Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #1

GFI tripping frequently

So, last few trips my bathroom GFI has been tripping and everything else downstream is losing power.
The only new thing I have on that circuit is my LED strips with consumes 70w with a 12v 5a power supply plugged in outside. Should I be running this serperately to the park power post? You now the outlets usually beside your 30amp shore supply?
Or is this odd that this is causing the GFI to trip and maybe it's faulty or too sensitive?

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #2

I would try to plug in those lights separately to see if that solves your issue. If not next step would be to replace the outlet... These GFI outlets can be temperamental and I've had to replace a few over time.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Site Team

The strip itself will not cause GFCI to trip, but if it is plugged in outside moisture can cause it to trip. Try to protect the plug from moisture. A GFCI will not trip due to over current, but rather from some of the current being diverted to ground. ( simple explanation)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #4

Cheap Chinese strips will cause this. Plug your lights into a non-GFI outlet and see what happens. I'm betting the GFI is doing its job. Especially if your plug is getting wet.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Cheap Chinese strips will cause this. Plug your lights into a non-GFI outlet and see what happens. I'm betting the GFI is doing its job. Especially if your plug is getting wet.
This is what i've come to believe. I know I dont have a high quality product and the GFI usually trips as you've mentioned. I'm camping this weekend so i'm going to try to run these lights seperately and see what happens.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote