Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 03:34 AM   #1

gutter

has anyone modified the bed end to include a gutter to keep rain out?
bdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #2

This thread has some pictures -more of a cover than a gutter, but same idea.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-74901-5.html

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Older models had gutters above the bunk ends.
not sure when FR discontinued that.
our 2007 23SS has them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Older models had gutters above the bunk ends.
not sure when FR discontinued that.
our 2007 23SS has them.
Believed they shaved them in the late 2012s when the unitized tent came out.

Interesting reading that some still have problems with the redesign. After the seal changes, our 2008 never again had issue. However, I did a lot of leak fixes for fellow Roo/Shamrock owners.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

What do you mean by unitized bunk end?also the fabric the covers the hinge is fabric in some pictures I see it is black rubber is this something that forest river changed? Why? also underneath the hinges that close the bed end I have heard some have rubber pads. Mine does not. Which is standard? Just thinking if it is standard to have them and without them my latches may not be putting adequate pressure on the door and seal. Insight ? Advice?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeals View Post
What do you mean by unitized bunk end?also the fabric the covers the hinge is fabric in some pictures I see it is black rubber is this something that forest river changed? Why? also underneath the hinges that close the bed end I have heard some have rubber pads. Mine does not. Which is standard? Just thinking if it is standard to have them and without them my latches may not be putting adequate pressure on the door and seal. Insight ? Advice?
Unitized bunk ends described the 2012-current bunk ends where the tent is attached to the bunk door.

The hinge "gap filler" looks different to you because FR has changed what and where the seal has been several times in the evolution of the bunk ends. Where you "see" fabric, it obscures the actual seal and acts as a filler so you don't loose things in the gap. In the original design, the seal was right there, and the seal material has been black, grey (2 shades) and white from the factory!

You mean the latches that close the bunk end. The original design did have pads. They are using polymer one now and should not have them. I believe a member here found out why - you'll have breakage of either the latch, or more likely, the door frame!

One thing not widely understood is that a proper weather seal is not tightly compressed. It should be compressed just enough to provide positive contact all the way around - i.e., enough to make it conform. A seal too tight leaks as bad as a seal to loose.

In my years of camping with our 21ss and with many other hybrid owners, you could almost always attribute the big leakers to units where the out of plane in the wall (i.e., bowing) and out of plane of the bunk door had the greatest mismatch. I fixed many leakers by simply removing the factory strut (reinforcement that's screwed to the inside of the door at the top/furthest edge on the bunk door), changing the curvature of the door at that lip mechanically, and then screwing on a new strut made from steel channel affording a larger section modulus to keep the re-curved shape. Others with a better gutter/deflector.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Geotex1, if you have pics of your fixes for your Roo and others, please share them. Leaking bed door seals is likely the most common problem among Roo/Shamrock owners.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Geotex1, if you have pics of your fixes for your Roo and others, please share them. Leaking bed door seals is likely the most common problem among Roo/Shamrock owners.
Yeah, I'm sorry to hear they continued to be leakers. I used to be very active in the forums and I even used to fabricate and powder coat a drip edge to replace the gutters on units before 2012 to solve the problem. I'm sure the solution I made for them would carry well into the new models since it seems the problem persists. I haven't fabricated any though since late-2010 when I lost access to a full fab shop.

What I did was create a modern version of any old-style drip edge. This will give you an idea as I don't know where my old photos are at the moment:

Picture that, the correct length for the bunk door and with a 1-5/8" projection. I made them modern by trading out the exposed screw holes in favor of providing a modern vinyl trim screw cover track. Once installed you thought it was factory.

For those who couldn't afford them, I had this profile run in special dimension (paid for the dies - ouch) so that it would fit in the vinyl trim screw cover track of the factory gutter and provide much more projection but not so much the door would catch it:

Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #9

Geo look forward to picking your brain about a fix. Also I have no pad at all under any of my 4 latches....metal on metal.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

Checked on my 2012 21dk and none of the latches have any kind of pad. Simply metal on metal. How much did it cost to install gutters?