Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

Fresh water tank filled up mysteriously...

I purchased a 2015 Shamrock 23SS late last year and have used it a few times this year. I was camping this past week and had full hook-ups, so I was using the campground water which was hooked up into my "city water connection". Checking tank levels the next morning, I was surprised to see that my fresh water tank was completely full. I normally travel with a few gallons in the tank for "emergency stops", but I never travel with a full tank. When I went outside to check the tank, I took off the fill cap and water overflowed out of the tank. I didn't want to drain it under the trailer at that time, so I opened the drain as I was leaving and dumped most of the water out of the tank that way. Does anyone have any insight as to why this would happen? It didn't happen on any other trips where we had full hook-ups, and it doesn't appear that I have the new "water saver" shower systems either that return water to your tank. Thanks in advance, as always!
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

My rockwood a214hw had a one-way valve that kept city water from entering the fresh tank. It failed. I put in a manual valve which is also used for winterizing. Now I know for sure there won’t be any back flow.
BeeAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Your check valve in the water pump is likely sticking. Mine sticks occasionally and I can hear the freshwater tank filling. I'll give the water pump a little tap to try to unstick the valve. When that doesn't work, I just let the freshwater tank fill. Then I shut off the city water and operate from the water pump/freshwater tank. The cycling of the pump tends to unstick the valve.
Griggs_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggs_Rooster View Post
Your check valve in the water pump is likely sticking. Mine sticks occasionally and I can hear the freshwater tank filling. I'll give the water pump a little tap to try to unstick the valve. When that doesn't work, I just let the freshwater tank fill. Then I shut off the city water and operate from the water pump/freshwater tank. The cycling of the pump tends to unstick the valve.
Very true.
You can turn off the city water supply, open a faucet to relieve the pressure, then turn on your water pump for a minute or two, turn off WP, repeat. Then you can go back to using city water. As a reminder, never use the fresh water pump when using the city water hook-up as it can cause the same problem if the city water supply pressure is higher than the water pumps pressure is set for (usually 50-60 psi). Most long time rvers use a pressure regulator on the city water connection as some campgrounds have water line pressures upwards of 80 psi.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Thanks for everyone's assistance and prompt responses, as always! I will give this a try. I use a static (non-adjustable) pressure regulator on the water hose, as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
Thanks for everyone's assistance and prompt responses, as always! I will give this a try. I use a static (non-adjustable) pressure regulator on the water hose, as well.
This is probably the most frequent question on this forum and generally comes up at least a couple times a month. With some searches on the subject, you would find many different solutions, as well as descriptive work arounds and links to improved check valves for replacement.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Some of those static pressure regulators are flow reducers, the difference is while you have a faucet open the pressure drops to an acceptable level. Once you turn off the faucet the flow reducer allows the rv's line pressure to build up until it equals the campgrounds pressure.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #8

Scrapper, would you suggest getting an adjustable pressure regulator instead of the static type? Thanks, Jim
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Scrapper, would you suggest getting an adjustable pressure regulator instead of the static type? Thanks, Jim
I'm just saying to beware of the static type as not all of them are not what they say they are. I have used the adjustable type for years, the only thing is the gauge will freeze in the winter if not careful. Some gauges will leak after frozen, others will not.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
old dude

Do you have a shower miser water saver? Make sure it isn't open.
Saluki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #11

I don't have a shower miser water saver, but thanks for asking. I am sure it has to do with the check valve getting stuck in the pump. So, I checked it per the suggestions from others, and of course, no problem this time! I'll be prepared the next time, though. Unfortunately, it's time to winterize the trailer and put it away until warmer weather in the spring.

Tags
fresh water, led, tank, water, water tank