Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

How do we protect our investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
Can someone help me find the thread about using PVC or ABS pipe on the bunk doors to prevent leaks? I've looked for 20 mins and can't find it...

Can we start a thread about the hints, mods, and procedures to ensure we can do all we can to prevent some of the problems that have been posted in the past? We love our camper, and it would be nice to get input, ideas, and best of all pictures of what the Hybrid community does to maintain their investment in one thread.I'll start! I put a sealant in the gap between the vertical and horizontal seals on the bunk ends the first day I brought the camper home. Every sunny day, I open every thing just to air out.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411767542.276126.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	63592
Links to other posts are great also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

Sorry about that, I link my post to rackman's. That's what happens when you do everything on the iPhone!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

Are you wanting to find this one regarding the pvc top seal covers?

A lot of that info is buried in those posts about the process of tucking in the vinyl on the bunk ends. Its one level up under the hybrid discussions. There's searchable information about using pvc for older designs as well.

Hope this helps, understand where you are coming from regarding protecting your investment.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?p=703435
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

Rackman asked about the PVC. I inadvertently commented in his quote. I just wanted to get input on proactive steps we can all do.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #5

'Can we start..... ' is the beginning of my intended thread.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Seals and seams seem to be the issue.
You have rubber seal on the top and sides and then on the bottom a hinge (which people mention may wick water in) and another seal across the bottom.
What I find interesting is most of these seals don't meet up w/ each other. My camper all seals had 1/4 to 1 inch gap between them. On cars the seal is 1 piece that bends and curves w/ the door. Seems like less chance for water to work its way in this way verse open gaps.
Then seams are another issue. If you look around the door and under the canvas where the hinge is there are plenty of places for water to work it's way in through bad caulk. Even on new campers with bad caulk jobs like mine.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote