Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Support Failure

I was prepping my 2013 Rockwood ROO 23rs for this camping season when I got back to the fresh water tank.

Has anyone seen this type of structural failure on a new (1 season) camper?

I am taking it in on Monday to have the dealer look at it and hoping that it will be covered by the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0750[1].jpg
Views:	311
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	51089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0749[1].jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	51090  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Canadian Member

I know our tank will sag under the load of the water but the supports have not bent like that. Was the tank empty over the winter?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I know our tank will sag under the load of the water but the supports have not bent like that. Was the tank empty over the winter?
I think you nailed it.

Pretty much the only way it would bend like that (longitudinally) (IMO of course).

I could buy rough roads with a full tank if it was a cross member; but not the long one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Tank was empty and drain plug was removed for the winter.

I noticed it when I went to flush the tank. I refilled the tank and went to remove the drain plug. It was then I noticed it. I don't know if it occurred last season some time nor how long it has been like this.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndohe View Post
Tank was empty and drain plug was removed for the winter.

I noticed it when I went to flush the tank. I refilled the tank and went to remove the drain plug. It was then I noticed it. I don't know if it occurred last season some time nor how long it has been like this.
Since it a 2013, I assume you bought it new.

Is the under belly exposed or is there a Coreplast cover over it?

If it is exposed, you could have hit road trash (like a section of truck tire) that did the damage, and never noticed it till now.

With a cover, you would have noticed the damage as soon as you pulled into camp (or home).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank 4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	51121  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To me, it appears that the center bar on the tank was pushed down by the weight of the tank(presumably filled with water while traveling), and pulled the cross member down. I would think that a tank that size would have a few more supports under it. I would have them replace it with a "structural" angle iron cross member, and not just "bent" steel.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #7

Having worked in the steel fab industry for 13 yrs my opinion is that that this would not be caused by road trash. The angle is bent straight down. Road trash would have bent it back or up. It could not go back because there is a cross support in the middle of the angle. Whatever caused this pushed down on that angle. Any road trash would have also put marks of the water tank but from the way the photo is taken you can not tell if there are marks. It looks like the tank itself may be bowed down a bit. Maybe this is the design to create a low spot from draining.

That's just my 2 cents. I'll be interested to see what the dealer says was the cause. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
Having worked in the steel fab industry for 13 yrs my opinion is that that this would not be caused by road trash. The angle is bent straight down. Road trash would have bent it back or up. It could not go back because there is a cross support in the middle of the angle. Whatever caused this pushed down on that angle. Any road trash would have also put marks of the water tank but from the way the photo is taken you can not tell if there are marks. It looks like the tank itself may be bowed down a bit. Maybe this is the design to create a low spot from draining.

That's just my 2 cents. I'll be interested to see what the dealer says was the cause. Good luck.
I would have thought that bowing of the tank bottom would have damaged that cross bar and rotated the longitudinal support towards the tank, but I can certainly see your point.
It is odd; no doubt.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I would have thought that bowing of the tank bottom would have damaged that cross bar and rotated the longitudinal support towards the tank, but I can certainly see your point.
It is odd; no doubt.
Yes, that makes sense also. I guess the piece that bent was the weaker of the 2 for whatever reason. There may have been another force involved that is not obvious from the picture since it is only from 1 point of view.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To me, it still appears that the center of the tank is bellied down. The weight of that tank bouncing would almost definitely bend a 6' piece of bent angled steel.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

A tank with water in it would have the weight evenly distributed across the bottom. You would need a considerable amount of water in a concentrated area to apply the amount of force needed to make it belly like that. Maybe some heat radiating off of really hot pavement could have caused weakness to the tank. causing it to belly. It looks to me that the low point of the tank is there and that belly is made by design.

However, it is anybody's guess with the limited view of the tank.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
A tank with water in it would have the weight evenly distributed across the bottom. You would need a considerable amount of water in a concentrated area to apply the amount of force needed to make it belly like that. Maybe some heat radiating off of really hot pavement could have caused weakness to the tank. causing it to belly. It looks to me that the low point of the tank is there and that belly is made by design.

40 gallons of water @ 8lbs/gallon = 320lbs. That's considerable weight, and the bottom middle of the tank IS the weakest point.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #13

That weight is distributed across the entire bottom of the tank. I could see your point if the entire bracket pulled out of the frame but it is at a specific point. Even at 1/2 full or 1/4 full the water is still evenly distributed. I think other forces may have caused this, maybe not. I'm just guessing.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:

If you look at the picture again, the side to side, frame to frame bar is bent. There is a bar going from front to back in the middle of the Fresh water tank. the full weight of a full tank was pressing on the tank from the middle of the tank. The side to side bar gave way. The side to side bars need to have twice the bulk strength (the one visible and the one to the front) and there needs to be a couple more front to back bar supports UNDER the water tank. Many campers really don't realize how close they are to losing their water tanks and blissfully go down the road at 65mph with a full load of water.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That weight is distributed across the entire bottom of the tank. I could see your point if the entire bracket pulled out of the frame but it is at a specific point. Even at 1/2 full or 1/4 full the water is still evenly distributed. I think other forces may have caused this, maybe not. I'm just guessing.
The middle of that tank will bounce like a trampoline. It's that force, that will bend the cross member
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #16

I'm not trying to say any of our suggestions are wrong. I'm just giving my opinion, which happens to be different than yours. We can "discuss" this back and forth defending our opinions but, only the original poster can confirm the true cause.

Hope they get an answer and a resolution so they can continue camping & not have a disaster on the road.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
To me, it still appears that the center of the tank is bellied down. The weight of that tank bouncing would almost definitely bend a 6' piece of bent angled steel.
Agree 100%! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #18

Terrible! and did they really run the LP line under the reinforcement like that?!!!!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #19

Are you missing a front to back support? I just crawled under our 23SS yesterday to install a ball valve on the drain and noticed we have two front to back supports under the center of the tank. Hope they get it resolved for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Terrible! and did they really run the LP line under the reinforcement like that?!!!!

Wow! I didn't catch that first time through. Good call!