Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Getting up and walking on roo roof

First of all is it OK to walk on the roof of my 2104 roo 21DK? Next, how best to get up there.. I'm thinking a step ladder is best so you don't risk damaging the rain gutters or the edges of the camper by leaning a regular ladder against them.

I need to get up there to install my cover and while I'm up there I want to clean it well and inspect it. What's the best cleaner/protector to use and any thing I should be looking for up there while inspecting it??

Thanks and BTW... Loving our 21DK and this site... We've camped in it 27 nights since we got it in the spring and will probably make one last trip before winterizing it to make it 30. We found our trailer here in the classified section and the advice and support we got here made our first year learning curve a lot less steep and enjoyable.

You all are THE BEST!!!
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

We are on our third hybrid, and I always used a step ladder to get on the roof and install the cover............never had problems.
OK, I am a small man , but nevertheless, I can't think of another way to install the cover without climbing on the roof.

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

I used a step ladder to get the roof of my Roo19 and put the cover on. Three winters. No damage I'm aware of.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

To be safe you need a Step ladder that is over 8' tall! Youroo!!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

If you have spouts attached to your rain gutters, cut some tennis ball to put over, or pool noodles just so you won't rip your cover
Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
To be safe you need a Step ladder that is over 8' tall! Youroo!!
For some reason when I think step ladder I think of the ladders you find in peoples kitchens to reach the upper shelf(step stool) and I'm picturing some hilarious antics to get to the roof from one. I always thought of the bigger ones as A frame ladders, but I guess the terms are interchangeable.
- 2001 Coleman Utah (SOLD)
HostileJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Used a ladder with sheet of plywood.
Stay away from the soft plastic cover over each bunk end.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Look at the seams on the front, rear, sides, vents, antenna, or any other place where the factory used sealant. What you will be looking for is any cracking, peeling or shrinkage where the sealant is separating. Also look for holes in the roof from falling limbs.

If you find any then you should reapply sealant over trouble spots after cleaning with a recommended cleaner.

What many people are doing is putting Eternabond tape on all the seams. It's kind of expensive to buy but is cheaper than having to replace the roof or repairing any damage caused by water intrusion.

What ever you do , NEVER use silicon sealant on your RV. It will not last long, and is hard to get off so the proper sealants will stick.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileJava View Post
For some reason when I think step ladder I think of the ladders you find in peoples kitchens to reach the upper shelf(step stool) and I'm picturing some hilarious antics to get to the roof from one. I always thought of the bigger ones as A frame ladders, but I guess the terms are interchangeable.
Step Ladders - Ladders - The Home Depot

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Yup, I did that same search yesterday before I even replied, not questions your terminology, just never thought about it.
- 2001 Coleman Utah (SOLD)
HostileJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
First of all is it OK to walk on the roof of my 2104 roo 21DK? Next, how best to get up there.. I'm thinking a step ladder is best so you don't risk damaging the rain gutters or the edges of the camper by leaning a regular ladder against them.

I need to get up there to install my cover and while I'm up there I want to clean it well and inspect it. What's the best cleaner/protector to use and any thing I should be looking for up there while inspecting it??

Thanks and BTW... Loving our 21DK and this site... We've camped in it 27 nights since we got it in the spring and will probably make one last trip before winterizing it to make it 30. We found our trailer here in the classified section and the advice and support we got here made our first year learning curve a lot less steep and enjoyable.

You all are THE BEST!!!
I researched the same questions about six months ago, and found that: A) it is just fine to walk on the roof; B) there are lots of YouTube videos that tell you how to clean and treat the roof membrane, along with recommendations for products (just search "cleaning roof Rockwood Roo"); and C) unless you have Superman-like powers, there is no completely safe way to get up there. I don't love heights to begin with and the DW begins to have heart attack-like symptoms when she sees me on one. I use an extension ladder leaning against the back of my 21SS, but at a fairly (but not dangerously!) shallow angle so that most of the weight is absorbed by the ground, not by the roof edge.

I've washed my roof twice now, once in the spring and again a couple of weeks ago and lived to tell about it. Whatever products you use, be sure to clean and treat with a protectant.

Happy (and safe) cleaning!
RevKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Going to climb up there over the weekend and give the roof a good cleaning.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #13

Go for it Gerry and have a good time up there !.....Just be careful!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

Thanks for all the information and encouragement.... It was such a nice day here in NJ and I had some spare time on my hands so I got it done today...

I extended my Harbor Freight ladder, which is a knock off of the Little Giant, as far up as it would go in the step ladder configuration and it was high enough for me to climb up on the roof... It felt like there was some creaking in the area in front of the AC unit with my weight on it but otherwise it felt pretty solid.

Did an inspection of roof membrane and the chalking and all looks to be holding up well with the exception of the TV antenna wire seal and a small spot in the seam between where the rubber roof and the fiberglass meets above the front bunk. Going to get some of this stuff and fill in some cracks before I put the cover on https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Dicor-Se...g+roof+sealant

Gave the roof a good cleaning with some car wash and medium bristle brush, let it dry and sprayed a coat of 303 aerospace sealant with UV protection on it and wiped it in with a rag. I use this stuff on the boat and like the results and someone recommended it here, I went with it on the roo too.

While I was at it I hit all the plastic roof vents, AC and fridge cowlings and skylight too to give them so love.... I also did the body side decals with it so they have some UV protection on them now too.

Not a bad job at all and I feel better now that I have some UV protection on all the roof rubber, plastics and decals.

Hoping to get one more trip in before I winterize and cover
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

Happy all went well...........Living in Maine, I thought of winterizing our Roo last weekend, but I held on just in case.
I thought right.....we're leaving for another weekend tomorrow, and I'm sure this will be the last one............ but my wife and I will enjoy every minutes of it.......CHEERS !

Tags
roo, roof