Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #1

Fresh Water Fill when Boondocking???

When arriving at a state campground or ones with no hook-ups, how do people fill their freshwater tanks when they arrive? I do not want to tow my camper with all the weight of a full tank and also dont want to fill it by hand 5 gallons at a time. The campsite we just visited in VT had a fresh water/clean hose at the dump station but not all have these. I am considering a small battery pump and long hose. Any suggestions?
erikemanuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #2

5 gallons at a time or fill it someplace along the way.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

If your camper cannot handle a full tank of water from fill station to your site, I would ditch it. I travel with at least 10g, sometimes a full tank if going somewhere with no fill up. Inspect your tank supports first. I'm confident in mine.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Brake is on left

You could use one of these. They come in a couple sizes.

https://www.bayteccontainers.com/15-...aquatank-.html
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #5

your trailer is made to travel with full FWT, so why not use it that way when you need?

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I love my Aquatank2 60g. Between 30g onboard tank and Aquatank, I can stay off grid for 10 days no problem.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
If your camper cannot handle a full tank of water from fill station to your site, I would ditch it. I travel with at least 10g, sometimes a full tank if going somewhere with no fill up. Inspect your tank supports first. I'm confident in mine.
We usually tow with full water tank, extra weight is a drop in the bucket compared to the weight of the rig. And we boondock most of the time. If I know we'll be in hookups I don't refill but always have at least 1/4 tank.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum erikemanuele, I see it is your 1st post.

You've touched on a topic that gets discussed here almost daily.

Many folks, (including me) believe R/Vs are meant to haul water.

Others have had issues with the tanks coming loose (mostly on micro/lightweight units) so that crowd vows to never haul water instead of addressing the shortcomings of their R/V. And then there are those who mistakenly believe their fuel mileage suffers tremendously hauling a full tank of water.

To answer your question... you need to research your destination. Not every place has water available. In that case, you need to think about other places like rest stops or truck stops. (Flying J's often have potable water)

Of course then, you need to consider what the quality of the water you get is like too. I know my water is good.

A search of this forum will give you days worth of reading opinion.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

First of all, I'd be wary of anything labeled as a "clean" hose at a dump station. Just this weekend, I watched my neighbor dump his tanks, disconnect the sewer hose and jam it onto the water spigot at his site to rinse it out. I've seen worse at the dump stations with the clean hoses.

While any faucet could be suspect, some places will have separate spigots that you can use when you pull in. I've done this back in the day. Many times the campground reviews will help you find a fresh water source nearby for that initial fill. After that, it 5-6 gallons at a time unless you want to move the rig.

In our case, the fresh water tank is for toilet, showers and dishes and used as sparingly as possible which should limit the need to refill the tank while also taking into account that whatever is used will end up in a holding tank which will then need to be appropriately dumped. That said, our drinking water is primarily from water bottles or containers.

When we towed with a 1/2 ton SUV, a full water tank with 300# of water was an issue since we were so close to our payload limit and I venture that many of the 1/2 ton crowd is in the same boat. I didn't notice any fuel economy decline but the squat was pronounced so we usually avoided a full fresh water tank.

However, now and especially after the onset of COVID we have really started limiting our use of public restrooms and now always travel with at least a partially full water tank. I did spend some time and reinforce the tank mounting system and we just got back from a 3100 mile trip without issue.

2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS
2022 Ford F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD - On order
2020 Ford F250 7.3 (Gas) CCSB 4x4 - Awesome but Sold to Carmax
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold, but not forgotten...
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #10

since the wife is assigned to book, i follow up with asking if the site has hookups. if they dont have dedicated water, we will call and ask if theres water source nearby (sometimes one faucet every other site, or a centralized source for the campground) we either load up on arrival before detaching the trailer, or if within reach, we use our backup 100ft water hose (paired with water bandit if faucet isnt threaded). there were times when the nearest water source was 3+ miles away from the campground, which was still fine. we also have 5 pcs of collapsible 5 gallon potable water containers with a foot long hose in their faucet so i can load up the trailer's fresh water tank. theyre easier to move around than anything bigger/heavier
Kavoosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #11

First, NEVER use the cleaning hose at the dump station to fill your potable water tank in the trailer (or any other potable water vessel). The end of the hose is likely dirty with black tank contact.
Every (state) campground I've been to in Vermont, NY, and Mass has water stands for dry campers (tenters, pop ups, etc). I recommend getting a "water bandit" from Camco. Pull up next to a water stand before setting up your TT on site. Attach the water bandit to the potable water stand, crank the clamp with a screw driver or nut driver, attach your white potable water hose (the one you use at full hook-up sites), and insert it into your tank fill on your TT. Someone will need to hold the fill hose while another holds the water tap valve open (state sites use auto water snap off water valves). Fill tank until "full tank" indicator sounds.

as to hauling water from home, that's a personal judgment call. if you do so, be sure you completely fill the tank. there are no baffles that detent the sloshing, and on a twisty road your trailer can get wild, especially under speed.
Tim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfansinnc View Post
First of all, I'd be wary of anything labeled as a "clean" hose at a dump station. Just this weekend, I watched my neighbor dump his tanks, disconnect the sewer hose and jam it onto the water spigot at his site to rinse it out. I've seen worse at the dump stations with the clean hoses.

While any faucet could be suspect, some places will have separate spigots that you can use when you pull in. I've done this back in the day. Many times the campground reviews will help you find a fresh water source nearby for that initial fill. After that, it 5-6 gallons at a time unless you want to move the rig.

In our case, the fresh water tank is for toilet, showers and dishes and used as sparingly as possible which should limit the need to refill the tank while also taking into account that whatever is used will end up in a holding tank which will then need to be appropriately dumped. That said, our drinking water is primarily from water bottles or containers.

When we towed with a 1/2 ton SUV, a full water tank with 300# of water was an issue since we were so close to our payload limit and I venture that many of the 1/2 ton crowd is in the same boat. I didn't notice any fuel economy decline but the squat was pronounced so we usually avoided a full fresh water tank.

However, now and especially after the onset of COVID we have really started limiting our use of public restrooms and now always travel with at least a partially full water tank. I did spend some time and reinforce the tank mounting system and we just got back from a 3100 mile trip without issue.
This is why I carry a spray bottle of dilute bleach solution. Anytime I hook up to a potable water source, whether at site or fill station, I spray in into end of spigot or hose/hose threads. Wait a minute or two, then connect. Because....wait for it....OMG, I drink the water!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim F View Post
First, NEVER use the cleaning hose at the dump station to fill your potable water tank in the trailer (or any other potable water vessel). The end of the hose is likely dirty with black tank contact.
Every (state) campground I've been to in Vermont, NY, and Mass has water stands for dry campers (tenters, pop ups, etc). I recommend getting a "water bandit" from Camco. Pull up next to a water stand before setting up your TT on site. Attach the water bandit to the potable water stand, crank the clamp with a screw driver or nut driver, attach your white potable water hose (the one you use at full hook-up sites), and insert it into your tank fill on your TT. Someone will need to hold the fill hose while another holds the water tap valve open (state sites use auto water snap off water valves). Fill tank until "full tank" indicator sounds.

as to hauling water from home, that's a personal judgment call. if you do so, be sure you completely fill the tank. there are no baffles that detent the sloshing, and on a twisty road your trailer can get wild, especially under speed.
I bought one of those water bandits when I first got my RV because folks on this site were declaring it an essential item. 3 years later, it's still in package. What sort of redneck sites do you guys use that don't have threaded water connections?
Old 08-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #14

Since my RV is a class c and we tow a trailer. We have a 55 gallon barrel in it and fill up the FWT before leaving. I have a 12v transfer pump and send it thru a filter before the RV side. It doesn't take that long to fill it up while we are out boondocking.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
Since my RV is a class c and we tow a trailer. We have a 55 gallon barrel in it and fill up the FWT before leaving. I have a 12v transfer pump and send it thru a filter before the RV side. It doesn't take that long to fill it up while we are out boondocking.
This thread is posted in the Hybrids TT section of the Forum and the OP owns a hybrid TT. Therefore towing a separate trailer with a 55 gallon drum isn't a possibility.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikemanuele View Post
When arriving at a state campground or ones with no hook-ups, how do people fill their freshwater tanks when they arrive? I do not want to tow my camper with all the weight of a full tank and also dont want to fill it by hand 5 gallons at a time. The campsite we just visited in VT had a fresh water/clean hose at the dump station but not all have these. I am considering a small battery pump and long hose. Any suggestions?
A full water tank has virtually little affect on fuel mileage. It's frontal air resistance that affects it mostly.
We always travel with a full FW tank if dry camping or boondocking. Also a 6 gallon water jug to shuttle water. Also a Water Bandit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I bought one of those water bandits when I first got my RV because folks on this site were declaring it an essential item. 3 years later, it's still in package. What sort of redneck sites do you guys use that don't have threaded water connections?
Obviously you haven't camped out West. Many National and State parks don't have W/E hookups and only have a few faucets scattered through the campground. These faucets have no threads and the spouts are smooth. So a Water Bandit/Thief is a must. Glacier NP is an example.
So not a "Redneck" thing, unless California is a "Redneck" state because all of their state park campgrounds have non-threaded faucets.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Mazama Campground in Crater Lake National Park in Oregon for one.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #19
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
"Fresh water/clean hose at the dump station" is an oxy-moron. Just fill your tank when you plan to go boondocking and figure 8 lbs./gallon. If your rig can't handle a full water tank, you very likely will have much more serious problems.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Haven't RV camped out West yet, so far here in East never seen a non-threaded spigot yet. Haven't been to National Parks either. Slim picking for National Parks out our way. You should get your Congressmen to approve budget items for parks instead of the nonsense the focus on now!

Tags
boondocking, fresh water, water