Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Sophomore Campers

Looking at buying a used Roo...

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a used 19' Roo from a private party. It'll be our first camper, so I was hoping someone could have tips for things to look for and answer some questions.

I've looked at it twice today already, and it's very clean and appears to be well kept. I didn't see it all opened up, yet.

The Roo has a GVWR of 4590 lbs. I have a 2013 4WD Ford Explorer w/ the tow package, so it has a max tow rating of 5000 lbs. My region is quite flat and I don't plan on going into any mountains ever, so I think that this is right in the sweet spot of where I'd like to be in terms of size.

Ford has a nice towing guide I've been looking at that basically says that the sum of everything in or towed by the explorer must be less than the Gross Combination Weight Rating.

The GCWR is 10,160 lbs
The curb weight of the explorer is 4,697.
The GVWR of the is 4590 lbs

Assuming we maxed out the camper, that leaves 873 lbs of passenger & cargo weight in the TV itself.

There's 4 of us (2 kids 7 & 11). Combined, we're probably around 520 lbs. However, the kids will grow & get heavier. Hopefully my wife & I will not get heavier. I could see us getting up to 650 lbs to 700 lbs when they reach later teenage years - assuming we're still doing this then or haven't upgraded to a vehicle that provides more capacity.

That leaves 353 lbs of cargo. I don't know what we would carry as cargo in the TV that would add up to 353 lbs.

I figure we can save a few hundred pounds by towing with empty water tanks. We're new to this and don't expect we're going to go off somewhere that would require us to be completely self sufficient.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate it and look forward to any guidance anyone would have.

Thanks!
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

I'm sure you'll hear from more experienced members, but I have the same Explorer, and the sales person I worked with recommended that I didn't get that close to the GVWR. Of course, I do live in Colorado, so that may have been a big reason! I'm curious to hear what others say...
joinco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #3

I had a 2012 Roo 19. First summer I pulled it with a Chevy Traverse rated for 5200 lbs towing. I figure the Roo weighed about 4000 lbs wet. Just the wife and I. I wasn't a happy camper. The V-6, 6-speed ran in 4th gear at ~3100 rpm at 60 mph. Any little incline would drop it into 3rd gear. It would rarely go into 5th. This was in the relatively flat midwest. If you have a V-8 in your Explorer, you may be better off, but who knows?

I bought a Silverado after that first year and I was a LOT happier. Even moved up to a Mini-Lite.

When you get to inspect the Roo 19 with the ends open, look very carefully for any signs of leakage around the doors. MOST (mine included) do not have leakage problems, but there are some folks who have had significant issues. If there's any signs of leakage, walk away.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Check whether or not you need a weight distribution hitch, (i am guessing you do) and that adds about another 100 lbs to the cargo weight of the explorer.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

I second the weight distribution hitch if you try this. I would be very nervous that close to the weight limit with or without the weight distribution system. You'll add more cargo then you think you will ....

2016 Roo 21DK

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SEHilton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Did a little research. You have about 1500 lbs cargo capacity. 500 lbs family. Probably 500 lbs loaded tongue weight. Get a weight distribution hitch and you should be fine.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Sophomore Campers

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I had a 2012 Roo 19. First summer I pulled it with a Chevy Traverse rated for 5200 lbs towing. I figure the Roo weighed about 4000 lbs wet. Just the wife and I. I wasn't a happy camper. The V-6, 6-speed ran in 4th gear at ~3100 rpm at 60 mph. Any little incline would drop it into 3rd gear. It would rarely go into 5th. This was in the relatively flat midwest. If you have a V-8 in your Explorer, you may be better off, but who knows?

I bought a Silverado after that first year and I was a LOT happier. Even moved up to a Mini-Lite.

When you get to inspect the Roo 19 with the ends open, look very carefully for any signs of leakage around the doors. MOST (mine included) do not have leakage problems, but there are some folks who have had significant issues. If there's any signs of leakage, walk away.
Unfortunately the current gen explorers don't offer a v8. I'm in Illinois, so it's pretty flat around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Check whether or not you need a weight distribution hitch, (i am guessing you do) and that adds about another 100 lbs to the cargo weight of the explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehiton79 View Post
I second the weight distribution hitch if you try this. I would be very nervous that close to the weight limit with or without the weight distribution system. You'll add more cargo then you think you will ....

2016 Roo 21DK

That's something that was nice about this deal, it came with everything including a WDH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Did a little research. You have about 1500 lbs cargo capacity. 500 lbs family. Probably 500 lbs loaded tongue weight. Get a weight distribution hitch and you should be fine.
Thanks. Will have to decide what I want to do. My wife is due for a new car anyway. I could pay cash for the camper, have less for a down on a truck, but car interest rates a much lower than an rv interest rates.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

We have this setup - 2009 Roo 19 and 2011 Explorer with V6 and tow package. It will work, but you have to drive slow at times. We live in the mountains of British Columbia. I would have no concerns about this setup in the flatter areas around Illinois. .... watch for delamination in the Roo front bunk.

6wate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

I bought mine used. I had the seller meet me at a reputable service place and they inspected it top to bottom for me. I paid for the inspection, and the seller committed to fixing anything the dealer found - or adjust the price. Just make sure the inspection is done by a detail person that will document the inspection thoroughly.

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7
fedrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #10

And I will shoot from the hip - Ford Explorer ain't going to cut it. Just cutting it too close weight wise.

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7
Old 04-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

I pulled a Roo 19 with a Trailblazer in Illinois and it was fine. The only issue I had was driving into a headwind. Tough to go 65.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

Frim a power perspective an Explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost would be more than sufficient I would think. Don't know if it adds to the actual towing capacity though.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #13

Just checked. Adds slightly to the GCWR, but not to allowable trailer weight capacity.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

Looking myself and the only thing I've heard negative was bad roofs on earlier models. Forget the years maybe 07 and older?
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

I have a shamrock 19, and the only problem I have had is the roof seams, where I had to rechaulk them, other than that no problem, I towed it with an 04 sport trax, v-6, I just found the truck a little to small, she would rev at 4000 rpm when I was going up a hill, in the mountains, and I had a hard time seeing behind me even with the extended mirrors
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

you did not say what year the Roo was... I think 2012 and earlier had two latches, one on each side of the bunk about 6 foot high. THese I believe are a little more prone to leakage. The water pools near the hinge area and causes big problems on the bunk and possible delamination under the hinge area on the body. Look for wavy fiberglass under the hinge and above the hinge which indicates water damage. 2013 and newer have a handle about 5 foot above the ground on each side that controls both a high and a low latch that keeps the bunk ends a bit better sealed from rain water intrusion. Those are also easier to reach for vertically challenged.

Crawl underneath and inspect the chassis for rust. Also ask for proof that the tires are no more than 3-4 years old. No matter how good they look, almost everyone will tell you to replace tires every 5 years whether they look good or not. A flat while towing is never any fun and tires dry rot well before the tread shows sign of wear. But also look for even tread wear on all tires... uneven tread wear might indicate a frame problem.

Use a flashlight and look in every cupboard and cabinet and outside lid for mice nests and possible water damage... look for black mold indicating water problems.

Most important is to look at the roof. Crawl around on your hands and knees and check for loose or missing caulk where rain water could infiltrate the rook area.

As far as towing, ( I have a nearly identical 183) I would not plan a trip to the Rockies, but I think you will be fine for a 3-4 hour trip anywhere in your neck of the woods. Worst case condition would be to spend $250 and install a set of air bags which will help manage the tongue weight.

Good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a used 19' Roo from a private party. It'll be our first camper, so I was hoping someone could have tips for things to look for and answer some questions.

I've looked at it twice today already, and it's very clean and appears to be well kept. I didn't see it all opened up, yet.

The Roo has a GVWR of 4590 lbs. I have a 2013 4WD Ford Explorer w/ the tow package, so it has a max tow rating of 5000 lbs. My region is quite flat and I don't plan on going into any mountains ever, so I think that this is right in the sweet spot of where I'd like to be in terms of size.

Ford has a nice towing guide I've been looking at that basically says that the sum of everything in or towed by the explorer must be less than the Gross Combination Weight Rating.

The GCWR is 10,160 lbs
The curb weight of the explorer is 4,697.
The GVWR of the is 4590 lbs

Assuming we maxed out the camper, that leaves 873 lbs of passenger & cargo weight in the TV itself.

There's 4 of us (2 kids 7 & 11). Combined, we're probably around 520 lbs. However, the kids will grow & get heavier. Hopefully my wife & I will not get heavier. I could see us getting up to 650 lbs to 700 lbs when they reach later teenage years - assuming we're still doing this then or haven't upgraded to a vehicle that provides more capacity.

That leaves 353 lbs of cargo. I don't know what we would carry as cargo in the TV that would add up to 353 lbs.

I figure we can save a few hundred pounds by towing with empty water tanks. We're new to this and don't expect we're going to go off somewhere that would require us to be completely self sufficient.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate it and look forward to any guidance anyone would have.

Thanks!
I'll make this very brief. Don't do it. You are already too close to the max weight and I guarantee you that you will start packing things, particularly for the kids, that combined will overload you, especially as they get older.

And you'll more likely than not find that there are things you'd like to take but can't.

Just don't.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #18

More power to you. I have a tow package on my Tundra, and there are still challenges...

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #19

Soft bed bunks are water damage just replaced mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460925649461.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	105236  
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
Looking myself and the only thing I've heard negative was bad roofs on earlier models. Forget the years maybe 07 and older?
Roo/Shamrock hybrids had no more roof issues, than any other hybrid.

In fact, Jayco hybrids had a way worse bad roof rep, back when they used a felt-backed roof material. Tons of warranty claims.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo