Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Honda Ridgeline Towing Update

This past spring I purchased a used 21DK and was a little concerned about towing it with my 2007 Honda Ridgeline. I was on the boarder of my towing capacity since the 21DK was 4010 dry with a 590 pound tongue weight and the Honda has a towing capacity of 5000 pounds with 600 pounds of tongue.

Well, I've towed it probably 700 miles now and I have to say, I'm very pleased with how it tows...Yes I do take my time, nothing more the 60/65 and the truck will downshift when I go up grades but it's not screaming or obnoxious and I'm getting around 11 miles per gallon. I have had to make some quick stops and maneuvers and it behaved surprising very well too.

A few things I did/do.
- The factory hitch was rated for 500 pounds of tongue so I upgraded to a 700 pound hitch.
- I'm also using a equalizer weight distribution hitch, even though Honda does not recommend using one.... It's a game changer since it lessens the rear end squat which keeps the truck level and no sway at all unless I get passed by a big semi truck.
- I also inflate the tires on the truck to 40 pounds
- Since I have the RTX version of the Ridgeline it came standard with a transmission cooler or that is something I would have added.
- I also added an electric break controller.

Having said all this, I'm still lusting after a Chevy Silverado High Country and I'm sure it would tow it better... But for now I'm satisfied the Honda meets my needs and I'm not out $50K for a new truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Stewarts Pond 2017.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	148691  
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
So glad its working for you... I do think this biggest part of the issue is driver awareness... You've upgraded the hitch, you're using a weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, your're watching the tires, and most importantly you're watching your speed. If you're getting a little too much sway when being passed, you may want to add a friction anti-sway bar to your setup. They really do work well.

So glad it's working out for you... now get out there and camp!!! lol
Old 08-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #3

Everything I have learned......reading and talking to people the most important thing is payload and if it's just u and one person in the cab and u pack lite u should be under ur payload!!!!!!

So how close to the max of ur payload r u?

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
So glad its working for you... I do think this biggest part of the issue is driver awareness... You've upgraded the hitch, you're using a weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, your're watching the tires, and most importantly you're watching your speed. If you're getting a little too much sway when being passed, you may want to add a friction anti-sway bar to your setup. They really do work well.

So glad it's working out for you... now get out there and camp!!! lol
Thanks the equalizer hitch does have anti sway control as well. The trailer does not shimmy, you just get this momentary feeling like you are getting sucked into the semi truck when it passes.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT233S View Post
Everything I have learned......reading and talking to people the most important thing is payload and if it's just u and one person in the cab and u pack lite u should be under ur payload!!!!!!

So how close to the max of ur payload r u?
My payload is rated for 1550 so minus the trailer tongue of 600, that leaves me 950. Plenty for me and the wife even with all the excess make up, toiletry and shoes she tends to bring
Curt Trutrack WDH

Tags
towing