Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Is this normal?

Hello all,

We have a 2017 Rockwood Roo 233s. Is it normal that the factory "locks" us out of the water pump/filter area by screwing hinges down on both sides of the access door? Not a huge deal as $3.50 for a handle and latch plus 15-20 minutes time fixed it. I just thought it was silly that Forest River leaves the water filter for us to install but then locks us out of the cabinet. Notice 2 hinges on one side a another hinge on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_113516.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	139559  
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks a bit odd to me but you might want to wait for others to chime in.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Yes it is normal. Keeps you from cramming things in a cabinet that could break something inside.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Handyman

The "Rocket Scientist" that put the door on had 3 hinges and no latch.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, that's pretty dumb!

My guess at to "why" is maybe not all models have the water filter so they just seal all of the cabinets.

My Rocky also had the water filter (glass) but under in the storage area but I didn't like it so I removed it the recrimped new water hoses.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I took the single hinge off and put a magnetic cabinet catch on 2 of my cupboards, one for the under sink where the water filter and water pump, the other where the converter is and I put a PI-HW30C PMS.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmdgm View Post
The "Rocket Scientist" that put the door on had 3 hinges and no latch.
That's standard procedure for places that aren't supposed be "storage" areas. I have one under my bathroom sink that accesses the HWH bypass valves

Name:	IMG_20150620_180334_161.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	139560

and another under my slideout wardrobe that accesses the slideout controller.

Name:	Cabinet).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	139561

Since I only need to access the bypass valves 2x/yr, it doesn't bother me enough to install a knob. I've only opened the slideout controller one once, just to make sure I knew what was behind it.

Oh, my furnace cold air return is a similar door, but with steel mesh instead of a wood center. Don't need to access that one at all.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

Thanks all for the quick replies. So this isn't unusual even though screwing down a door that you need semi regular access for maintenance is still silly. A better solution is to put a label on the door frame under the door that reads "Not For Storage". Since I opened it up and placed a knob and latch on it, I think this is what I will do, even though I am pretty much the one who oversees storage on this Roo.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Pretty normal.
At least they put hinges on.
On older Roos, the WH/Water pump cabinet had a access door with 2 screws in it. I had to add hinges to make it easily accessible.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Yes it is normal. Keeps you from cramming things in a cabinet that could break something inside.
X2......I have several in my ROO.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

On the 2018 Roo 19 the water heater bypass and other valves are in the front of the camper and accessed by an exterior door. You open the exterior door and there is a board screwed down directly behind it.

People blame forest river for being lazy, but idiot customers around the world who want a cheap camper have led us down this path.....don't forget that.
jonshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Handyman

Putting 3 hinges on instead of just putting in a couple of screws to hold the panel on is neither lazy nor cheap. AND If people living pay check to pay check that want a reasonable priced camper so they can spend time with their kids/grandkid or just get away from stress are idiots, count me in.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmdgm View Post
Putting 3 hinges on instead of just putting in a couple of screws to hold the panel on is neither lazy nor cheap. AND If people living pay check to pay check that want a reasonable priced camper so they can spend time with their kids/grandkid or just get away from stress are idiots, count me in.

The idiots I am referring to are the ones who cannot understand that they cannot pack their flammable belongings next to a water heater or furnace. The idiots I am referring to blame manufacturers when they cannot read a warning label, or simply remove it because it is ugly...then blame the manufacturer when they get hurt.

They easiest and cheapest thing for Forest River to do from a legal and assembly standpoint is to simply screw the access shut. That way they know if it was ever accessed, the liability is 100% on the customer.

If consumers wanted to pay a few thousand more for a camper, they would spend the time and money to utilize the space. But it's all about price, so they cut corners to satisfy legal and assembly constraints and meet a price point. Instead of Forrest River adding their time and material to utilize space, I now have to take time away from my family to do so. I don't mind it, because I enjoy mods and upgrades. But it really seems like they are being really lazy.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

People blame forest river for being lazy, but idiot customers around the world who want a cheap camper have led us down this path.....don't forget that.
BS.....A manufacture hypothetically could be selling a $25,000 camper all day long without any complaints or issues from consumers. That same manufacture would still look for ways to cut costs to maximize their profit.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
BS.....A manufacture hypothetically could be selling a $25,000 camper all day long without any complaints or issues from consumers. That same manufacture would still look for ways to cut costs to maximize their profit.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Not if Jayco was selling basically the same camper for thousands less because they cut corners and reduced legal costs and liability insurance.

Just think of all the time saved on warning labels, placing labels in correct areas, messing up the placement and application of the labels, having to write them in 4 languages, legal fees associated with approving verbiage on labels...etc.

Much easier to place the burden and liability on the customer. If they want to access this area, they are going to have to work for it. If they want the extra storage, they are going to have to work for it.

95% of people could care less about the wasted space and probably pay to have their rigs winterized. We are just the the 1% who know the truth....man!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Not if Jayco was selling basically the same camper for thousands less because they cut corners and reduced legal costs and liability insurance.

Just think of all the time saved on warning labels, placing labels in correct areas, messing up the placement and application of the labels, having to write them in 4 languages, legal fees associated with approving verbiage on labels...etc.

Much easier to place the burden and liability on the customer. If they want to access this area, they are going to have to work for it. If they want the extra storage, they are going to have to work for it.

95% of people could care less about the wasted space and probably pay to have their rigs winterized. We are just the the 1% who know the truth....man!
The labels are there for the same reason your McDonalds coffee cup says "HOT.". Because unscrupulous lawyers will bring frivolous lawsuits, and idiot juries will award them outrageous damages.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:

The idiots I am referring to are the ones who cannot understand that they cannot pack their flammable belongings next to a water heater or furnace. The idiots I am referring to blame manufacturers when they cannot read a warning label, or simply remove it because it is ugly...then blame the manufacturer when they get hurt.

They easiest and cheapest thing for Forest River to do from a legal and assembly standpoint is to simply screw the access shut. That way they know if it was ever accessed, the liability is 100% on the customer.

If consumers wanted to pay a few thousand more for a camper, they would spend the time and money to utilize the space. But it's all about price, so they cut corners to satisfy legal and assembly constraints and meet a price point. Instead of Forrest River adding their time and material to utilize space, I now have to take time away from my family to do so. I don't mind it, because I enjoy mods and upgrades. But it really seems like they are being really lazy.
The door under my bathroom sink was closed off like what is being discussed.

That being said I don't think FR put the 3 hinges on the door to keep me out because that is where the water filter is along with the valve to switch the water pump from sucking water from the fresh water tank to the antifreeze port for winterizing.

The handle was already there so I went to my local hardware store and got the catch for a cabinet door since I knew I would be in there at least twice a season.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #19

well, I'm not one of the idiots, but I did venture into the "forbidden zones", .... but I know what I'm doing and how to do it, ... I wanted storage space in that one and got it, .... I removed the pin on the third hinge and replaced it with a bent wire similar to an Allen wrench, ... now access behind that door is as easy as pulling my bent wire and opening the door, ......

did the same on all three "forbidden zones" in my 25KS, they aren't places I need to get to very often, but don't want to have to remove screws and a hinge when I do need to get there, ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0248.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	139807  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:39 AM   #20

This thread is a good one.

So they had extra cabinet doors that fit and extra hinges so they used them. Our 2017 23WS has a solid access panel at the WH that matches the vented ones under the slide and furnace, all installed with screws. None of it is about liability it's about what they had that was fastest and cheapest at the time. The same go's for baffles in storage and such they use to seperate off the corner for a run of Romex. If it was about liability they would use more than a piece of scrap 1/8" held in place on one side with a pine strip and two screws.

Perhaps all these areas should be secured with keys only available to certified dealers lol.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote