Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #1

How to clean canvas

question: we have a Rockwood Roo (1st time camper owners) the canvas had mold so we cleaned it with the 303 mold and mildew cleaner. It left an ugly yellow stain, any suggestions on how to get rid of this?
slandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

We use Tilex... works great
Spoiled camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #3

First off let's clarify what we are talking about...

the tent end is made of vinyl, except for the 2 side ends which are more of a breathable canvas fabric, at least on my 2014 model.

The entire tent can and will mold, both inside and out, but the canvas part on the ends usually gets it the worst. I do often find black mold growing under the outside flaps that cover the zippers in the front window. I suspect because it stays damp under the flap.

Your cleaner may still do the job. I always use and recommend Mold Armor from Home Depot for about $5. It is in a lime green bottle and is labeled New and Improved. However, when I clean the canvas i thoroughly soak it from both sides. Be careful because the heavy bleach formula will ruin your clothes and any other cloth it touches, like sheets on the bed. I suspect that your yellow stain is left over fabric treatment from the factory. I usually wait for a sunny breezy day to do this to help dry the canvas. Mine always comes out snow white after being so black with mold, with no rinsing.

Once you clean and dry the canvas like this you will have to spray some water-resistant formula on the canvas, otherwise it will soak thru into your bed clothes when it rains. There are a number of different products I have used to do this, but none is better than another in my opinion.

I hope this helps...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

Sorry I was thinking the vinyl awning!
Spoiled camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

search for "cleaning awning"
I believe there have been 6 awning cleaning threads just this summer...

lots of suggestions from mold armor to Awesome cleaner from Dollar General,,, spray awning then roll it up to soak for a while before rinsing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote