a great product. But we are trying to decide between a few different options.

Needs: A Quality easy to tow RV that will last for several years with gel coated fiberglass exterior (no aluminum,) 3 sleeping areas without using the dining table, good amount of inside storage, ¾ bathroom (No shower/toilet in 1,) slide(s) and a/c.
Wants: Large kitchen counter space, bunks, oven, and electric awning.

We have a ½ ton Chevy Avalanche 1500 with a Maximum GVWR 6800 lbs. / Maximum Towing 8300 lbs. We are looking at:

Rockwood Roo 23SS - Hybrid
Likes: Large kitchen counter, the slide kitchen/sofa area for extra inside space and the pantry/wardrobe/storage spaces.
Dislikes/concerns: Tent style vs. hard side, possible leaks and noise levels

Rockwood Roo 23RS –Light travel trailer
Dislikes/concerns: Lack of counter space and inside storage, small dining area, short queen beds (my husband is 6’ tall)

Rockwood Roo 25RS –Light travel trailer
Likes: Bunks, easy access to bathroom, large/slide out dining area, average inside storage space
Dislikes: Lack of counter space, short queen bed

We are open to all suggestions/reviews/comments. Or even other RV options that we should like at. Thank you!
dmhaywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #2

If your looking at hybreds and need 3 sleeping areas look at the ROO 233S. It has 3 seperate sleeping areas.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Site Team

well, i own a 2007 Avalanche with factory tow package.
i tow a 23SS, with Equalizer WDH and Prodigy brake controller.

i have no problems and have plenty of power, even with all the mountain ranges i have to go over.

that said, i would recommend against you buying any hybrid, based on what you listed for negatives.
you'd be better off with the rear hard-sided bed slide trailers, if they have bunk beds for the kids.

this is why: you have two children that will eventually not want to sleep together, if they already haven't made that clear.
so, even a two bed hybrid would require someone sleeping on the sofa or dinette. this means a 3 bed hybrid necessary which means another 33% more canvas, adding to what you consider negatives for a hybrid.

most hybrid owners are former popup owners and are willing to put up with the few negatives. if you've never owned a popup, don't get a hybrid.

for the record, i've had my Roo 23SS for nearly 6 years now and never had a leak. and we will put up with the occasional noise, so that we get to hear wind in the trees, babbling creeks and birds singing.

sleeping on a floating tent bed in the forest!

my vote is for the 25RS, the dinette slide will be worth it and you should have no problems towing it with your Avy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Normally, i just lurk and don't post. However, i must break my silence for bikendan. that was the best description as to why we bought a hybrid, from another hybrid owner i have ever read. Kudos to you!
joelochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelochi
Normally, i just lurk and don't post. However, i must break my silence for bikendan. that was the best description as to why we bought a hybrid, from another hybrid owner i have ever read. Kudos to you!
I'm in agreement.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

If you're worried about the short queens, don't. We have had two with out problems and I'm 5'11" and my DH is 6'3".
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

We have a 25RS and am extremely happy with it. Its a king size bed, not queen by the way. I seriously have zero complaints about the floorplan, its really roomy and I swear the best layout for families. I may be one of the only active posters on here with it. If you have any questions please ask.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
We have a 25RS and am extremely happy with it. Its a king size bed, not queen by the way. I seriously have zero complaints about the floorplan, its really roomy and I swear the best layout for families. I may be one of the only active posters on here with it. If you have any questions please ask.
Thanks! I have been leaning toward the 25RS, but I have not been able to see one in person yet, only the hybrids. Are there any options you would suggest/not suggest?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

We bought ours with the "show special" our dealer had going which included the Tv/entertainment center, power awning and jack, and oven. I like having all of those things and wouldn't trade it for anything. We didn't get the aluminum wheels like Dh wanted but he got over it fast. We use the grill that attaches to the side every trip and haven't had an issuue.

I love love love our camper. I am happy with the quality but I also know from camping my whole life the quality won't be the same as a house.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #11

I have pica posted in an old post when we picked it up back in May if you search. Its a lot more roomier then you would think which is great for rainy days.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #12

Forest River Customer Service

I wanted to thank the forums for giving me the idea of contacting Forest River about a leaking problem I had with my 2010 Rockwood Roo 23ss.

Forest River Customer Service went above and beyond in fixing my issue with my 3 year old camper. Brief History: I purchased it new in 2010 and my family and I love the camper. However, we immediately noticed a tendency to leak through the bed "doors" when closed up. I notified the dealer each year and they looked at it, ran water over it and determined that it was a design flaw and they couldnt do anything. I painstakenly ensured that no canvas was caught in the seals when I closed it up. I ensured that all seals were in place, serviceable and clean. I started searching the forums and saw many suggestions which I tried, to include paying 400.00 to the dealer to recaulk and seal the camper as the caulking was beginning to crack. This year I noticed that the fiberglass surface of the front door was starting to delaminate from the bottom creeping up. The dealer said it was out of warranty and said he'd discuss options on my paying to have it fixed. I saw Gregg Rollins identified as the Warranty rep for Forest River so I contacted him. I detailed exactly how long I had the camper. The issues, what actions I and the dealer had taken to remedy them. I truely did not expect much other than sympathy and advice. I'm a retired Chief Warrant Officer in the Army and my experiance with customer service has not been very good. I cant speak for now but between 1979 and 2000 it was basically, thanks for your money now leave. Typical attitude towards soldiers and families in a military town. I'm not saying everyone is like that. Anyway, 45 minutes after hitting the send button, Gregg called me on the phone. Gregg asked me to email him some pictures which I did. He asked me a few more questions mainly centered around what I had done to maintain the camper, etc. Gregg told me that he could not pay for me to drive it to the plant in Elkhart, IN but if I did, he would fix both doors for me for free. My dealer had quoted me an estimate of around 2000. per door to replace so I gladly took him up on the offer. Nothing prepared me for how I was treated when I arrived. Gregg met me at his office and directed me to the adjacent plant where Floyd was in charge of warranty work, insurance work and "goodwill" work. Floyd confirmed what my issues were and said leave it here and we'll call you when it's done. That was around 0830 that morning. At around 1230 that same afternoon, Floyd called to say it was done. Highly skeptical at the quickness I arrived back at the plant to pick up my camper. Floyd and his crew took the time to show me exactly what they had done. They completely replaced the bed, canvas, etc of both doors with the new integrated doors, canvas and explained how it should solve the leaking problem. While we were talking I began to notice little changes in my camper. Things that were now brand new. One of his workers entered the camper with a part box and handed it to Floyd while he was talking with me. It was a new range cover. I asked what was wrong and Floyd told me that mine had a small dent in it and he was replacing it. Floyd and his crew could easily have stopped at fixing the beds but they also noticed water damage to the rear wall below the bed door. A condition that would have gone unnoticed for some time had they not removed the rear door to replace it. They replaced the entire wall. Built it on the spot and replaced it. No questions asked. The door sits a little lower than the original and that would have caused the spare tire to hit the door when opened. They replaced the spare tire carrier with a new one. They systematically went through the entire camper and replaced anything that in thier mind did not meet thier quality threshold. I was flabbergasted. The professionalism and work ethic that they exhibited was and should be the industry standard. I went back to see Gregg on the way out to thank him and he took the time to come out and check over the camper and talk about Forest River's customer satisfaction philosophy. Gregg told me that many customer's contact them for advice. It was obvious to me that Forest River cares about thier product, thier customers and want to be the best. It's a two way street though guys. You have to put the effort in to properly maintain your camper as well. If an issue arises that you cannot square away, communication is key. If you notice an issue and your camper is new, contact your dealer. If your dealer cannot or will not help you or, the camper is out of warranty and you dont know where to turn, contact Gregg Rollins for advice and assistance. Gregg, Floyd and John Stringer ( I wish I could name everybody) are professionals who mean to do business the right way. Make a quality product, stand by that product and thier customers. I cannot recommend thier products enough and they have a customer for life in me and my family. Gregg's email is grollins@forestriverinc.com Happy camping.
jkk2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk2909 View Post
I wanted to thank the forums for giving me the idea of contacting Forest River about a leaking problem I had with my 2010 Rockwood Roo 23ss.

Forest River Customer Service went above and beyond in fixing my issue with my 3 year old camper. Brief History: I purchased it new in 2010 and my family and I love the camper. However, we immediately noticed a tendency to leak through the bed "doors" when closed up. I notified the dealer each year and they looked at it, ran water over it and determined that it was a design flaw and they couldnt do anything. I painstakenly ensured that no canvas was caught in the seals when I closed it up. I ensured that all seals were in place, serviceable and clean. I started searching the forums and saw many suggestions which I tried, to include paying 400.00 to the dealer to recaulk and seal the camper as the caulking was beginning to crack. This year I noticed that the fiberglass surface of the front door was starting to delaminate from the bottom creeping up. The dealer said it was out of warranty and said he'd discuss options on my paying to have it fixed. I saw Gregg Rollins identified as the Warranty rep for Forest River so I contacted him. I detailed exactly how long I had the camper. The issues, what actions I and the dealer had taken to remedy them. I truely did not expect much other than sympathy and advice. I'm a retired Chief Warrant Officer in the Army and my experiance with customer service has not been very good. I cant speak for now but between 1979 and 2000 it was basically, thanks for your money now leave. Typical attitude towards soldiers and families in a military town. I'm not saying everyone is like that. Anyway, 45 minutes after hitting the send button, Gregg called me on the phone. Gregg asked me to email him some pictures which I did. He asked me a few more questions mainly centered around what I had done to maintain the camper, etc. Gregg told me that he could not pay for me to drive it to the plant in Elkhart, IN but if I did, he would fix both doors for me for free. My dealer had quoted me an estimate of around 2000. per door to replace so I gladly took him up on the offer. Nothing prepared me for how I was treated when I arrived. Gregg met me at his office and directed me to the adjacent plant where Floyd was in charge of warranty work, insurance work and "goodwill" work. Floyd confirmed what my issues were and said leave it here and we'll call you when it's done. That was around 0830 that morning. At around 1230 that same afternoon, Floyd called to say it was done. Highly skeptical at the quickness I arrived back at the plant to pick up my camper. Floyd and his crew took the time to show me exactly what they had done. They completely replaced the bed, canvas, etc of both doors with the new integrated doors, canvas and explained how it should solve the leaking problem. While we were talking I began to notice little changes in my camper. Things that were now brand new. One of his workers entered the camper with a part box and handed it to Floyd while he was talking with me. It was a new range cover. I asked what was wrong and Floyd told me that mine had a small dent in it and he was replacing it. Floyd and his crew could easily have stopped at fixing the beds but they also noticed water damage to the rear wall below the bed door. A condition that would have gone unnoticed for some time had they not removed the rear door to replace it. They replaced the entire wall. Built it on the spot and replaced it. No questions asked. The door sits a little lower than the original and that would have caused the spare tire to hit the door when opened. They replaced the spare tire carrier with a new one. They systematically went through the entire camper and replaced anything that in thier mind did not meet thier quality threshold. I was flabbergasted. The professionalism and work ethic that they exhibited was and should be the industry standard. I went back to see Gregg on the way out to thank him and he took the time to come out and check over the camper and talk about Forest River's customer satisfaction philosophy. Gregg told me that many customer's contact them for advice. It was obvious to me that Forest River cares about thier product, thier customers and want to be the best. It's a two way street though guys. You have to put the effort in to properly maintain your camper as well. If an issue arises that you cannot square away, communication is key. If you notice an issue and your camper is new, contact your dealer. If your dealer cannot or will not help you or, the camper is out of warranty and you dont know where to turn, contact Gregg Rollins for advice and assistance. Gregg, Floyd and John Stringer ( I wish I could name everybody) are professionals who mean to do business the right way. Make a quality product, stand by that product and thier customers. I cannot recommend thier products enough and they have a customer for life in me and my family. Gregg's email is grollins@forestriverinc.com Happy camping.
I love hearing experiences like this, Well Done!!
FT_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23rs, 23ss, 25rs, hybrid, rockwood roo