Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #21
Site Team

Did you use Popup Gizmos and Reflectix?
Did you season the canvas seams before going camping?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #22

We picked up our Roo 19 on a rainy day and found water inside when we arrived home. Water had collected on the outside tent surface when the ends were closed and entered through the window flaps because they were not fully zipped.
Shamrock54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #23

Could there have been enough condensation on the inside to do that?
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #24

I didn't notice any, I looked for the source before I put in the support pole and I found an unzipped area of a few inches on the side with water.
Shamrock54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #25

I didnt season before we camped...but like i said, while we were camping at it was raining, there was no leakage, only condensation...so what im now wondering is about the material that zips to cover the side screens in the bunk ends...they seem to be a different material than the rest of the bunk end...my leading theory is that it wasnt waterproof and the water bled through to whatever was touching it after being folded up, ie: the mattress.
Does this sound viable to anyone? Im going to post this seperately in the forum to generate some more advice

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
I didnt season before we camped...but like i said, while we were camping at it was raining, there was no leakage, only condensation...so what im now wondering is about the material that zips to cover the side screens in the bunk ends...they seem to be a different material than the rest of the bunk end...my leading theory is that it wasnt waterproof and the water bled through to whatever was touching it after being folded up, ie: the mattress.
Does this sound viable to anyone? Im going to post this seperately in the forum to generate some more advice
You need to season the seams, as it could be a possible cause.
Also, warm bodies on the mattress and cold temps outside, will result in moisture under the mattress.
I tried various solutions with the best being a wool blanket between the bunk platform and the mattress bottom.
The tent windows are probably regular canvas without the vinyl coating.
Many have sprayed a waterproofing on them to prevent water seeping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #27

By the way, as requested, here are some pictures from the weekend

Hmm...well, im trying to at least, they seem to not want to load
Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #28

Picture links don't work for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock54 View Post
I didn't notice any, I looked for the source before I put in the support pole and I found an unzipped area of a few inches on the side with water.
Sorry for the confusion - the condensation question was meant for the OP! :-)
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #30

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #31

Nice pics!did you get the leak figured out?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #32

Nice pics, did you get the leak figured out?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #33

We've had our Roo for 6 years now and can't say we've ever closed up in a rainstorm but we have occasionally packed up when its wet and some moisture will find its way through the windows and zippers and dampen the mattresses. We have to set it up anyway to dry the canvas when we get home so just leave it up an extra day or so to make sure the mattresses are dry. We've camped in ours 159 nights now and it happens so infrequently that its not a big deal for us. If possible wait till the rain stops and make sure you're not trapping puddles in the canvas when you close the bunk, and make double sure you're not getting the canvas pinched in the bunk door allowing the rain to come in (the top of the door is sometimes hard to check).

Don't get discouraged - you'll learn all the nuances and will make lots of great memories in it.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #34

Quote:
So the maiden voyage is over and done with! And wow, packing up in a downpour isn't fun at all! Thankfully I was able to handle it myself while my wife handled the kids and the indoor stuff.

Overall it was fun and quite a learning experience. I definitely need to learn how to level a bit better. All my connections were good and solid. No issues with emptying and cleaning my black tank. We did noticed that the electric water heater cut out for whatever reason, so we just flipped the propane and had hot water. I'm going to talk to the dealer about that tomorrow.

Which now brings me to my one and only issue: water.

During the downpour, it did not leak. We did notice condensation which is to be expected. But, when we packed up during the rain, there was obviously water on the bunk ends. When we got home, the sun was out in full force so we began unpacking and opening it all up. Well my wife came out saying that the pillows, blankets and mattresses were all wet. Then she started to cry. We just bought this thing strictly to get away from wet camping and now we have to dry out our mattresses. I inspected the bunk ends with the dealer and afterwards and found no issues. My question is this: after packing up in the rain, how could we possibly get water ingression especially since there was no leaking during the downpour when it was all opened up? My wife is especially upset because she feels we may have wasted a lot of money if this is what dealing with a hybrid is like. I'm hopeful that there is an answer to this. I tried looking in the forum but all water leak issues don't seem to pertain to us.

Belly, I remember when we bought our 19' Roo new in 2014 I read in the manual to treat the stitches around the windows by wetting them and then drying them out - never really understood why. We have never had to fold it up wet and I suspect you are getting some wicking from the stitching when you fold up wet because the mattress is touching the stitches. Remember the old tent camping days. You would stay dry as long as nothing was touching the sides of the tent. We have had ours for 3 yrs and never had one drop of water and we just went through Hurricane Irma. Maybe you could look into sealing the stitching better but I suspect that is where the problem is.
Craigmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #35

Yeah, reading all the responses here and speaking with my dealer, im confident this is an isolated incident due to the rain. Im certain water wicked through the stitching and canvas. Im going to be diligent from now on and make sure all camping trips from here out are dry and happy! Thanks for all the great advice!

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I also put a window in the LP gas tank cover so I could see the regulator with the bunk end down.
I like it. Will be done before spring camping.
Quote:
Well, the Roo now has a new parking spot in my driveway! So glad to finally have it. My family is pretty excited as well, especially my two boys.
Now that its home, im going to get the WDH setup ready for the first trip this weekend.
Im also going to bend an extrusion for a full length prep table instead of the small one it came with. Im a charcoal guy, so i have no use for little propane one it came with. Also have to add some caulking in the upper corners of the bunk ends, saw that when the blasted it with the hose it had a drip. A bit of work to do but im looking forward to it all.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
MF5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #37

This is our first season with our 2015 Roo 21DK. Our first trip (without PUGs) the seams along the top wicked a little bit of rain. Enough to make me worried long term but not enough to get us wet. After PUGs- no dripping at all.

When we put it away damp/wet, we took the mattresses out of the ends to avoid dampness transfer. Just put them on the dinette. That seemed to help too.
FarmerTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #38

I was wondering if you turned on the exhaust fans and closed the door while closing up the beds? This sucks in the canvas to avoid it ballooning as you close them. If not, you could have caught canvas in the seals, especially along the top where you can't see it. With the continued rain it would have leaked in and seeped through to the mattress.

I ask this from experience! Been there, done that.

2016 Nights Camped = 22
2017 Nights Camped = 11
PEAS_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAS_PA View Post
I was wondering if you turned on the exhaust fans and closed the door while closing up the beds? This sucks in the canvas to avoid it ballooning as you close them. If not, you could have caught canvas in the seals, especially along the top where you can't see it. With the continued rain it would have leaked in and seeped through to the mattress.

I ask this from experience! Been there, done that.
Just to clarify, this only works with those hybrids with the pre-attached canvas.
Won't work with 2012 and older units.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #40

I remember mine leaking when I first brought home (2014). Had it set up in the drive way during a rainy day. The mattresses got a little wet. Then I seasoned the canvas and have had only an occasional and small ingress in the back bunk ever since. Hopefully yours will be fine, too
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo