Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #1

Hitch Height - 235s

We just bought a 235s and waiting for it to arrive and I’m wondering what the hitch height is for the WD hitch plz folks.

We run a Ford Expedition, so likely similar settings to anyone running a F150 as a TV.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Puppy527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #2

We were told to park the TV on level ground and measure the distance between the ground and the hitch opening. I just can't remember if it was to the bottom or top of the opening.
dseepersad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

Here you go, from etrailer.com:
"For a correct measurement you need to measure the distance from the ground to the top of the receiver opening on your vehicle. You then need to measure the height from the ground to the bottom of your coupler on your trailer when the trailer is level and on level ground."
dseepersad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

Here's a couple of photos on how my Equalizer WDH is set for my Roo 23SS which should provide a good starting point. This is my 2007 Expedition. Trailer and hitch currently ride behind my 2017 Expedition with no changes. (The F150 has different suspension, distance from the axle to the hitch, etc.)

-- Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch height.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	232613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Height.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	232614  
Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy527 View Post
We just bought a 235s and waiting for it to arrive and I’m wondering what the hitch height is for the WD hitch plz folks.

We run a Ford Expedition, so likely similar settings to anyone running a F150 as a TV.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Of course you can attempt to dial it in as close as possible to start but it will likely take some tweaking to get it properly set up. On our rig that involved moving the ball mount up a notch, so have the wrenches (and tape measure) with you when you go to pick up the trailer and allow an hour or so to get it right.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Great tips thank you everyone and for the pics
Much appreciated
Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Here's a couple of photos on how my Equalizer WDH is set for my Roo 23SS which should provide a good starting point. This is my 2007 Expedition. Trailer and hitch currently ride behind my 2017 Expedition with no changes. (The F150 has different suspension, distance from the axle to the hitch, etc.)

-- Chuck
Chuck, thank you. Every had any issues towing the TT with the Expy? No issues with the weight?
Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

No issues with the Roo 23SS behind my Expeditions -- nor my Explorer although that truck was right at her limit with that SUV. All my SUVs have had the factory HD Tow option. The max towing capacity for the Expeditions is ~9300 pounds.

Caveat is I'm using the very competent Equalizer(tm) WDH (not one with chains or a sliding sway control) and a proportional Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller in the '07 and the wonderful built-in Ford controller in the '17.

Ford receivers have a lot of vertical slop and I had to max-out the number of washers in the Equalizer head to tip the ball back enough. I expect this only makes sense only to users of this hitch.

If the dealer sets the hitch it will be wrong. Hurried installation and the trailer will be empty. Takes a couple of hours on a flat surface and good section of road to tune to loaded configuration. This is the same for any WDH.

Same for the trailer brakes which will need adjustment as they wear in.

-- Chuck
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #9

Reese Video

Here's a helpful "How To" video from the people at Reese:

https://youtu.be/ZHYTw9e5oIY

From memory, I think they use measurements to the top of the front and rear wheel wells / fenders. It doesn't really matter where you measure the heights, as long as you use the same measurement locations for all before and after measurements so the reference points are not changing.

I followed this video's instructions and installed and adjusted my hitch in less than two hours, including mounting the anti-sway. The only adjustment I changed was the angle adjustment on the ball mount. Other than that all was easy and straight forward.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch