Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #21

We have a 2015 21DK and have had no problem with leaks. Just got home from a 2week trip and had severe thunderstorms the first night out and rain again on the last night. No water inside.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #22

Just guessing but I would think the gaps you saw in the upper corners of the tent ends would indicate the lack of silicone used to seal the upper and lower corners of the tents. I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it by re-sealing the tents to the frame of the camper. Seems a little silicone is all that prevents leaks in the upper corners. I would've rejected it also, but I'll bet it's on the lot for sale anyway.
rgthoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #23

I am going to try to be the exception and talk about a pretty good camper just to give you both sides of owning a hybrid. We loved and wanted a hybrid for multiple reasons. I to was nervous about the purchase, Its a big purchase for us. We have had some very minor issues with our 2016 23ss. Everything has pretty much been amazing. Now it didn't start this way, I'll give a brief overview of my experience. The PDI didn't go well for us. When I asked what kind of temp was coming out of the air conditioner he said they don't check the temp they just check that it gets cold. Then he assured me it was cold, "feel for yourself" as he turns it on and it literally blew snow all over the interior of the camper because it was never turned on prior to this. With his face as red as it gets, It did get cold and we moved on. from that point I made him literally turn every component on that was feasible. With a list of checked items in his hand I asked to see it, Sure enough, All the jacks were checked off as working properly. My next question was how could the jacks be working properly when both back jacks are bend at almost a 90 deg angle and dirt is caked in both of them. Again, with a red face he looked and said, "Oh man, How did that happen?". Of course they were replaced on the spot. But here is my point. Dealers stink as a rule, sorry if their are any on here just my observation. They are there for one purpose, to sell, sell and sell. But, here is the saving grace. If you are even remotely handy their literally is NOTHING, Other than structure itself (which you found on the first one you tried to buy) on these that you cant fix yourself. Maybe some exceptions somewhere but very basic. And, as an extra bonus You have these wonderful people on this forum that are way more than happy to help you not only understand what you have but how it works. You already have an upper hand because you are here asking questions before you even have your trailer. I went through everything on my camper before it ever left the driveway. Seasoning the tent ends, Spraying water over everything I could, Checking known gap issues and just listening to these guys and girls. You may not get a great camper initially, After all they are mass produced and I can tell you the first time quality isn't great. But I can with a lot of certainty assure you with a little bit of fore thought, Some ingenuity, and the basic love of having your hybrid it will work out just wonderful.
Purdyquibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #24

I think you can pretty much make any trailer leak with a garden hose forcing water in areas rain might not ever reach. I have anew Rockwood fifth wheel that has a few areas I know I could make leak with a hose but won't leak in a rainstorm. Had a Roo 23ss before this and never had any leaks.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #25

Didn't buy a hybrid, but some of the same shopping principles apply...

I purposefully shopped for TT's during heavy rains... Found new ones that leaked badly whereas our used TT was bone-dry. I spent 3 hours in our TT before making an offer and another 2.5 hours during the PDI. Our dealer included a FREE pressure-test & re-caulking as a part of the sale & I watched them caulk to make certain they did it right...

During my solo 3 hour stint I looked behind every access panel with a flashlight for signs of prior water damage. The dust/sawdust left-behind from construction will glob together if the TT had prior leaks and/or there will be rusty screws & stained wood...

Our (used) TT was bone dry whereas a new one (same model) leaked badly so I bought the used one for 30+% less than the best new/wholesale price I could find... 15 months later we have had no issues & have spent our time camping vs. having dealer warranty work done... IMO nothing is worse than spending peak camping season waiting on repair work because the buyer didn't take 4-5 hours to look things over before making a major purchase...

BTW, this was our first TT purchase - no prior TT experience... Just combined what I learned on these forums with common sense to make certain I didn't get a lemon...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #26

Have a 2014 233s and as much as I hate to say it- it's a complete lemon.

It leaked so badly the sides delaminated.... Eventually, forest river shipped the unit back to their factory and replaced just about everything - the flooring, the cabinets, all three bunk ends plus three new tent ends.

Got it back and month ago and the front bunk end is already delaminating again.

Sucks cause the family loves the hybrid - the one we got just sucks badly
Marine3038 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak