Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #21
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I can't agree with that.
Our third outing with our previous X5/23IKSS combo was a 4400 miles loop from Indiana to Dever,CO, then to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and back.
Yes, we went up the IKE, got high cross winds in Utah and 105F in Las Vegas and the old X5 did it's job brilliantly.
I posted a summary of that trip in this forum when I came back, you can read more details there.

I don't know how the Traverse is set up but the reason I first asked if the QX60 have ESC and electronic sway control is because it really contributes to the stability of the rig.
Having more horses than my X5 and a camper that weights less than my previous 23IKSS his combo will be more capable.

I’m not saying that either my or the OP vehicle could not do it, i know that they could but I think it would be a hard drive. I have driven the QX line and X5 and obviously the traverse. The X5 is a beast to put it bluntly. QX is not bad either. The traverse has power and the torque as well but doesn’t feel like as much IMO as the other 2 mentioned. As far as stopping that is the real issue. Can you stop safely? I cannot compare as far as towing with the 3. I’m just saying that if his numbers hold true on his TV capacity he is much closer to the higher end than you are. I just feel that at least with my TV and TT mountain areas would not be a choice for me. I feel I would work my TV hard and being a mechanic I hate noises that all of a sudden pop up LOL.

As far as ESC you are talking about a sensor that has a certain range to follow. If you are relying on that for extra stability that is another issue at hand. That is intended for when the vehicle loses certain amount of control or “stability” then it acts to take driver inputs out of the equation like throttle and steering inputs and brakes to bring the car back to center. If you are having this kick in while towing your car is basically sayin I’m not centered and may be losing control. Not saying you are losing control but your vehicle may sense that. Just food for thought.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
I’m not saying that either my or the OP vehicle could not do it, i know that they could but I think it would be a hard drive. I have driven the QX line and X5 and obviously the traverse. The X5 is a beast to put it bluntly. QX is not bad either. The traverse has power and the torque as well but doesn’t feel like as much IMO as the other 2 mentioned. As far as stopping that is the real issue. Can you stop safely? I cannot compare as far as towing with the 3. I’m just saying that if his numbers hold true on his TV capacity he is much closer to the higher end than you are. I just feel that at least with my TV and TT mountain areas would not be a choice for me. I feel I would work my TV hard and being a mechanic I hate noises that all of a sudden pop up LOL.

As far as ESC you are talking about a sensor that has a certain range to follow. If you are relying on that for extra stability that is another issue at hand. That is intended for when the vehicle loses certain amount of control or “stability” then it acts to take driver inputs out of the equation like throttle and steering inputs and brakes to bring the car back to center. If you are having this kick in while towing your car is basically sayin I’m not centered and may be losing control. Not saying you are losing control but your vehicle may sense that. Just food for thought.
Tim
So far, I have not driven anything that could stop faster than my X5.
My current F150 and 2909WS will take way longer to stop than my X5/23IKSS would so I had to adapt my driving manners when I moved to the new/bigger rig.
As far as the ESC, in fact I was ref. to the Electronic Sway Control.
I do all the maintenance in my Bimmer, that is the reason I know the Electronic sway control works for the brake pads wear differently.
I never drove a QX60 but since is a "luxury SUV" I'm assuming it has everything the X5 has and some...
After 12K towing the Roo with the X5, we moved to a bigger camper and a truck but we still have the Bimmer and there is nothing on it that suggest that towing caused damage other than natural accelerated wear of brake pads and tires.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
So far, I have not driven anything that could stop faster than my X5.
My current F150 and 2909WS will take way longer to stop than my X5/23IKSS would so I had to adapt my driving manners when I moved to the new/bigger rig.
As far as the ESC, in fact I was ref. to the Electronic Sway Control.
I do all the maintenance in my Bimmer, that is the reason I know the Electronic sway control works for the brake pads wear differently.
I never drove a QX60 but since is a "luxury SUV" I'm assuming it has everything the X5 has and some...
After 12K towing the Roo with the X5, we moved to a bigger camper and a truck but we still have the Bimmer and there is nothing on it that suggest that towing caused damage other than natural accelerated wear of brake pads and tires.

I’m not doubting the X5. They are good vehicles. European cars tend to brake better than others. And not saying any damage would happen just that the ESC is designed for other purposes. But if it keeps your butt out of trouble [emoji106]. I’m all for it.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #24
Canadian Member

OP seemed to have made his decision in Post #13.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #25

Yes, indeed we have. We put a deposit down yesterday on a new HW277. We really wanted to the Roo, but I just don't get excited about being that close to the limits. If I could change out the TV, I would, but I can't. I appreciate everyone's advice.
kevinrross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrross View Post
Yes, indeed we have. We put a deposit down yesterday on a new HW277. We really wanted to the Roo, but I just don't get excited about being that close to the limits. If I could change out the TV, I would, but I can't. I appreciate everyone's advice.
Congratulations Kevin,
By the end, what matters is not what you HAVE but what you DO with what you have.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #27
Sham183

Congratulations! Have fun and enjoy.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #28

Two biggest things to worry about when towing assuming your at least close to being within the rated specs of the vehicle

1) stopping power going is much less likely to cause an accident that stopping
2) heat dissipation on the automatic transmission fluid. ATF especially non synthetic DOES not like to get hot. It will literally fall apart at the molecular level to the point it can no longer perform it proper function in the transmission leading to extreme wear. Before I towed anything heavier than a lawn mower I'd have a reputable shop change the filter and fluid and than maybe the fluid again. synthetic is best
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo