Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
Roo Crew

Leak modification for Roo bunk doors

Some context:

I've seen a few posts on this, so I was wary that we would run into the same issue. We have a 2020 Rockwood Roo 235s. We bought it at the end of the season, brand new, and have yet to camp in it. I've opened the bunks a few times to show friends and family the inside. The bunks have also seen some heavy rain while open, without issue. But, I just opened up the unit this past weekend and found some water inside the bunk area. It was a small amount, along with some water staining on the mattress. SO, it seems water is indeed finding it's a way inside. I plan on bringing it to the dealer and having them look at it, but for now, I made a simple mod. It does have me wondering if they were fully dry when I closed them up. I thought they were, and that was six weeks ago.

Like others that have posted about this issue, I suspect the problem is with the seal/channel on the exposed hybrid bunk design. Maybe the locking arms are not tight enough; maybe the seal has some weak spots? Either way, I needed a solution that would stop the problem quickly.

The modification:

I ended up having a perfectly colored, cheap garden hose. I was able to cut it down the middle and use it to cap the exposed channel on the closed bunk doors. I cut the hose on the back bunk a bit longer, to ensure there was clear runoff, probably should have done that on the front as well. I'm really happy with how it turned out and didn't require doing anything to the trailer. I don't plan to drive with them on, but I will travel with them as back up. In a perfect world, the dealer will find the issue, but for now, this is my solution. I hope this is helpful.

Also...

Do you think I should remove the modification, run a hose over the channels and do my own testing (looking for the issue) before towing it to the dealer, hours away?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	221141   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	221142   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	221143   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	221146   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	221147  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	221148  
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” — Shedd
billskenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #2

I would definitely look into the leak myself if I were you... It might be something simple like a latch adjustment to bring the bunk door tighter to the seal which you can fix yourself and save a trip to the dealer... Just close a dollar bill between the seal and the bunk door, latch the door and see if the seal fits tight against it..

The other usual culprit is the seal corners on the top right or left, the top seal should overlap the side seals and should not look like this... If it does then you'll probably have to go to the dealer and have them install a new seal...

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roo bunk seal.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	221149  
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 AM   #3

Unless the tent materials have changed from my 2014, the outside zip window is the same vinyl that the tent is... the sides are canvas, not vinyl and can leak in standing water... ( I do spray fabric water-proofing spray on them 2X a year) mostly to help in an all-night rain so my pillows do not soak water thru the canvas fabric

as long as the tent windows are zipped closed, any water that finds a way past the door seals will usually lay on the vinyl tent top and/or on the zipped closed outer window and should just sit there harmlessly... I have found as much as a cup or two of water waiting for me when the door is opened and it usually just drains harmlessly when the tent is deployed. It seems to only happen on the front bunk. Once during a hard rain while traveling, when I opened at camp that afternoon, well there was some water also.

Your hose idea is good, but I think you might only be needed for long term storage where you may get some real hard rain on occasion. I have on a couple of long storage periods used 3 inch wide blue painters tape lapping over from above the door to the door ends... kept everything dry, and was easily peeled off to deploy the tent.

Pre-2014 the tent ends and doors were designed differently and the water entry on those doors was much worse... the frequency of tent end water intrusion posts have dropped dramatically in the last 4-5 years.

There are at least two threads that document HOW TO fine-tune the clamping pressure on the seals... don't over-tighten and crush the rubber seals.

Dealers are a pain and you will be much better off to deal with this intermittant issue yourself.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Ben f

Hi there. I like the mod for storage. I’m almost positive that you just need to turn the clamps 2 turns tighter. Mine was brand new and always had standing water in the bunk bed when closed. I adjusted mine and have never had a drop again. Also make sure your zippers are all together on the top of the windows so when it closes it will be elevated and if water does get it it won’t get into your camper when folded up. Hope this helps!

Adjusting clamping pressure on new style bunkend clamps
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #5

Awesome and simple/easy storage mod there BillsKenney and I too with my 233S had seals on the upper corners just like Gerry Z (njfishing) showed and just like rsdata discussed and mostly my water would shed off as soon as I opened the bed. I love the link benf shared and will keep your solution and his link in my notes for our NEW 235S we get 2 days from now.

Bit the bullet with the kids grown and gone never really needing the third bed of the 233S and made the mistake of "visiting" the new models one too many times! It was the 2nd to the last day of the year that got our local dealer working a price on both our trade and the new unit we just could not walk away from.

THANKS all of you posters so far on this thread for sharing your thoughts as they are excellent solutions for things that we have been "nursing along" ever since we bought our first ROO, I look forward to experimenting with your ideas on our next one.

Happy New Year all!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

It could also be an issue of having a flap or something else slightly in the way of the seal. A good tip when closing the tents is to close all doors and windows and zip up tents. Then turn on the super vent fans on high. It will create suction and help when closing the tent ends and ensure they don't interfere with the seals.

One other issue I had awhile back was having crammed sleeping bags in-between the back tent and the bathroom wall (On a Jayco 19H). The sleeping bags pushed out just enough to cause the seal to leak a bit during a rain storm while driving on a trip.

For all the things Rockwood does extremely well, a simple track/rain gutter to direct water away from the tent ends would make a world of difference. My Jayco had very nice aluminum rain guards above the tent ends.
Previous:
2013 Jayco 19H /// 2012 Ford Flex factory tow package
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennibc View Post
For all the things Rockwood does extremely well, a simple track/rain gutter to direct water away from the tent ends would make a world of difference. My Jayco had very nice aluminum rain guards above the tent ends.

Truth!! Seems like a simple no brainer to me.... Probably some stubborn engineer who thinks they don’t need it because of his or her superior design

In fairness, the bunk designs have greatly improved from the old design and a lot fewer issues/leaks then before....
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Truth!! Seems like a simple no brainer to me.... Probably some stubborn engineer who thinks they don’t need it because of his or her superior design

In fairness, the bunk designs have greatly improved from the old design and a lot fewer issues/leaks then before....
Don't blame the engineers - blame the bean-counters.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

New Too 235S

Thank you everyone for sharing. We bought a 2019 235S and have had multiple episodes of water. It only seems to be the front bunk, one time the mattress got wet and there was an ice puddle on the floor. Took it back to the dealer and they said they could not mimic it. They ended up replacing the seal anyways, and I found water (ice) today. It isn't every time it rains. I am going to try the hose trick and maybe tighten them as well. v
Patchessfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #10

Latch adjustment for bunk ends

I have net seen a post in a long timewith instructions on tightening the lock for those bunks doors... BUT here is one from 2016...
warning do NOT overtighten

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ns-120521.html

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchessfd View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing. We bought a 2019 235S and have had multiple episodes of water. It only seems to be the front bunk, one time the mattress got wet and there was an ice puddle on the floor. Took it back to the dealer and they said they could not mimic it. They ended up replacing the seal anyways, and I found water (ice) today. It isn't every time it rains. I am going to try the hose trick and maybe tighten them as well. v
Like others have said, try the latch tightening. We had the same issue with our 235 after we bought it. After finding out about the latch tightening procedure here if I get any water at all, I may have a very small amount pooled in the top of the canvas. And that is usually after a long, heavy nights rain. I haven't noticed any on the rear bunk.

I do think that I am going to do a rain diversion modification like this just as an added measure.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #12

I think it is important to wipe the bunk door sealing edges before closing up. I also wipe the gasket at least once a year with this to help keep the gasket material soft... I also wipe the vinyl bunks X2 a year
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #13

I do not have a pic handy. I added beige J channel above the bunk as extra means of directing water away from the top seal.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
I do not have a pic handy. I added beige J channel above the bunk as extra means of directing water away from the top seal.
May i ask where you bought it. I’m thinking adding something like this would be a good idea.
Johnnynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #15

I also have the same issue on my 2020 235s on the rear bed end only. What I Found was it’s leaking from the seal. You have to open the bed end and stand on the canvas. You will see where the gasket is attached to the frame has a foam backing to it. Personally I think this a bad design. My fix I ran a bead of silicone straight across it. So far so it’s been fine. Haven’t had any heavy rain to give a good soaking. It. Did pass the hose test.
Camperlifedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:28 AM   #16

the vinyl J-channel I bought at either Lowes or Home Depot. It is beige the is very close to the color of the trailer. 2 pieces.

I used a good double sided tape (same source). With the bunks closed I set the channel on top of the bunk and attached it there. I then sealed top of the channel to the trailer with clear caulk, because thats how i roll. I'll add a picture later if i don't forget again.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #17

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	228483
Old 05-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #18

I ran silicone straight across the top of the gasket.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #19
CanRoo

Morning, We had the same issue on our 2014 Roo 233S. Purchased the J trim from a local roofing company and used the 3 M tape from the autobody shop used for adhering trim. The roofing company was able to cut to length and since then have not had an issue
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170701_135956.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	228500  
Pkostiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperlifedad View Post
I ran silicone straight across the top of the gasket.
NEVER use silicone on a camper, just don't. Plenty of camper specific products that work much better.

Tags
bunk, cat, door, leak, roo