Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1
Fresh Water Fill when Boondocking???

When arriving at a state campground or ones with no hook-ups, how do people fill their freshwater tanks when they arrive? I do not want to tow my camper with all the weight of a full tank and also dont want to fill it by hand 5 gallons at a time. The campsite we just visited in VT had a fresh water/clean hose at the dump station but not all have these. I am considering a small battery pump and long hose. Any suggestions?
erikemanuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 957
5 gallons at a time or fill it someplace along the way.
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,248
If your camper cannot handle a full tank of water from fill station to your site, I would ditch it. I travel with at least 10g, sometimes a full tank if going somewhere with no fill up. Inspect your tank supports first. I'm confident in mine.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,091
You could use one of these. They come in a couple sizes.

https://www.bayteccontainers.com/15-...aquatank-.html
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 437
your trailer is made to travel with full FWT, so why not use it that way when you need?
__________________
2021 Flagstaff 21DS
2015 Silverado 2500HD (overkill but convenient)

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,248
I love my Aquatank2 60g. Between 30g onboard tank and Aquatank, I can stay off grid for 10 days no problem.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
If your camper cannot handle a full tank of water from fill station to your site, I would ditch it. I travel with at least 10g, sometimes a full tank if going somewhere with no fill up. Inspect your tank supports first. I'm confident in mine.
We usually tow with full water tank, extra weight is a drop in the bucket compared to the weight of the rig. And we boondock most of the time. If I know we'll be in hookups I don't refill but always have at least 1/4 tank.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 14,986
Welcome to the forum erikemanuele, I see it is your 1st post.

You've touched on a topic that gets discussed here almost daily.

Many folks, (including me) believe R/Vs are meant to haul water.

Others have had issues with the tanks coming loose (mostly on micro/lightweight units) so that crowd vows to never haul water instead of addressing the shortcomings of their R/V. And then there are those who mistakenly believe their fuel mileage suffers tremendously hauling a full tank of water.

To answer your question... you need to research your destination. Not every place has water available. In that case, you need to think about other places like rest stops or truck stops. (Flying J's often have potable water)

Of course then, you need to consider what the quality of the water you get is like too. I know my water is good.

A search of this forum will give you days worth of reading opinion.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 147
First of all, I'd be wary of anything labeled as a "clean" hose at a dump station. Just this weekend, I watched my neighbor dump his tanks, disconnect the sewer hose and jam it onto the water spigot at his site to rinse it out. I've seen worse at the dump stations with the clean hoses.

While any faucet could be suspect, some places will have separate spigots that you can use when you pull in. I've done this back in the day. Many times the campground reviews will help you find a fresh water source nearby for that initial fill. After that, it 5-6 gallons at a time unless you want to move the rig.

In our case, the fresh water tank is for toilet, showers and dishes and used as sparingly as possible which should limit the need to refill the tank while also taking into account that whatever is used will end up in a holding tank which will then need to be appropriately dumped. That said, our drinking water is primarily from water bottles or containers.

When we towed with a 1/2 ton SUV, a full water tank with 300# of water was an issue since we were so close to our payload limit and I venture that many of the 1/2 ton crowd is in the same boat. I didn't notice any fuel economy decline but the squat was pronounced so we usually avoided a full fresh water tank.

However, now and especially after the onset of COVID we have really started limiting our use of public restrooms and now always travel with at least a partially full water tank. I did spend some time and reinforce the tank mounting system and we just got back from a 3100 mile trip without issue.
__________________


2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS
2022 Ford F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD - On order
2020 Ford F250 7.3 (Gas) CCSB 4x4 - Awesome but Sold to Carmax
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold, but not forgotten...
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 5
since the wife is assigned to book, i follow up with asking if the site has hookups. if they dont have dedicated water, we will call and ask if theres water source nearby (sometimes one faucet every other site, or a centralized source for the campground) we either load up on arrival before detaching the trailer, or if within reach, we use our backup 100ft water hose (paired with water bandit if faucet isnt threaded). there were times when the nearest water source was 3+ miles away from the campground, which was still fine. we also have 5 pcs of collapsible 5 gallon potable water containers with a foot long hose in their faucet so i can load up the trailer's fresh water tank. theyre easier to move around than anything bigger/heavier
Kavoosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Tim F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 15
First, NEVER use the cleaning hose at the dump station to fill your potable water tank in the trailer (or any other potable water vessel). The end of the hose is likely dirty with black tank contact.
Every (state) campground I've been to in Vermont, NY, and Mass has water stands for dry campers (tenters, pop ups, etc). I recommend getting a "water bandit" from Camco. Pull up next to a water stand before setting up your TT on site. Attach the water bandit to the potable water stand, crank the clamp with a screw driver or nut driver, attach your white potable water hose (the one you use at full hook-up sites), and insert it into your tank fill on your TT. Someone will need to hold the fill hose while another holds the water tap valve open (state sites use auto water snap off water valves). Fill tank until "full tank" indicator sounds.

as to hauling water from home, that's a personal judgment call. if you do so, be sure you completely fill the tank. there are no baffles that detent the sloshing, and on a twisty road your trailer can get wild, especially under speed.
Tim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfansinnc View Post
First of all, I'd be wary of anything labeled as a "clean" hose at a dump station. Just this weekend, I watched my neighbor dump his tanks, disconnect the sewer hose and jam it onto the water spigot at his site to rinse it out. I've seen worse at the dump stations with the clean hoses.

While any faucet could be suspect, some places will have separate spigots that you can use when you pull in. I've done this back in the day. Many times the campground reviews will help you find a fresh water source nearby for that initial fill. After that, it 5-6 gallons at a time unless you want to move the rig.

In our case, the fresh water tank is for toilet, showers and dishes and used as sparingly as possible which should limit the need to refill the tank while also taking into account that whatever is used will end up in a holding tank which will then need to be appropriately dumped. That said, our drinking water is primarily from water bottles or containers.

When we towed with a 1/2 ton SUV, a full water tank with 300# of water was an issue since we were so close to our payload limit and I venture that many of the 1/2 ton crowd is in the same boat. I didn't notice any fuel economy decline but the squat was pronounced so we usually avoided a full fresh water tank.

However, now and especially after the onset of COVID we have really started limiting our use of public restrooms and now always travel with at least a partially full water tank. I did spend some time and reinforce the tank mounting system and we just got back from a 3100 mile trip without issue.
This is why I carry a spray bottle of dilute bleach solution. Anytime I hook up to a potable water source, whether at site or fill station, I spray in into end of spigot or hose/hose threads. Wait a minute or two, then connect. Because....wait for it....OMG, I drink the water!
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim F View Post
First, NEVER use the cleaning hose at the dump station to fill your potable water tank in the trailer (or any other potable water vessel). The end of the hose is likely dirty with black tank contact.
Every (state) campground I've been to in Vermont, NY, and Mass has water stands for dry campers (tenters, pop ups, etc). I recommend getting a "water bandit" from Camco. Pull up next to a water stand before setting up your TT on site. Attach the water bandit to the potable water stand, crank the clamp with a screw driver or nut driver, attach your white potable water hose (the one you use at full hook-up sites), and insert it into your tank fill on your TT. Someone will need to hold the fill hose while another holds the water tap valve open (state sites use auto water snap off water valves). Fill tank until "full tank" indicator sounds.

as to hauling water from home, that's a personal judgment call. if you do so, be sure you completely fill the tank. there are no baffles that detent the sloshing, and on a twisty road your trailer can get wild, especially under speed.
I bought one of those water bandits when I first got my RV because folks on this site were declaring it an essential item. 3 years later, it's still in package. What sort of redneck sites do you guys use that don't have threaded water connections?
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SO-CAL
Posts: 503
Since my RV is a class c and we tow a trailer. We have a 55 gallon barrel in it and fill up the FWT before leaving. I have a 12v transfer pump and send it thru a filter before the RV side. It doesn't take that long to fill it up while we are out boondocking.
__________________
RETIRED U.S. NAVY
2017 FORESTER 3051S
IN SO-CAL
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
Since my RV is a class c and we tow a trailer. We have a 55 gallon barrel in it and fill up the FWT before leaving. I have a 12v transfer pump and send it thru a filter before the RV side. It doesn't take that long to fill it up while we are out boondocking.
This thread is posted in the Hybrids TT section of the Forum and the OP owns a hybrid TT. Therefore towing a separate trailer with a 55 gallon drum isn't a possibility.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #16
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikemanuele View Post
When arriving at a state campground or ones with no hook-ups, how do people fill their freshwater tanks when they arrive? I do not want to tow my camper with all the weight of a full tank and also dont want to fill it by hand 5 gallons at a time. The campsite we just visited in VT had a fresh water/clean hose at the dump station but not all have these. I am considering a small battery pump and long hose. Any suggestions?
A full water tank has virtually little affect on fuel mileage. It's frontal air resistance that affects it mostly.
We always travel with a full FW tank if dry camping or boondocking. Also a 6 gallon water jug to shuttle water. Also a Water Bandit.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I bought one of those water bandits when I first got my RV because folks on this site were declaring it an essential item. 3 years later, it's still in package. What sort of redneck sites do you guys use that don't have threaded water connections?
Obviously you haven't camped out West. Many National and State parks don't have W/E hookups and only have a few faucets scattered through the campground. These faucets have no threads and the spouts are smooth. So a Water Bandit/Thief is a must. Glacier NP is an example.
So not a "Redneck" thing, unless California is a "Redneck" state because all of their state park campgrounds have non-threaded faucets.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I bought one of those water bandits when I first got my RV because folks on this site were declaring it an essential item. 3 years later, it's still in package. What sort of redneck sites do you guys use that don't have threaded water connections?
Mazama Campground in Crater Lake National Park in Oregon for one.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #19
"Curmudgeon"
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Zebulon, NC, NC
Posts: 267
Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
"Fresh water/clean hose at the dump station" is an oxy-moron. Just fill your tank when you plan to go boondocking and figure 8 lbs./gallon. If your rig can't handle a full water tank, you very likely will have much more serious problems.
__________________
_____________________
TrawlerPhil
2014 Flagstaff Classic Ultralite 8528RKWS
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,248
Haven't RV camped out West yet, so far here in East never seen a non-threaded spigot yet. Haven't been to National Parks either. Slim picking for National Parks out our way. You should get your Congressmen to approve budget items for parks instead of the nonsense the focus on now!
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boondocking, fresh water, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.