Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Just booked our first trip!

The KOA by our house is running a buy 1 night get 1 free Mother's Day Weekend. We jumped at the chance and will be going with my parents (very experienced campers) and my sister's family. We figure a full hookup will be perfect for us to practice pump out and everything. Now we will just keep our fingers crossed that it will be done before then. Estimated delivery is April 16th.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
The KOA by our house is running a buy 1 night get 1 free Mother's Day Weekend. We jumped at the chance and will be going with my parents (very experienced campers) and my sister's family. We figure a full hookup will be perfect for us to practice pump out and everything. Now we will just keep our fingers crossed that it will be done before then. Estimated delivery is April 16th.
Your family will love the Port Huron KOA. We go there three times a year. a lot of things to do for kids. Bring bikes...a great park for bikes. Lake Port state park is also vary nice.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Your family will love the Port Huron KOA. We go there three times a year. a lot of things to do for kids. Bring bikes...a great park for bikes. Lake Port state park is also vary nice.

We do like lakeport, we actually were there Mother's Day last year, it was a beautiful weekend too. I'm hoping it will be to same, but who knows with the winter we've had this year.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

Our first trip is also scheduled for Mothers Day Weekend. Heading out to Frankenmuth (yummy Zehnders!!!). Hope you have a great trip! Can't wait to hear the details.
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

kkapa, Were going to try this park in the summer. It looks nice ........( Lighthouse Park )

Huron County Parks - Lighthouse
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
kkapa, Were going to try this park in the summer. It looks nice ........( Lighthouse Park )

Huron County Parks - Lighthouse

I know where that is. My inlaws have a cabin 1/4 mile from Oak Beach on the water. The thumb is so nice because it's so close and the water gets pretty warm in the summer for swimming. Make sure you hit up Moore's Ice Cream in Marlette on the way up and on the way back.

I forgot to add that Oak Beach Pantry makes great pizza. They are just a little slow making it, but it's totally worth the wait.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephs2125 View Post
Our first trip is also scheduled for Mothers Day Weekend. Heading out to Frankenmuth (yummy Zehnders!!!). Hope you have a great trip! Can't wait to hear the details.

You will totally have to update too. Let's just pray for good weather. I also wanted to tell you about how much better I feel about Viccars. They just kind of made me uneasy when we signed our papers, but my husband had a chat with Vicki and now things are a lot better. I also talked to RV Wholesalers today and they quoted me 3000 MORE for our camper even before taxes and fees then we paid at Viccars. I feel soooo much better about our purchase.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Please note, While the KOA's advertise this as a free night it is really a fund raiser. I suppose if you chose to ignore that fact it would be a free night
It is their KOA Care fund raiser that they have been doing for nine years now. Their hope is that you donate the cost of that second night plus more to the fundraiser. We have participated in the past and it was a fun weekend, advertising is a little questionable to me.

No matter ENJOY that first weekend in your new camper and have a beer for me.

This is from the KOA site:
About KOA Care Camps

KOA Care Camps is a group of 43 specialized summer camps located throughout North America that provide a true summer camp experience for children with cancer and their siblings. Each year, Kampgrounds of America and its local KOA owners raise funds through camper donations to support these very special camps and deserving children.

During Come Camp & Care With Us Weekend May 11-12, participating KOAs will offer campers the ability to donate to KOA Care Camps through several special, fun events and activities - or feel free to drop your donation directly into one of the handy collection stations you’ll see in the KOA Camp Stores.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #9

I checked on a KOA that we've stayed before with the "free" night. All they did was double their normal price! A donation to a worthy cause is one thing but call it what it is.
Have fun on your first outing.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
(Kim)

I have heard good things about the Port Huron camping areas, but have never been there myself.
It is very close to us; about an hour away, so I will love to hear how your trip goes

Enjoy!!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
You will totally have to update too. Let's just pray for good weather. I also wanted to tell you about how much better I feel about Viccars. They just kind of made me uneasy when we signed our papers, but my husband had a chat with Vicki and now things are a lot better. I also talked to RV Wholesalers today and they quoted me 3000 MORE for our camper even before taxes and fees then we paid at Viccars. I feel soooo much better about our purchase.
Funny, RVW was high for me too...everyone said they would be so much cheaper and they were also nearly 3K high....I did find cheaper at Terrytown in GrandRapids (about 1500 less) but they were 3.5 hours away...didn't want to drive all that way for warranty work.
If you don't know already you can buy a 2nd year MANUFACTURERS warranty from Forest River for $150. Everyone on this forum pretty much agree's it is a total no brainer - YES!....Vicars did not tell me about it. I had to ask. I think I got a really good price from Vicars, I managed to get them to include & install the Husky Centerline hitch w/ sway control (801 - 1200) and the Voyager brake controller for $500 (they originally quoted me over 1000) so I feel I made out OK there...I've googled others and they sell upwards of $600 for the WDH and about $100 for the controller (not including installation).
I think whenever I spend this kind of money on a purchase I always feel a bit nervous and worry myself to death until I have it "in hand" and realize I made too much out of it !

Fingers crossed for good weather!
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Please note, While the KOA's advertise this as a free night it is really a fund raiser. I suppose if you chose to ignore that fact it would be a free night
It is their KOA Care fund raiser that they have been doing for nine years now. Their hope is that you donate the cost of that second night plus more to the fundraiser. We have participated in the past and it was a fun weekend, advertising is a little questionable to me.

No matter ENJOY that first weekend in your new camper and have a beer for me.

This is from the KOA site:
About KOA Care Camps

KOA Care Camps is a group of 43 specialized summer camps located throughout North America that provide a true summer camp experience for children with cancer and their siblings. Each year, Kampgrounds of America and its local KOA owners raise funds through camper donations to support these very special camps and deserving children.

During Come Camp & Care With Us Weekend May 11-12, participating KOAs will offer campers the ability to donate to KOA Care Camps through several special, fun events and activities - or feel free to drop your donation directly into one of the handy collection stations you’ll see in the KOA Camp Stores.

I had no idea it's for a fundraiser. I saw them mention it when I was booking, but I thought part of the campground was reserved for a that fundraiser event. You would think they would put that when you check out. I suppose they do collections that weekend? They was no where to pay more then what the one night costs when I booked.