Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB View Post
I put my batteries in a plastic carry all from wallmart installed a 1 1/2 inch hose in top for vent
Good quality AGM batteries should be fine "indoors", without venting, Just inspect regularly for a swelling, distortion or sign of problems, Not only are two 6's likely to be bigger in amp capacity than the two Groups 24's that fit the same footprint, but the have much better deep cycle discharge tolerance, but better cycle life.

I too question the fitness of the tow vehicle if that extra 35 to 45 lbs on the tongue is a problem.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Fullriver DC210-12 12V AGM 210 Ah @20 hr rate.
Those are a bit pricey but definitely big in both amp hour rating as well as price. I would love to see some mounting pictures. On the factory frame mounted battery rails on our 2017 FR Sandstorm toy hauler I can't get two of anything bigger than the footprint of two Group 24s or GC 2s in proper battery boxes. Group 27s would probably fit, without boxes, but I don't like the idea of batteries sitting in the open, exposed to dirt and weather.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Those are a bit pricey but definitely big in both amp hour rating as well as price. I would love to see some mounting pictures. On the factory frame mounted battery rails on our 2017 FR Sandstorm toy hauler I can't get two of anything bigger than the footprint of two Group 24s or GC 2s in proper battery boxes. Group 27s would probably fit, without boxes, but I don't like the idea of batteries sitting in the open, exposed to dirt and weather.
I hope to replace my two Interstate marine batteries sometime this spring. Finding a battery box or having one fabricated will be part of the exercise.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Great call on the batteries. I did exact same thing. Got a dual battery box from Century Plastics and then relocated (by welding) new angle iron braces about 6 inches forward on the tongue to allow for room of the taller batteries. Installed a cut off switch to the outside and bottled the box to the iron braces. Locks completed myinstall and I'm very happy now that I can run my heater all night when it's chilly with out the generator going. You'll love the 240 amp hrs!!
Pictures please.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Pictures please.

I too bought a battery box from Century.

Here are some of my pics.

I also fabricated a supplemental frame to hold the battery box in the event the factory one breaks. (The factory one has less than stellar welding.) It makes for a good handle too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	132769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	132770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	132771Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	132772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	132773
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #26

The battery box is white, but you can see I painted it black. My frame was very tight fitting so it scratched a bunch of paint off... and I didn't feel like messing with it.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #27

True Deep Cycle

Marine batteries are hybrids. They aren't true deep cycle. Most 6 v batteries are true deep cycle, but if it lists cold cranking amps (useful for engine starting) they probably aren't truly deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are much better for trailer use. They will start an engine, but don't have the cranking power of a car battery or marine battery. One of the reasons Trojans are popular is that they are true deep cycle.

That said, I run my trailer on the batteries that came with it. I have a 100 watt panel on the roof, and I turn my heater off at night and sleep in a sleeping bag. The heater wakes me up if it comes on at night.

I bought a locking tool box from Harbour Freight, and put the batteries in that. There's room left over for a few tools.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #28

Mnoland30,
>That said, I run my trailer on the batteries that came with it. I have a 100 watt panel on the roof, and I turn my heater off at night and sleep in a sleeping bag. The heater wakes me up if it comes on at night. <

Surprising as it might sound, a single candle at night, with the ceiling vent cracked an inch will keep the TT at mid 40s, when it is freezing outside.

I also use two 6 volt batteries, and disconnect the hot wire to the frig door.

--------------------
Ram2500 4x4 diesel, 6 speed manual
FR251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #29

21BD Battery Compartment Dimensions

I've enjoyed reading all of these responses, but I haven't yet heard from anyone who has moved their battery(ies) to a location off the tongue. I guess I'll just leave mine there as well.

So this brings up a question specifically for Roo/Shamrock 21BD owners: Do you know what the depth is of the battery "compartment" under the front deck?

Some of the 6V batteries I'm looking at are 3-4" taller than standard 12V batteries (especially the higher Ah rated 6Vs), and I'm worried that they won't fit below the 21BD's deck. I won't have my unit for another two weeks, so I can't measure it myself, but I'd like to order the batteries now. Is there at least 15" between the deck cover and battery support rails?
NCBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #30
Take The Road Less Travld

Is there anything I need to do with the inverter on a Roo if I changed to 2 6v batteries?
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #31

Inverter

I haven't done it, but as long as your amp loads on your trailer haven't changed, and you run the batteries in series to get 12v into your inverter, the inverter can't tell what your batteries are.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Is there anything I need to do with the inverter on a Roo if I changed to 2 6v batteries?

Connecting two 6v batteries together in series creates a 12v battery. The converter doesn't know any better, nor does it care. It is 12v.

(For more, and more and more amp-hours you can parallel 6v pairs (a 6v pair in series being 12v) together. The sky (and space/weight) is the limit!)

The reasons for upgrading a converter has do to with quality and performance, not because the factory one won't work with a pair of 6v batteries.

Usually when people start making battery changes they also look to aftermarket converters.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Did you mean CONverter, not INverter?
Unless you or a previous owner installed an INverter, you don't have one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you mean CONverter, not INverter?
Unless you or a previous owner installed an INverter, you don't have one.

Nice catch. I glossed right passed that.

Tags
batteries, cat