Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #1

MOD-adding an additional baggage door to Shamrock/Roo

I have a 183 Shamrock Hybrid... it came with a 16" baggage door on the left rear, which allowed some storage space on that side in the rear of the trailer. I typically keep the electrical cords and water hose back there... it seemed that if I had long enough arms I could have used the right side of this storage space also. Lacking the ability to grow longer arms, I instead decided to try my hand at installing another baggage door on the right side.

I ordered an identical 16" baggage door from RV Parts Nation... link below

RV Baggage Doors

After some time, I received my baggage door, but put it aside until the weather cooled. This weekend I tackled the project. I should have taken pictures, but I didn't. However I will describe what I did if any have interest in doing this mod.

1. I measured the position of the baggage door on the left in reference to where it was from the left side and the bottom of the rear section.

2. I used masking tape and masked off a larger area on the right side, to mirror image the left.

3. I then held up the new baggage door to the masked area, and drew an outline of the door on the tape. I used more masking tape to hold the door in position while I did this, although a helper could have worked better.

4. I remeasured just to make sure I was at the right spot. I also looked thru the existing door into the area on the right to make sure there were no wires or water lines running where I was about to cut.

5. I drilled a 5/16" hole as a starting point for a jig saw. I then jig sawed on the outside of the outline I drew with a Sharpie pen. The wall thickness is nearly two inches so I used a 4" narrow jig saw blade, about 12 tooth per inch on the saw blade... I did not want to splinter the fiberglass and this did a great job cutting.

6. The Sharpie line on the masking tape was easy to follow and the masking tape on the surface of the fiberglass prevented any marring of the fiberglass from the base of the saw.

7. The cutout section fell away and I was left with a nice smooth hole to mount the new baggage door. I used a 2x4 block and some 80 grit sandpaper to smooth the edge where the cut line met with the drilled hole.

8. After a test fit, I used some caulk around the new door frame and inserted it into the cutout hole. I used a couple of C-clamps in the door opening to put some pressure on the door while the caulk setup.

9. I then went to the hardware store to purchase some white screws to screw in the frame just as they did at the factory. I needed qty 6, inch long coarse thread screws screwed into pre-drilled holes into the frame (just sightly larger than the screw diameter), stopping just short of penetrating the exterior wall. I lightly screwed the screws into the wall, then backed them out and dabbed some caulk in the hole and re-screwed them in. You can not be too aggressive screwing these in as you are only going into fiberglass backed by 1/4" luan plywood then Styrofoam.

A catalog picture of the door I purchased is below.

This was a fairly easy job taking less than an hour to accomplish. The hardest part was measuring for accuracy. If you cut your new door opening just outside of the Sharpie line you draw using the new baggage door as a template, you can obtain a nice tight fit for the new door frame in the hole you just cut.

On the inside of the new storage area, I zip tied tied up some electrical wires and connections to the back wall, and encased the plastic water pipes running on the floor in that rear area with foam pipe insulation you buy in 6 foot sections at the hardware store, just to give the pipes some small protection from anything rubbing on them while in transit.

One thing I quickly noticed, is that with both doors open there is much more available light in there to see where things are.

If anyone needs further description or details that I can help with, feel free to PM me.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #2

Nice Mod, I have a 3d mind so I can easily picture what you did from your text but if would have taken a bunch of pics you would have had a super post! But thanks of sharing!
Keep on Modding!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Ive come across this mod on a couple of other threads. Id love to be able to access all the dead space behind my shower but I cant seem to find a door to match the oyster colored fiberglass.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

I do have one pic of this MOD

here is the finished product of the baggage door mod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backdoor.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	122684  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Nice. I've been thinking of doing this to my 21SS, as there is a long narrow space at the back behind the rear bunk. I'm a bit nervous though, as there are several water and electric lines running in that space.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm a bit nervous though, as there are several water and electric lines running in that space.
The water and power lines in mine were laying on the floor, and the water lines on the floor went vertical toward the front to the bathroom; well out of the way... which I did verify by looking into that area with a flashlight.

They were never in the way when I was cutting as the baggage door is mounted about 2 inches above the floor, and I used a short 2 1/2" saw blade, with 1 1/4 of those inches taken up by wall panel thickness... I just went out and verified these thicknesses with a tape measure. These numbers ARE DIFFERENT then my original write up when I was just guesstimating...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Excellent write-up! I understood exactly what you did without even seeing the pictures.

P.S. Pictures during the process would have been nice, but I understand. When you're in a project, you don't think to take pictures until it's over.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Hi Finster,
I know what you mean about all the dead space. If you're trying to match
the oyster paint color try taking the nearest cargo door off. Take it down
to Home Depot & get them to do a color match. Make sure you specify for metal. Another choice. You're 6 hours drive from Goshen, IN where
most of the trailers are built. Next year take a camping trip down that way.
Check out White Pigeon, Michigan (5 miles north of the Indiana border.
There's at least 3 companies that buy old or damaged trailers & scrap them. Then they sell the parts. You can get just about anything if you're patient. Might find the perfect door. Might even get the right color!
There might be a closer scrapper in Iowa. You'll have to ask around.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
23ss ROOster

Nice job. If I can ask, how much did the new door cost? I may do this mod on my 23ss.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

I would like to do that to mine where the storage runs across the front. Why they do not do that on the Gray Wolf beats me. The area on the that side is not being utilized very well because it is such a PITA to get to it. I would like to move the batteries in there along with an inverter.

So my question is, did you add any additional wood framing to the beef it up?

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
If I can ask, how much did the new door cost? I may do this mod on my 23ss.
It was $120+ as I recall with shipping. The website link I provided shows prices/options for various sizes.

Quote:
So my question is, did you add any additional wood framing to the beef it up?
The floor was the same as the floor in the trailer... just a partition wall framing cabinetry to the two rear beds separated the storage area from the inside. I added nothing to the inside wall to hold the frame. The 1.25 inch thick wall is plenty sufficient.

I will not be storing anything real heavy back there. If I were to put batteries back there, I might use a 2x8 piece of lumber longer then the batteries, then put in plastic battery boxes on top of the lumber to hold any acid that might spill in some unknown event.

The actually cutting of the panel, while daunting was actually very easy, once I was sure of my measurements and that there was nothing behind the panel that I might cut accidentally.

thanks for everyone's positive comments...

funny that there is another current thread about paying people to do work on TV and trailers... I like to do as much as I can, but the older I get the less patience I have doing these things...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

I really like your mod!..I'm going to do that one, I just have to find the matching oyster colour. I wonder if you can order it direct from the manufacturer. Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Canoe Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Boondocking Only

Very well done & this will be my next mod. Thx for sharing
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, roo, shamrock