Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Mods and Organization

I know that most of us new 233s owners, don't physically have them, but what mods are you planning on doing? Also curious to where everyone is going to store their clothing. Since I don't have it yet, I'm trying to go based on my pictures without measurements.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

Hocky,
We found the one drawback to the Roo is clothes storage. Storage in a TT or a boat is always a premium for sure. We use these "car camper" slumber jack bags on top of the mattresses to add some softness and insulation. Those always stay in the camper. They are bulky will take up a fair amount storage under the dinette and or sofa.

Clothes storage is another matter. We often just camp out of large duffles or small suitcases during the trip. I dont recall if you a seasoned camper or not, but we have it down to a science. If we are in the Keys or the beach, we basically live out of our baithing suits and then bring a few shorts, a shirt for every day and so forth. If we are at the lake, we may bring some extra clothes and so forth for the mountains.

I am going to try to modify the small closet- wardrobe and add some shelves to it. I dont hang much, but could use the space for towels. Towels are a premium when camping and we bring 2 to 3 per person for a week at the lake or the beach/Keys, then maybe 1 towel per person just boondocking in the mountains.

Bottomline we try to have 1 large duffle or suitcase per person max and in the kids bunk, they will be at their feet. The overhead storage could be used possibly...we will see.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

Do you know the size of the wardrobe by the bathroom? I have these and they can be use verticle. I have TONS of them and thinking if the wardrobe is big enough, I'd use them this way for clothing. But I don't have the roo yet and can't find detailed measurements online.

Depending on the length of stay, we take clothes for everyday. In the summer, shorts and short sleeve shirts and zip up jacket and 1 pair of pants for the entire stay for cool days/evenings. If we go for longer than 4 days, I take enough clothes for 3/4 days and wash mid-week.
Previously:
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Have you ever thought of using a space bag? Once you get where your going they won't be as nice but on the way for packing it would be nice to just put it in a huge vacuum tight zip lock bag.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

I've used those, but wasn't impressed.
Previously:
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

We picked up our 2011 roo 233s ~2 weeks ago. We have already done a few mods based on what we have learned from our experiences (10 years in a tent and 11 in a popup). First mod was battery cut off.

BTW the wardrobes are ~12” wide (taller one is a tight 12” while the shorter one is a generous 12.” Instead of adding shelves in either, we purchased (2) 12” wide canvas closet organizers that hang from the closet pole. This allows the wardrobes to be easily converted for other uses if needed. In the tall wardrobe, we added a 2nd closet pole about 4’ high to hang the organizer. The higher, factory closet pole is used to hang toiletry bags (each person has the same style, different color bag with a hook) this keeps them out of the way when not in use. When needed, they can be pulled out and hung on an over-the-door hook in the bathroom. We added a 3-position, over-the-door hook on the bathroom door (facing the kitchen) for towels/hoodies. We also added (2) towel racks behind the toilet. We added hooks on the dinette side of the fridge to hang jackets/hoodies.

We added a 3’x12” wire closet shelf in the pantry below the side bunk (left side, we left the right side as is for taller item storage). We purchased several dishpan-sized bins (12”x19”?) @ target to use as storage modules. Over the sofa is dish storage. Miscellaneous items and games are in small black bins above the dinette. The black bins (also target) are stackable and also fit well in the tall pantry for spices and such. We do most of cooking outside, so the bins work great to take back and forth. Also make winter storage simpler. Utensils and measuring cups are in the dinette drawer.

We plan on using the shelf over the side bunk for towel storage. We have all the inside items (bunk lites, mattress controls, table lamp) under the left dinette seat behind the drawer in bins. We will be using the duffle bag system also.

Mods in progress include installation of “quickie flush” in black water tank, new locks on the outside storage doors, screen door bar handle, undercarriage sewer hose/fitting storage, removable storage under the front bunk, winterizing valve for the pump, digital thermostat, additional AC outlets,……not to mention the PUX bunk end covers that are on order.

Our biggest challenge so far is where to mount the TP holder!!! Hope to have sum pics in the coming weeks. We have 4 trips planned this season, so I sure things will change along the way…..

Hopefully some thoughts here that can help you get started on personalizing your new TT. BTW…check out the videos on the RVwholesalers website (5 or 6 part Roo orientation video) as there were several things covered there that the dealer did not cover.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Jakearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

I'd love to see pictures!

And please forgive me, I don't understand the battery cut off. I just picked up our manual and haven't been able to read it completely yet. Our walkthrough is on the 19th when we pick it up.
Previously:
Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #8

Jakeroo:
When you are done, come on over to my house next week and start working on ours! You, dah man..

Although, a word to the wise...your brand new Roo is covered by a factory warranty which covers the electrical system. It seems to me, and I could be wrong here, that installing a battery cut off switch is one thing, but adding additional AC outlets and or circuits could be pushing it when it comes to the warranty.

I like the closet organize idea, the Admiral really wants me to install shelves in the back wardrobe, this is a better solution to me as the organizer carrys the load and not the veneered thin plywood of the wardrobe.

We have our kids toiletries organized like you do as well. Keeps the shower time going well. I would like to see pics of the bathroom area. As I recall there is not alot of space there to begin with. We might have to add some handicap grab bars or something in there for our son, but I am concerned about the sturctural integrity of the walls to carry a load like this.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Hi Smoky;

Excellent point on the AC outlet additions....I will consult with FR before I proceed. I wanted to add an outlet on the other side of the small wardrobe near the top (extend the one under the front bunk) to plug in a small lamp and clock......the current position of the outlet under the bunk will make cord management a pain. I will see if I can come up with a less intrusive means to manage the cords. Again, thanks for the heads up!

On the bathroom, that will interesting as we have never camped with one...so I am not sure how much it will be used.....I have only added the towel racks in there until we have a few trips under our belts. There appear to be studs in the walls around the edges of the surround, but I would be concerned about adding grab bars also......maybe FR can help with advice?

The closet organizers look like the will do the trick for us. It allows me to use the tall wardrobe for other things during travel (small outdoor stove table, outdoor chairs, rake,...). As I indicated, I will try to get some pics posted in a few weeks.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Jakearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

jakeroo,

We really have never used the shower/tub in our last TT and honestly we do not expect to use this one much either. The toilet on the other hand on a cold camping night or any late night need by my kids or us is very nice to have.

Please post pics...

Maybe, use an outdoor extension chord with multiple outlets on the end like used for Christmas lights in the yard for the chord management...the thought and placement of the outlet seems could have been better there?