Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

How do you like the 235S?

We have had a Rockwood Roo 23ss for about 13 years now and really like it. I happen to see a newer one and while we still like our 23ss we also really like the upgrades they made on the 235s. So.....we're thinking about trading ours's in for the 235S. Would like to hear from folks how they like the 235S. Thanks
charthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

We love ours so far. Been out 4 trips. Two longer ones. Enjoy the outside kitchen and the room inside. We were going with the 233S but liked this floor plan better when we saw it. Check one out and see what you think

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

We love our 2019 Roo 235s! We camped two 10 day trips and 3 weekends since May and I just love it better each time. Only thing that consistently has issues is the DVD payer (iRV technology), but that is not a camper problem so much as a product issue.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #4

is your display dim on the Irv technology unit? ours seems like you have to be at a certain angle to be able to see the words on the display.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

It's an awesome layout.

My advice - Get the trifold couch. It gives you options when you camp. It opens to a full queen and if you wanted to do winter camping or late fall camping you can keep the tents closed and just sleep on the trifold right in front of the fireplace heater. Obviously, won't work like that with kids but I sometimes do solo trips or just take one kid. We do use the trifold couch as a 3rd bed on most trips even with all the tents out. My oldest son sleeps there. It's like having the Roo 233 with 3 beds. We know with my teenagers they will not be camping in our camper for very much longer, so the 235s will be great with all of us now and just my wife and I later once they are in their own tents.

I love the layout. It is wide open on the inside and the couch or armchairs are directly in front of the fireplace and tv. Great for relaxing.

I'm an "outside from first coffee to last beer" kinda camper. The outside kitchen is very nice. The larger fridge is great for beer and condiments! The last couple of trips we haven't taken a cooler. No need to do so. I really enjoy not buying ice or making it all the time. I usually buy one bag of ice for mixed drinks and keep it in my freezer.

Coming from a Jayco 19H the storage in the Roo is huge! So many cabinets and areas to put things. We haven't run out of room yet! This is our first year in it so I am still evaluating the things we take with us and what we actually use and need.

The shower and bathroom is tight but not an issue for us. It does what we need it to do and we do use the shower exclusively now. Love not having to use the public showers.

The only concern we have had is counter space. Not a big deal since we are outside camping types. I went the entire summer and never ate a meal inside the camper. The outside kitchen and having that big storage area outside perfectly aligns with how I like to camp. Very rarely do I ever stay inside the camper. However, the last trip I was on I did enjoy coffee, reading the news, and watching tv in the morning and the 235s has plenty of room to even have a small 4ftx2ft table in front of the couch which is perfect.

Here's our photo album from this year with the camper. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KVJ5491c5HdN6dx9
Previous:
2013 Jayco 19H /// 2012 Ford Flex factory tow package
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great information. We are strongly leaning towards the new 235S just not sure when we're going to pull the trigger on it.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennibc View Post
It's an awesome layout.

My advice - Get the trifold couch. It gives you options when you camp. It opens to a full queen and if you wanted to do winter camping or late fall camping you can keep the tents closed and just sleep on the trifold right in front of the fireplace heater. Obviously, won't work like that with kids but I sometimes do solo trips or just take one kid. We do use the trifold couch as a 3rd bed on most trips even with all the tents out. My oldest son sleeps there. It's like having the Roo 233 with 3 beds. We know with my teenagers they will not be camping in our camper for very much longer, so the 235s will be great with all of us now and just my wife and I later once they are in their own tents.

I love the layout. It is wide open on the inside and the couch or armchairs are directly in front of the fireplace and tv. Great for relaxing.

I'm an "outside from first coffee to last beer" kinda camper. The outside kitchen is very nice. The larger fridge is great for beer and condiments! The last couple of trips we haven't taken a cooler. No need to do so. I really enjoy not buying ice or making it all the time. I usually buy one bag of ice for mixed drinks and keep it in my freezer.

Coming from a Jayco 19H the storage in the Roo is huge! So many cabinets and areas to put things. We haven't run out of room yet! This is our first year in it so I am still evaluating the things we take with us and what we actually use and need.

The shower and bathroom is tight but not an issue for us. It does what we need it to do and we do use the shower exclusively now. Love not having to use the public showers.

The only concern we have had is counter space. Not a big deal since we are outside camping types. I went the entire summer and never ate a meal inside the camper. The outside kitchen and having that big storage area outside perfectly aligns with how I like to camp. Very rarely do I ever stay inside the camper. However, the last trip I was on I did enjoy coffee, reading the news, and watching tv in the morning and the 235s has plenty of room to even have a small 4ftx2ft table in front of the couch which is perfect.

Here's our photo album from this year with the camper. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KVJ5491c5HdN6dx9

Interested in your griddle/oven? Outside!! What brand is that?!
Travelcat2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennibc View Post
It's an awesome layout.

I appreciate you sharing pictures of your camper and some of the mods/use of space things that you took pictures of. While our 23BDS does not have the outside kitchen, we took our last trip without a cooler. I never realized how much easier that is! You got me thinking.

Just a note of caution: If you do travel with the dinette table up, it can move around. Friends of our did that and got some nice cents in the cabinetry.

Thanks again for sharing! Scott

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #9

One of my favorite lay outs but after looking closer, it does seem short on interior counter space. Everything is a trade off so I guess what you gain in dedicated seating and an outside kitchen, you loose in interior counter space...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

Bought our 2006 23SS in 2005 and haven't seen a floor plan yet I'd swap it for. The later 23SS were wider with more ceiling height but we don't miss either of those (much). U-shaped dinettes are a fraud; ours has the booth. Been paid-for since the day we picked it up.

Unless and until our 23SS is struck by a meteorite and disappears is a grey mist we won't be looking. Darn shame the floor plan has been discontinued.

-- Chuck
Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #11

Chuck, I know what you mean, we really like our 23ss. I was just looking at the newer ones and kind of like some of the upgrades. That being said, if I could replace the couch we currently have with some type or recliner I'd keep the old 2007 forever.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthorn View Post
Chuck, I know what you mean, we really like our 23ss. I was just looking at the newer ones and kind of like some of the upgrades. That being said, if I could replace the couch we currently have with some type or recliner I'd keep the old 2007 forever.
When there is a will there is a way. I think clearance for the slide mechanism would be the only challenge adding the recliner. Take a look at how it is done in the 235S. We bought our 2011 23ss in February and love it. We really like the counter space. I have not seen another one for sale near me since.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2017 View Post
Interested in your griddle/oven? Outside!! What brand is that?!
It's made by Camp Chef. It's the Pro60x model. AWESOME stove! The best part is that you can buy the big 2 burner which I have or they make an even larger 3 burner!

Camp Chef also makes a small and portable unit called the Versatop. The best thing about the versatop is that I can use all the accessories of my big stove (griddle, bbq, and pizza oven) on the versatop for use at home or just quick camping trips where I don't need a big stove.

The beauty of this is all the accessories are interchangeable from the big Pro60x stove to the Versatop.

Check out a quick collage I made on it to show how the parts are interchangeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_182419-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	218608  
Previous:
2013 Jayco 19H /// 2012 Ford Flex factory tow package
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote