Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Heating and Cooling

Question about the heat and air on the Rockwood Roo 233s. We are picking up our new home on Monday. I'm getting together everything we need as this is our first trailer of any kind (we are upgrading from a tent.) Has anyone used the Pop Up Gizmos to help with keeping it cool in summer and warmer in winter? Do the gizmo really work? Thanks for any help! I need to read through the forum for lots of other info!

Also, which size do you recommend - standard, high wind, or super high wind? We live in Ohio, but we plan to camp all over the country. Is the wind rating for gusts or just averages?
makamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

I am sure the gismos are great to use and work well but I have never used them in 7 years of hybrid camping, now I don't have 3 bunk ends but with 2 bunk ends my 23ws warms up rather quickly with the furnace and cools down quite nicely with the air conditioner. I am in pa not far from the ohio border we have the camper open in the yard almost all summer and it cools quickly.

However with 3 bunk ends pugs would probably be a good idea but nothing you have to panic and run out and get, a lot of people use an electric heater to supliment the furnace (I have one for emergencies) but we mostly use what came with the camper.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised how well the systems work and how comfortable camping is, especially when you get full hook ups, I suggest you do some camping trips and then decide if you need pugs, learn your rig a little and then ad them on later.

One thing you may want to look in to are JT stronarm stabilizers, I put them on mine and it really takes a lot if that shake out of the rig when people move around, a shaky rig drives me bonkers but might not matter to others. The jts are tough to install but so worth it, how many will be going with you when you camp?

Good luck, enjoy, post any questions you have and post pics!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #3

Thank you Mainframe!! I was going to look into stabilizers too! Are those for under the slide?

What do you use for wheel chocks? X-chocks, chocks on the ground or both? I would think that would help with the shimmy shake too. So many decisions and unknowns! Haha!!

As for camping we will have 4-6 people most trips. We wanted the 3rd bed so both my kids could easily bring friends along, for my niece and nephew who often come with us, or for when my mother-in-law comes camping with us. Now we could have all of them at once. Way more space than our 12x12 tent. I'm very excited and nervous, but mainly excited!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	134041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	134042here are stabilizers,
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

The pics went in double, not sure why, I got x chocks but they did very little for wobble, stabilzers are the answer, go camping a few times maybe wibbke won't bug you. When you do go camping don't forget we are all on here to help, just make a post or pm people, great bunch on here and they are really knowledgeable when it comes to the campers..enjoy
Old 04-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #6

We're on our third hybrid, and never used popup gizmos. Not saying you don't need them, but in our situation, we don't.
1-We live in Maine, and our camping season is from June to beginning of October.
2-We rarely use the A/C or the furnace.....it's never too cold or too hot.
3-Very rarely did we see debris falling on the hybrid.
4-I have COPD, and installing popup gizmos would take a lot of energy from me.

So, in conclusion:
1-If you camp early or late in the season, you will need them.
2-If you camp where there are debris that might fall on your tent ends (branches, tree sap, etc etc) you will need them.

Congratulations on your new purchase.
Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

We have had pop-ups for 20 years and now a hybrid for 3. Do not have pugs. We try to camp from April to late October and the furnace and ac have done a fine job keeping us comfortable. Pick your sites carefully.....shady in summer..sunny in spring and fall..you should be fine.

Definitely agree with mainframe. If you have any questions or issues, get on the forum. We are all here to help and share info.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

Thank you all so very much! You have all been so helpful already! I will definitely keep checking this entire forum space here for more help!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

We're full timing in a 5er now but prior to that were pop-up campers. We had PUG's on our second pop-up. I don't recall them helping with heating but they were a life saver in the summer during nap time. They kept the bunk ends much cooler and also blocked the sunlight which helped the kids sleep later in the morning and actually sleep when they were supposed to be napping.
skidsareforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #10

makamama,

First, congrats on your Roo 233s. Something else you might want to consider besides PUGS is doing the Reflectix mod to the window areas of the tent ends. It's basically bubble wrap with foil on each side. Make a cardboard template of the window areas, trace it on the Reflectix and cut it out. When not in use store them under the mattress's. Reflectix can be found at most big box home stores or well stocked hardware stores. Look in the plumbing area because it's used to wrap/insulate water heaters. We used it on our previous popup and hybrid campers and it did make a difference when running furnace and AC.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Congrats on the 233S! I do use my old original PUGS as they were left over from my previous pop-up. I also have a 233S and I'm short one PUG for the third bed. We usually don't cover the back bed and keep the curtain closed during the day with A/C running. They make a huge difference as we camp many days in the heat of Texas hill country. It is easily over 100 degrees in the summer and the camper stays very comfortable. I have also been in 40mph steady winds and have not lost a PUG yet. I keep them in place with some 1-1/2" clips from Home Depot. Spaced about 1ft apart they are on for good!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1492351258.583869.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	134870
Old 04-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

I have used PUGS on 3 different hybrids and a popup. They are worth their weight in gold to us. Also the reflectix mod for early spring and late fall is gospel.

If you canvas is in direct sun try and hold your hand on the inside without a pug, then put the pug on and try it.

If you're going to buy them get the super high wind versions. The attached bungees are way easier and faster to put on than playing around with a crapload of clamps.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #13

It is not that I enjoy playing around with a crapload of clamps, but the PUGS I have are the originals bought 14 years ago when there were no options. For me, two kids with nothing to do when helping set up and a crapload of clamps for $10 is way cheaper than a new set of high wind PUGS.

Tags
cooling, heating