Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Getting a new roo 233s, quiet family type campground recommendations?

I have been reading a lot of posts about outside noise and hybrids and wondering if certain "types" of campgrounds are more family friendlier than others? We will be camping with 6 kids and want to avoid the "party crowds". Which are preferrable : KOA, state parks etc ?
Tlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Btw we live in KC Mo region and will be camping within a max 200 mile range from home
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Infractee

I think you will find some "party" crowds at any CG you may visit, especially around holidays. Most parks have quiet hours, usually 10PM to 6AM, if you have some crazy party neighbors I would not hesitate to alert the park host @10 PM as it will not be getting any better by 11 PM when they have had even more time to consume....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Team

i have to say that you've posted twice regarding questions about the hybrid in heat and in noisy campgrounds.

why did you buy a hybrid, if these are possible issues for you, since these are two of a hybrid's possible weak points?

if you're not buying a hybrid because you LOVE to sleep under canvas and are willing to put up with the canvas's weaknesses, then you shouldn't be buying a hybrid.

there's no way of eliminating the possibility of noisy neighbors unless you boondock.
and there's no way you can say one type of campground will be better than another type.
we've had noisy neighbors in county/state/national park campgrounds and in private campgrounds.
with 6 kids, i have to say that a KOA is probably your best option, since they are so much more expensive than public campgrounds, which usually will keep party groups away. but not always.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Getting a new roo 233s, quiet family type campground recommendations?

We haven't purchased yet and understand the factors we will be dealing with ,we are just trying to educate ourselves to avoid avoidable issues if possible
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Site Team

just know that many have purchased hybrids, without really thinking about the canvas ends and end up selling it after only one season.
things like noise, temp control, putting up the tents wet or in the rain, end up becoming important issues for them.

for the majority of us that own a hybrid, we owned popups before and still want to continue the "tent" experience, no matter what the few negatives are.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Exactly why I am exploring the subject with my questions. We don't want to buy a hybrid without exhausting these concerns to avoid regret
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Good for you! many don't really do this, they just buy one for all the sleeping room there is.

we have loved our hybrid, that we've owned during our 50's.
but things change and now that we're beginning our 60's, loving the canvas ends is losing their luster only because our style of camping will be changing.
living in a trailer for 3-4 months straight isn't one of a hybrid's strong points, with having to setup and takedown the tent ends everytime you move.

i don't mind it but the DW wants a permanent walkaround bed now, if we're going to be doing this kind of lifestyle.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlemon View Post
I have been reading a lot of posts about outside noise and hybrids and wondering if certain "types" of campgrounds are more family friendlier than others? We will be camping with 6 kids and want to avoid the "party crowds". Which are preferrable : KOA, state parks etc ?
Holidays and school breaks tend to bring out the party people. I would recommend visiting some local campgrounds and even taking a daytrip to check out campgrounds not so local. There is a local beach campground in my area but I would only stay there during non-peak party times. Just driving through I could tell it wasn't my cup of tea but yet I have found it quiet during slower months.

I also agree that a KOA might be the better choice than a state park but I live in SoCal so my answer is based on my experience here. Of course others might have a different experience or viewpoint.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

or maybe some "church" campgrounds, rules are more strict usually no alcohol, maybe try joining one of the social networks like facebook, they usually have groups where fellow campers can give you better insight on campgrounds around you before you visit..just search "camping in Mo" or something like that, we belong to two on FB for Michigan and they have been alot of help'
It would be alot of work to give "state specific" sub sections on these forums but it would be nice?
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

We typically don't have problems with noisy out of control neighbors at the Texas state parks that we visit short of one trip to Inks Lake.

We pulled up to our spot by the lake - a guy was all set up with tower speakers, audio equipment - Dj style right next to where I was to set up the trailer.

We along with our friends that camp with us headed back to the check in counter and found a couple of great spots down the way - never heard a peep and had an incredible time.

The point is, while we've only camped in our Roo for about a year now, we've either been lucky or it isn't an issue of mass proportions.

Good luck!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Thanks for great info. We have owned 4 TT in the past so the hybrid experience will be new to us.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #13

We had a pop-up for 20 years and now our Roo, which we've had two summers now, so say 22 yrs camping. In our experience, only a few times did we really have any major issues with noisy neighbors and even then, they usually close up shop at the 10pm quiet time. Interestingly, it's not usually the kids that are noisy, but alcohol-drinking adults; usually when there's two or three RV's worth camping together.

The one memorable exception was when we made the unfortunate decision to stay at a "campground" in Jersey City, NJ the summer of 9/11. It's the only campground close to NYC and we wanted to do the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tours. The campground is across the Hudson River from Manhattan, just across the Morris Canal north of Liberty State Park (easily seen on Google satellite). It's really just a corner of a very large parking lot where people park and take water taxis over to Manhattan and they store boats in the winter. Out on the "point" by the river is a bar/dance hall. Unfortunately, we were there during the weekend of Puerto Rico day, with 5 million Puerto Rican's in NYC for the parade. That night the bar was going with the music at major decibels until 4am. When the music stopped and the bar closed is when the fights in the parking lot began, with GUNFIRE, police, etc. Here we were in a canvas sided trailer with people shooting 100 yds away. Pretty scary!! Fortunately, there were 4 or 5 Class A's between us and them. I'd never go back there again.

That experience not withstanding, it's like going to the movies: every once in a while, you get stuck with a "talker," but most times, it's OK.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #14

We have 8 kids and a 233s. Yes, noise can be a factor but we found that using the little fan/light things in the tent ends and the roof vent provided "white noise" to block out some of the noise. Our littlest ones slept on the sofa or the dinette made into the bed so noise was never an issue for them. The tent ends are another story if you happen to have loud neighbors. Our older kids used head phones if it was really bothersome. I am not too bothered by the noise, actually some of our funniest memories were the "late night" talkers. It can be better than television! For us, there wasn't much choice. The 233s provided the space we needed for the weight we could tow. I am not in love with the tent ends and would eventually like to go to a travel trailer, but overall, I am pleased with the 233s. Not perfect, but seldom do I find anything that is!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
We had a pop-up for 20 years and now our Roo, which we've had two summers now, so say 22 yrs camping. In our experience, only a few times did we really have any major issues with noisy neighbors and even then, they usually close up shop at the 10pm quiet time. Interestingly, it's not usually the kids that are noisy, but alcohol-drinking adults; usually when there's two or three RV's worth camping together.

The one memorable exception was when we made the unfortunate decision to stay at a "campground" in Jersey City, NJ the summer of 9/11. It's the only campground close to NYC and we wanted to do the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tours. The campground is across the Hudson River from Manhattan, just across the Morris Canal north of Liberty State Park (easily seen on Google satellite). It's really just a corner of a very large parking lot where people park and take water taxis over to Manhattan and they store boats in the winter. Out on the "point" by the river is a bar/dance hall. Unfortunately, we were there during the weekend of Puerto Rico day, with 5 million Puerto Rican's in NYC for the parade. That night the bar was going with the music at major decibels until 4am. When the music stopped and the bar closed is when the fights in the parking lot began, with GUNFIRE, police, etc. Here we were in a canvas sided trailer with people shooting 100 yds away. Pretty scary!! Fortunately, there were 4 or 5 Class A's between us and them. I'd never go back there again.

That experience not withstanding, it's like going to the movies: every once in a while, you get stuck with a "talker," but most times, it's OK.
WOW! That is quite the camping story!!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Mom28, only a huge quad bunkhouse TT, could handle a family of your size.
And you'd need a 3/4 ton truck or van to tow it.
As you said, only a 3-bed hybrid could handle your family in a short and lightweight package.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #17

Mom28:

My brother has 8 kids (5 boys, 3 girls) and I can't imagine that crew in a 233s. You must be a saint!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Mom28, only a huge quad bunkhouse TT, could handle a family of your size.
And you'd need a 3/4 ton truck or van to tow it.
As you said, only a 3-bed hybrid could handle your family in a short and lightweight package.

We pull a Quad bunkhouse with a 1/2 ton, mind you it's an ultralight. But even with that, it only sleeps 6 without dropping the dinette or the sofa. And when you drop the sofa, it almost touches the dinette effectively blocking the passageway.

Instead I'd recommend the approach my parents took when we camped. "This is our trailer. You go sleep in these tents."

Tags
233, 233s, mpg, roo