Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Good or bad bunk seals?

All three beds on our 2014 Roo seals don't meet up flush and corners are starting to pull back.
We keep the Roo under a pole barn and covered when not in use.
I worry about rain working its way in between the 2 seals while traveling in a heavy storm.
Is this normal or should I find out about getting it warrantied? So far I we have missed heavy rain while traveling so I can't say if it leaks or not. I really don't want to wait to find out either.

ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

I may just send the pictures to Forest River and see what they say. I really would like the 2 seals to sit flesh with each other and not be pulling away from the camper already.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

My seals look like that too but they don't leak. Let us know what you find out from Forest River. Curious!

MommaHuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Looks like someone chewed the ends off. Our '13 Roo had sloppily installed seals that did not leak. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced them all under warranty. My corners still don't meet perfectly but they don't look nearly as bad as yours. I've driven in some pretty heavy rain and never had a leak. I would go back to the dealer and see what they say.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

mine look like yours and ive had some minor leaking. took it in today to have seals replaced, canvass cleaned, and gutters put on above bed. im hoping that helps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
ficksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
kpm

Just curious. What type of gutters did you go with? Do you have a link and pictures? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
mine look like yours and ive had some minor leaking. took it in today to have seals replaced, canvass cleaned, and gutters put on above bed. im hoping that helps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
kpm

I would certainly look at getting them fixed under warranty. I had leaks with both bunk ends while closed on my new 2014 roo 23ss. The initial service visit repaired the rear bunk end. I think they just adjusted the closing tension and added silicon sealer to the black foam seal. However, the front still leaked when the bunk door was closed.

After careful research and documentation I concluded t hat the front seal needed to be replaced and requested that they do so. It was done under warranty. They replaced it with a bigger and fatter black foam seal. The foam is not installed perfectly like I would have done it, but I think it's acceptable with no gaps. So far there have been no leaks, but I need to monitor it.

With all of the manufacturing technology and CAD in this day in age, it seems like they should be able to make a door that closes that does not leak. While I love my Roo, I question the reliability of the door seals and closing mechanisms. For example, I inspected the the Jayco and Kodiak hybrid models while on site at the dealer. Their closing mechanisms, rubber seals and gutters looks like a much better solution to guard against leaks.

I will attach two pictures for your reference. One is the seal on my roo as installed by the manufacturer. It has since been replaced under warranty. Notice that the seals are not flush. This permitted water to leak in. The next picture is from the dealer lot. Two of the brand new Roo units had seals that were uneven, had gaps and were even pealing off! Leaks waiting to happen for the buyer.

I am grateful that this was an issue that is now potentially fixed by the seal being replaced. Everything else on my unit works perfectly!

[QUOTE=ParrishCamper;677251]All three beds on our 2014 Roo seals don't meet up flush and corners are starting to pull back.
We keep the Roo under a pole barn and covered when not in use.
I worry about rain working its way in between the 2 seals while traveling in a heavy storm.
Is this normal or should I find out about getting it warrantied? So far I we have missed heavy rain while traveling so I can't say if it leaks or not. I really don't want to wait to find out either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4718.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	60754   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	60755  
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #8

Forest River is sending new seals for us to fix. My local dealership wouldn't be able to get the camper in for 6 months and by then it may be too late.
Thanks everyone for your input.