Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #1

Leak on bunk seam

Hi, we got to our campsite today in some heavy rain and found our front mattress wet on the bottom. Finally traced it to a seam on the front right. We only picked up our Roo in May and it had spent a long time on the lot with the ends open, so I’m pretty sure it’s all seasoned. Should we throw some wax on the seam from the outside or something for than that? Thanks for any help!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3250ECF6-2E7D-467F-A655-EE6DCC83EEAC.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	278024   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D3D7031-1CA9-44E3-BAE0-144D594479E4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	278025  
chlschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #2

There's actually stuff called tent seam sealer. Just Google it and you'll be presented with dozens if not hundreds of sealers better than wax.

Tentage is not designed nor intended to be left open for expended periods of time as when not camping.

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #3

Holy crap batman!!

Are you actually camping in OUR rig?? !!! ;-)

We have the EXACT same issue on our 2020 ROO 235S. I used the seam sealer Chuck mentioned but apparently I did not use enough as during our camp last week in RAINY Western NC the water leak persisted! Funny enough during the actually heavy rain I pulled everything away and could watch what looked like an eye-dropper squeeze that just kept going and going!!

Once home I used that seam sealer again this time liberally AND on both the inside AND outside but I won't know until another camp run if it worked or not. You can find this product VERY cheaply at Walmart in the camping section.

I love the idea of wax (I never even thought of that) during our actual camp I dried the outside seam and used Duct Tape on the outside of the tent as a temporary patch and that held. Sadly once home I had to use Goo-B-Gone to get the sticky yuck from the tape off the tent end.... I cleaned after that with alcohol, sprayed the Teflon tent waterproofing (3M stuff) on just to be sure and when all that was dry i hit that heavy coat of seam sealer. Hoping that does the trick as that leak is rather annoying that you have!

Best of luck, if you discover a permanent fix that works PLEASE post back! We should have another trip in late Sep/early Oct (hopefully NO rain) and if it gets wet outside and that fix stays dry I'll post back to let ya' know.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #4

P.S.

IF you are camping and that spot continues to leak, we found that while not ideal, stuffing a large towel into that corner and changing it as needed at least allowed the towel to catch all the wet and NOT our mattress or bedding

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
Old 08-20-2022, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
IF you are camping and that spot continues to leak, we found that while not ideal, stuffing a large towel into that corner and changing it as needed at least allowed the towel to catch all the wet and NOT our mattress or bedding
another camper once posted saying they put in towels on bunk end to catch tent leaks, but did not change them out causing a large wood rot problem where the wet towel laid for TOO LONG on hot summer days... beware

maybe liberal seam sealer on the outside, and wax on the inside, followed by duct tape on the inside would do the trick???

I have sprayed a product called Star-Brite on the canvas sides and on the thread seams with good luck...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #6

ME TOO!... ;-)

That spray is what I used on the canvas ends as well and YES we changed our towel twice a day during the rains until our camping was done and we packed for leaving.... then we took it and the mattress out entirely until we got home and could fan and dry everything really well.

That is when I returned with a MUCH heavier application of the seam sealer (and NO towels anymore) and now.... (not that i'm wishing for a rainy camp) we wait until the next time it rains while we are camping and see if that worked or not! FINGERS CROSSED it did!

2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
Old 09-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #7

So far we haven’t touched the seams with sealer after talking to the dealer. They want it in to do a water test since it’s still under warranty. Hopefully that won’t take them too long. We have some Gekko covers we’ll throw over the top to protect from anymore heavy rains in the meantime.
chlschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, leak