Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #1

Help!! Refrigerator Hot

We are having trouble with our fridge. 2013 Roo 183 and fridge is Dometic 2652rbx. It’s getting hot on both gas and plugged in power. Last weekend we found it wasn’t working on electric so we switched to gas to get us through the weekend. Now packing for this weekend and it is HOT. ☹️ I searched the forum and manuals and here’s what I have done: lights work on panel and the check light not on. Pilot is lit and lights fine. Flipped all breakers off and back on. Checked all fuses on inside panel. Took panel off outside trailer and removed the black box. Checked the 2 fuses out there and reseated the 5A. Still nothing.

Anyone have a similar issue and a fix?
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #2

Check for blockage in the chimney vent. There’s not much that can go wrong if the pilot lights/gas ignites but need good air flow up the chimney.
thaithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaithco View Post
Check for blockage in the chimney vent. There’s not much that can go wrong if the pilot lights/gas ignites but need good air flow up the chimney.

Where would you check the chimney vent?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSNewbie View Post
We are having trouble with our fridge. 2013 Roo 183 and fridge is Dometic 2652rbx. It’s getting hot on both gas and plugged in power. Last weekend we found it wasn’t working on electric so we switched to gas to get us through the weekend. Now packing for this weekend and it is HOT. ☹️ I searched the forum and manuals and here’s what I have done: lights work on panel and the check light not on. Pilot is lit and lights fine. Flipped all breakers off and back on. Checked all fuses on inside panel. Took panel off outside trailer and removed the black box. Checked the 2 fuses out there and reseated the 5A. Still nothing.

You don't have a pilot, you have a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition). But if the burner is lit, then any problem you are having is with cooling ability. First check is the vent, as advised above. But given the outside temps, you probably need to install some computer fans to blow up through the outside coils, and you should probably get a fan for inside the fridge, too. Lots of threads here discuss installing fans. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...o-i-31639.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Where would you check the chimney vent?

It will run directly above the fridge thru the ceiling. It’s a rectangle vent box on the roof. Like 4-6 screws to remove and you can see down it.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

But the fridge a hot... no cold at all
Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:

This may sound odd but a refrigerator doesn’t get cold...it simply removes heat. Without heat you’re left with cold. So need good air flow up the chimney in order for it to let the evaporator coils work. Otherwise the heat just builds up and you’re left with a hot box and not a cold one.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
One possibility, RV refrigerators that run on propane are absorption types. Heat applied to the ammonia/iodine solution starts the process. If you have a leak and lose the solution it just gets hot.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Is the RV level? How long after starting it are you checking it. In hot weather it can take up to 24 hrs to get cold. The if it is empty every time you open it, you basically start the clock over again. Might try a remote thermometer.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986...ge+thermometer

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Has it worked in the past? I would assume so.

Has the thermistor fallen off the cooling fins in the fridge section?

If both the freezer and the fridge section are hot, you aren't getting any cooling, there are a couple of possibilities.

Here is a link to the manual, about 4-5 pages in there is a trouble shooting page. Just follow along.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaithco View Post
It will run directly above the fridge thru the ceiling. It’s a rectangle vent box on the roof. Like 4-6 screws to remove and you can see down it.
many units have side vents that don't go thru the roof. I think these are the ones causing all the problems.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:

Don't try to cool down an empty fridge. Put some bottles of water in it. Put some frozen ice travel bricks to help it get started. It may take 24 hours.

You stated that propane "got you by" did it work or not? Did you check the circuit breaker? Do you have it in AUTO? If you're trying to use gas, flipping breakers will be of no help.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Thanks everyone. So, fingers
Crossed it’s the thermometer. We got the trailer 2nd hand and the little thermostat was hanging in the fridge. I found the clip and I now have it mounted. Odd thing is the fridge has been working without it mounted however it was no where near as hot as it is now. Fingers crossed this is all it is. I have it on gas and I’m going to put frozen ice bottles to help it
Old 07-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Didn’t work. Still looking for input.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Has it worked in the past? I would assume so.

Has the thermistor fallen off the cooling fins in the fridge section?

If both the freezer and the fridge section are hot, you aren't getting any cooling, there are a couple of possibilities.

Here is a link to the manual, about 4-5 pages in there is a trouble shooting page. Just follow along.

Aaron

Thank you for that link. I’ll read through.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

It may be that the cooling unit has gone south, happens more than you would think. If it has to be replaced get the Amish unit.

Aaron

Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Is the RV level? How long after starting it are you checking it. In hot weather it can take up to 24 hrs to get cold. The if it is empty every time you open it, you basically start the clock over again. Might try a remote thermometer.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986...ge+thermometer
Mine was having issues this past week. Turned out the camper was about an inch out of level. I had no idea they were that sensitive but sure enough when i corrected the problem it started getting colder
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
Mine was having issues this past week. Turned out the camper was about an inch out of level. I had no idea they were that sensitive but sure enough when i corrected the problem it started getting colder
Apparently some are more sensitive than others. I read somewhere that then need to be within 1.5%-2% of level. Also most I have seen are mounted near the center of the units over the axles which is where they would be most level under most conditions. However there are always exceptions to the rule...

Aaron

Old 07-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Apparently some are more sensitive than others. I read somewhere that then need to be within 1.5%-2% of level. Also most I have seen are mounted near the center of the units over the axles where is where they would be most level under most conditions. However there are always exceptions to the rule...

Aaron
I don't see how a refrigerator's being over the axles would make it more likely to be level - unless the floor is not level end-to-end or side-to side.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I don't see how a refrigerator's being over the axles would make it more likely to be level - unless the floor is not level end-to-end or side-to side.
Side to side might be more of an issue. But by being over the axles it is at the balance point.

Also have noted that my wife is more accurate about things being out of level than I am. If it is uncomfortable for her, then the fridge probably won't work.

Aaron

Tags
refrigerator