Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #21

Is it possible the latch is not even releasing when the lever is pulled up? The hook could already be forward and the lever not moving it at all. I have had that happen to me a time or two and had to clean the whole thing and make sure it moves freely before hooking up. I know he stated it works ok unhooked but it could just look like it does without actually moving the fork, if that makes any sense. He could also reach into the coupler and try to move it with his hand to make sure it is free
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #22

Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRich View Post
Is it possible the latch is not even releasing when the lever is pulled up? The hook could already be forward and the lever not moving it at all. I have had that happen to me a time or two and had to clean the whole thing and make sure it moves freely before hooking up. I know he stated it works ok unhooked but it could just look like it does without actually moving the fork, if that makes any sense. He could also reach into the coupler and try to move it with his hand to make sure it is free
People don't realize that the lever doesn't just pull the fork up. It actually slides the fork forward when depressed and backward when lifted. With no trailer ball in place, you should easily be able to slide the lever-fork assembly back and forth. If not, cleaning and greasing is in order.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #23

It's tricky as most here say. RSDATA's diagram works for me. As I lower the tongue, I keep pressure on the latch until it closes. If I put full weight on the ball and then try to latch it, it won't latch. Sometimes, it even looks like you are too high when it latches but picking up on the tongue to test it will confirm it's latched.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #24

With the trailer hooked up chock the wheels and put a bit of forward pressure on the trailer by moving the truck 1/2inch. Note how easily the coupler releases. This is the same position the coupler will easily mate with the ball, just a tad aft of the forward edge of the ball.

Shouldn't be an rust on the ball or coupler if run without grease. It all gets worn off on the road.

-- Chuck
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #25

You might need to adjust the latch.
I had a popup that the at the dealer messed with before I picked it up from servicing.
Had to readjust to get everything working correctly.
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have received lots of good advice about hitching and lubrication.

One last thing since you don't seem to have a lot of knowledge about the mechanical workings of your hitch latch, (that's not a dig at you, simply stating what you have told us) it is entirely possible in your attempts at hitching/unhitching, that you have bent the latch/fork and it may never work correctly.

By all means, have someone you feel qualified look at your hitch and be sure something isn't more amiss besides procedure.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #27
RV There Yet?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-25194-Po.../dp/B0007LZH0A

the link above is for a replacement, but it does give you a really good idea of what you are working with and how it should look when you inspect yours. there should be a nut on the bottom of the foot that engages the trailer ball as well. could it be that the nut is out of adjustment and not allowing proper engagement?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #28
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Quickie rule: The coupler should reach for the ball. There trailer can move forward a fraction of an inch and slide over the ball even if chocked.

-- Chuck
This!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #29

The grease and tips worked great. Thanks everyone
Vic Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Miller View Post
The grease and tips worked great. Thanks everyone
Great news!
Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #31

Once in a blue moon

On our brand new first TT in 2006 we had a terrible time hitching and unhitching, even with friendly helpers from nearby sites, and jumping up and down on the truck, all across the country and back. We always greased. It turned out that the new ball was out of round which the dealer couldn't believe. Once when we tried jacking up the trailer jack to release it, the hitch popped off the ball while the latch was still engaged. We demonstrated this to the dealer. His eyes got big! He installed a new ball - problem solved for the remaining 15 years with that trailer. The angle of the truck in relation to the trailer (front to back or side to side in a lumpy campsite) made it worse with an out-of-round ball.
Jerry Gaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #32

Chuck S that is it trailer pulls the truck ball into coupler
Meritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #33

I have similar problems as you describe but usually only occurs when I’m on unlevel ground that results in either the front end of the truck being high or the back end of the TT being high when hitching up.

In other words at the hitch point the angles are creating a slight “V”. It’s maddening for sure. Like others have suggested, I sprayed a little lubricant onto things and it seems to have helped.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #34

Setting parking brake may also help. Putting tow vehicle in park will allow vehicle to roll back slightly keeping latch from closing even though you may have inched forward. I usually hold the brake pedal tight and set parking brake then move vehicle to the park position.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Real time help seems to be what you need.

Who hitched up the R/V for you when you went?
Could they show you how?

Many R/Vers in campgrounds are willing to be helpful.
Ask around, I'd gladly help you if I were in your campground.

Short of that, post some photos and we'll take a look and see if we see anything out of the ordinary.
This question was never answered, how did you get the trailer to the campground and who hooked it up and was it the same tow vehicle? As I read all the comments, it seems like the ball is to big.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #36

Do not know if you got it, they sometimes have an adjustment. Might be to tight to latch it may need to back off on the latch to make it work. What you do is flip it up all the way and twist the latch andback off some and try.
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerjk View Post
Do not know if you got it, they sometimes have an adjustment. Might be to tight to latch it may need to back off on the latch to make it work. What you do is flip it up all the way and twist the latch andback off some and try.
Back in post #29, the OP stated that it's fixed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, safety