Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Leaky side window on bunk end of Roo 183

Ok, I was doing regular maintancence and clean up on the inside of our roo. One or our bunk ends had some mold on the side window, just a few spots nothing major on the inside. I decided to just use warm water and dawn soap. The end result was now when it gets wet, water from the outside soaks right through. It's like it lost all of its water repellency. I tried a heavy dose of scotch guard ( which I've used on all of the beds for protection before and it works well) and it didn't work at all. I've ordered some Canvak canvas treatment to brush on to gain back some water repellancy. The Canvak canvas treatment is made for cotton canvas which is what the side windows of the bunks are. The front window of the bunks are vynal coated. Why cotton canvas? I'm not sure maybe to make it more breathable?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. So far this is the only problem my wife and I have come across accept for the tent seasoning in the beginning and our unit is 4 years old.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

Has anyone used Canvak Canvas Treatment before?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

I have not used that. However, when I did have my popup, I did waterproof it about every 8-12 months with silicone spray. It seemed to work very well. It is the same stuff as is used on tents. Our popup was mostly vinyl, but did have cloth around the zippers. We rarely had any leaks using this method. If it did leak, it was time for another application of the spray.

How To Waterproof Your Tent With A Silicone Based Product

Apply liberally.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

I've used both Canvak and 303 Protectant on my old pup up.

The Canvack stunk for quite a while. I will never use it again!

The 303 worked better, and the smell went away in a couple days. Just got a new to me Roo 183 and treated the side canvas window panels with 303.

When I apply, I get a clean paint brush, soak the canvas with a sprayer, and work it into the canvas with the brush.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #5

I posted this awhile back...

Quote:
cleaning the canvas does destroy the water-repellent character of the fabric...

I typically clean it with the Home Armor 2X Mold Spray and that stuff is quite harsh, but gets the canvas back to white.

I use the 303 Fabric Guard spray once or twice a year, (lightly) on both sides of the canvas, and of course some gets on the zipper and this will make both just about impervious to water leakage... at least it has for me. I hate having to sleep in an overnight rain and feeling damp canvas near my pillow. The waterproofing spray does not allow that to happen.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, leak, roo, window