RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Lippert Chassis Forest River Rockwood Roo 23WS

I'm set to purchase a very nice 2016 Forest River Rockwood Roo 23WS. One of the things I noticed is that it has a Lippert Chassis. I've read on this and other forums to stay away from any trailer that has a Lippert frame. Do all Roo's have Lippert frames? What models of trailers do not have these frames? Are all trailers that have these frames bad?

I have read quite a bit of contrary information about this issue, none of it good, but it's so difficult to make an informed purchase decision. Is there something I can inspect that would help determine if this is an issue for this trailer?

Am I reading too much into this?
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #2

Most of the TT and fifth wheels ride on Lippert frames.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
I'm set to purchase a very nice 2016 Forest River Rockwood Roo 23WS. One of the things I noticed is that it has a Lippert Chassis. I've read on this and other forums to stay away from any trailer that has a Lippert frame. Do all Roo's have Lippert frames? What models of trailers do not have these frames? Are all trailers that have these frames bad?

I have read quite a bit of contrary information about this issue, none of it good, but it's so difficult to make an informed purchase decision. Is there something I can inspect that would help determine if this is an issue for this trailer?

Am I reading too much into this?
Yes, all Roos/Shamrocks have Lippert chassis. As was said, the vast majority of RVs have Lippert chassis.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #4

What are the issues you are concerned about with the Lippert frames?

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
What are the issues you are concerned about with the Lippert frames?
I'm not sure. I've seen quite a few pictures of trailers where the shackles have torn away from the frame and also where slide outs have had sealing issues where the frame was not aligned or true.

I have no idea if this was a result of the user driving the trailer forty miles an hour up a curb or someone backed into a tree? There might be a reasonable explanation. I've also heard that there was a "recall" of these frames, whatever a recall means.

If the majority of TT manufacturers are using Lippert frames then whatever my concerns, they're probably not well founded. I would like to know what to look for to determine if the frame on the trailer has any issues that will cause me grief. Is there an attachment point where cracking occurs etc..
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #6

Of all of the issues brought up on this forum about our RV's I do not remember reading any about the frames.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

A few issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Of all of the issues brought up on this forum about our RV's I do not remember reading any about the frames.
I've read a few issues on the forums, not a lot.

Manual welding (no robots) is as much an art as it is a skill. We hear about occasional quality issues. If Lippert is contacted, it seems like we always hear that they took responsibility for the repair.

There have been a few cases where shackles tore off. There is a HUGE sideways shear if you try to turn a two- or three-axle trailer with the tow vehicle at 90 degrees. You are literally pulling or pushing the wheels along the axle's axis; that is, straight sideways.

In all the cases I've read about, if Lippert was contacted, they either sent a repairman from the factory to accomplish repairs and add strengthening or authorized full payment for local repair, regardless of vehicle age.

There are some component manufacturers (Furrion electronics comes to mind) that don't have a good reputation, but Lippert doesn't seem to be one of them.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
In all the cases I've read about, if Lippert was contacted, they either sent a repairman from the factory to accomplish repairs and add strengthening or authorized full payment for local repair, regardless of vehicle age.
Having been part of the frame failure club, I've been in contact with probably a dozen different people who have had some kind of frame failure. From the frame itself to the shackles to a variety of other things.

I'd say that Lippert is probably 60/40 to taking responsibility and helping vs. not.

It happens and when you're nearly the sole provider of frames, you're going to have issues from time to time.

As for looking out, just be mindful of rust and look for signs of tears along the frame. I was good about inspecting my suspension but never really knew/thought to look at the frame itself.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #9

We Have A Roo

We have a 2017 Roo 23WS. We have been very satisfied with our travel trailer. No problems with frame or any other major systems. Havenít taken any long trips, but lots of short camping trips, 2-4 hours from home. Will however be taking it to Florida in April. ( Lord willing)
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

Our Roo 23SS is a 2006 model built in May 2005 so it's gonna have a Sweet 16 birthday party Memorial Day weekend.

No frame damage.

But I level the camper with blocks under the tires and the tongue jack, not twisting the frame with leveling jacks or jackstands.

-- Chuck
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

Last year I had the connecting tube that connects the drive side of the slide out to the other side so that they both drive the slide out equally break due to a poor weld. Had one heck of a time manually, with a crescent wrench, getting the slide out back in. I contacted Lippert and they were very helpful. They also sent replacement parts which I was able to replace in about 15 minutes. Check the tubes and make sure that both the inner and outer tubes have no welds on them, if they do I would ask that it be replaced with tubes that have no welds.

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo