Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
So if I understand you correctly I should just shut up and let you (and others who haven't experienced a failure) continue to tell everyone how these filters are bound to fail? Based solely on hearsay?

Whatever.
Just tell us how many threads are necessary before it's no longer hearsay.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Just tell us how many threads are necessary before it's no longer hearsay.
Can you tell me how many of those threads related to a filter that "just broke" or they failed because they were over-tightened, froze the last winter because someone forgot to empty, etc?

Something that also seems to be overlooked is that the filter in question has been re-designed and the original "ratchet type" is no longer being installed. My 2018 came with an entirely different base and canister but still uses the KW-1 cartridge.

New style:

Old style Canister:

FWIW, it's hearsay unless someone is telling the story first person.

Biggest issue that I glean from "FW-1 Threads" is that the housings are mounted in hard to access areas (no issue there) and the filter cartridge is more expensive than a cheap inline Camco filter from Walmart. (you get what you pay for).

I just take issue with posts made by people who haven't had the problem but will go to great lengths to tell the world that the FR-1 Filter is going to break or leak, again repeating what they read or heard.

FWIW, lost in the noise are the posts by those who say they've never had a problem with theirs. A common industry statistic, only one in ten people will actually leave a good review on a product they use so it would logically extend that 90 percent of those who are not having these filters magically break or leak all on their own are remaining silent.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #23

Well, don't get us started on china bombs!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #24

I had the KW1 filter and although mine never leaked it was terrible to remove the cannister. Even though it was close to the door of the pass through I had to be a contortionist to get around to remove it. they tightened it so much at the dealership that I had to clean out the pass through and go inside the pass through to get it off. (very small pass through - I was on my belly in there) I switched to a filter and cannister that sits in a bucket outside of the tt. It goes in the shower when we travel. I'm sure the KW1 filters are fine but I like it so much better now, it's much easier to access, I can choose what type filter I want in my cannister, and its so much easier to change the filter. To each his own.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #25
Winn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The FR1 gets a bad rap because folks don't understand how the canister works.

It doesn't have the traditional "thread it on until tight" interface between the canister and the housing.

The canister has 'teeth' that need to be disengaged by pushing the canister UP BEFORE unscrewing. (after relieving water pressure) Once back on and the arrows aligned, the canister needs to be set by pulling down on the canister.

Folks don't understand this and wind up shearing off the teeth using the wrench and then the canister will loosen (from pressure) and blow off. This isn't the canister's or the filter housing's fault.
Thank you so much. I have tried everything to get this off. Had no idea that you push up and then turn. Thank you thank you thank you.
winn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, water, water filter