Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #1

Low Point Drain(s) ?

Good morning everyone. This past weekend we unfortunately needed to winterize the Shamrock due to freezing temperatures up here in Pennsylvania. Doing so on our new 2021.5 Shamrock 21SS seemed to be pretty straight forward, almost too easy! Haha. My only hiccup in doing the winterization process is I'm being told there should be two, low point drains, while my camper appears to only have one? Was something changed for this model year or are the Shamrock/Roos different that most other campers in this respect? Any insight is appreciated.

tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #2

The Georgetown 378 only has one low point drain (the water heater isolation valves will allow both cold and hot lines to drain through the single valve) so not unusual. Someone with your type unit will chime in.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

I'd be surprised if there was only a single low point drain. My Shamrock has 3 drains "under" the camper. Hot and cold "low point" drains and the fresh water tank drain. The low point drain location is marked with a sticker on the side of the camper. Are you sure you are not confusing the fresh tank drain with a low point drain?
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I'd be surprised if there was only a single low point drain. My Shamrock has 3 drains "under" the camper. Hot and cold "low point" drains and the fresh water tank drain. The low point drain location is marked with a sticker on the side of the camper. Are you sure you are not confusing the fresh tank drain with a low point drain?
Nope, no confusion over the fresh tank drain valve, I obviously do have that drain valve as well but I was talking specifically about the "low point" drains with the screw on caps in reference to winterizing. The low point drain in reference is marked with a sticker that indicates "low point drain" on the side of the camper but instead of having two (hot/cold) there's only one single one drain.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

These are the drains you are looking for. Mine were set pretty far back under the camper. Maybe yours are also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_150613.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	265459  
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( previous )
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
I'm being told there should be two, low point drains, while my camper appears to only have one?
A little search (offsite) and I'm seeing a lot of traffic for 21SS (Shamrock and Roo) people looking for their low point drains. Anecdotally, it appears that this particular model drains are hard to find with rather low amount of line exposed for outlets.

Look below sofa and/or hot water tank, towards rear. Should be stubbed in, with caps on their ends (older models actually had internally mounted valves; later models - like your 2021.5 - are almost certainly terminated with caps).

The low point drains won't look anything like the fresh water tank dump valve and, instead, will look like two pieces of PEX water line (one red, one blue), terminated into threaded ends, with gray or black caps screwed onto their ends. You need to manually remove these caps, and blow or drain some antifreeze down their length.

Attached are a couple of photos of a 21SS's stubbed low point drains.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	265460   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	265461  
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
A little search (offsite) and I'm seeing a lot of traffic for 21SS (Shamrock and Roo) people looking for their low point drains. Anecdotally, it appears that this particular model drains are hard to find with rather low amount of line exposed for outlets.

Look below sofa and/or hot water tank, towards rear. Should be stubbed in, with caps on their ends (older models actually had internally mounted valves; later models - like your 2021.5 - are almost certainly terminated with caps).

The low point drains won't look anything like the fresh water tank dump valve and, instead, will look like two pieces of PEX water line (one red, one blue), terminated into threaded ends, with gray or black caps screwed onto their ends. You need to manually remove these caps, and blow or drain some antifreeze down their length.

Hope this helps!
Yep - that's what mine looks like except it is a white line with the white (or grey.... can't remember off the top of my head) cap, I do not have two (blue/red) I only have 1 line. Also, the entire underneath of my camper is covered/closed in with a thick black fabric/foil on the inside, so it's not like I'm missing something peeking through... The only things visible from the outside bottom of this covering are this drain line with a cap (on the front side of the camper, marked with a sticker "low point drain"), the standard black/grey lines, and then the fresh tank valve way up front. I'm wondering if Flagstaff/Rockwood had made a change and now only have 1 low point drain rather than the 2?

For other context, I noticed my hot water tank set up only has two valves for winterizing (I'm used to having 3) so maybe this set up aids in reasoning why I only have 1 low point drain rather than 2? (Again, not discussing the fresh tank drain in this discussion...)

Old 11-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Yep - that's what mine looks like except it is a white line with the white (or grey.... can't remember off the top of my head) cap, I do not have two (blue/red) I only have 1 line.

The entire underneath of the camper is covered/closed in so it's not like I'm missing the second one on other side or something either... The only things visible from the outside bottom of this covering are this drain line with a cap, the black/grey lines, and then the fresh tank valve way up front. I'm wondering if Flagstaff/Rockwood had made a change and now only have 1 low point drain rather than the 2?

For other context, I noticed my hot water tank set up only has two valves for winterizing (I'm used to having 3) so maybe this set up aids in reasoning why I only have 1 low point drain rather than 2? (Again, not discussing the fresh tank drain in this discussion...)
Not sure, pal. My TT is a 2021.5 235S, with a fully enclosed underbelly, and still have the 2 stubbed low point drains, as well as the single fresh water tank dump.

For what it's worth, my hot water tank also has the two valve system for winterizing (not the old 3-valve H configuration). As the Hot water tank has it's own bypass and dump (via the anode port), I'd think your low point drain(s) are unrelated to the 2-valve hot water heater setup.

Perhaps look above the single port for INTERNAL valves, both going to a single, uncapped discharge port?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #9

I'd also expect to have 2 drains. You may need to cut into the underbelly to see what is going on above where you have the one drain.
FWIW, after loosing one of the caps in some long grass and spending 5 minutes searching for it, I replaced the caps with screw on PVC ball valves.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

put brass lever valves on those drains , so easy to drain . if far under trailer position them to your likeing and mold a pvc pipe to fit, so you dont have to crawl under trailer to open valves.
Thomas ho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

winterize

I don't have a shamrock, but I have never drained the low point drains.
Its been 6 years and very cold temps sometimes below 0 in St Louis--never had an issue. I winterize, just don't touch low point drains.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
Its been 6 years and very cold temps sometimes below 0 in St Louis

**Waves** to another STL buddy
Old 11-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #13

Replaced threaded plugs with these 1/4 turn valves.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FA7A5E57-4B14-4A66-999A-D011226FF229.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	265473  
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

Name:	IMG_6017.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	265474

This is mine
2011 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #15

My low two (2) point drain valves are under the sofa inside my Roo 23SS. One for hot one for cold. Easy to find by looking under the trailer -- the valves are inside immediately above the little drain pipes protruding thru the floor. Same for finding the freshwater drain.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
The low point drain in reference is marked with a sticker that indicates "low point drain" on the side of the camper but instead of having two (hot/cold) there's only one single one drain.
Strange setup. I suppose I could see the hot and cold being terminated together, but you'd still need to valve them (like the single black and gray tank dumps come together to a single discharge point, but are individually valved). Seems somehow WRONG.

But, to investigate, I'd get back into the trailer, and look above the single low point drain for two valves with lines coming together into a T-fixture.

And then get back to us, cause this is a headscratcher for sure.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #17

On my 2017 Shamrock 21ss there are two low point drains located just to the rear of the tires on the door side.

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Strange setup. I suppose I could see the hot and cold being terminated together, but you'd still need to valve them (like the single black and gray tank dumps come together to a single discharge point, but are individually valved). Seems somehow WRONG.

But, to investigate, I'd get back into the trailer, and look above the single low point drain for two valves with lines coming together into a T-fixture.

And then get back to us, cause this is a headscratcher for sure.
See post #2.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
See post #2.
Lol. Georgetown 378? See post #1. It’s a hybrid, mate. Your rig is nothing like the new 21SS the OP referenced.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #20

We have a 2021 Rockwood Roo 21ss, the exact same thing. We do have the 2 low point drains. I can’t imagine anything with yours being different unless it was an assembly error. Hopefully you locate the second one!
UrbanLogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain