Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #1

Mount-n-lock safety strutsa for rear bumper

I tried searching but didn't find this, forgive me if its been asked. We purchased a Predator generator. We don't have a pickup, we use an Excursion as out TV. Its hard getting our generator (100 lb) in and out of the back of the Ex. Not to mention the gas fumes. I'd love to install a rack off the back bumpoer, but I know the welds aren't very robust. Did anyone install these? Supposedly they will support 400 lbs, and prevent bouncing. This should be enough for our genny plus fuel.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #2

I have them on my 233S. put them on after I tore the bumper welds. I have about 200lbs worth of bikes on the bumper and haven't had any issue so far. I did have the bumper welded back on and an extra plate welded on the top of bumper where the original welds started to tear. I haven't seen any twisting of the bumper as some people have mentioned on this forum in the past.
technicalspectical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

I both the GennyGo platform and Safety Struts on the back of my MicroLite. Has been packing my Champion 3500 watt Inverter/Generator around for some time now.

Nice and solid and no signs of any issues. Absolutely no signs of stress around the welds that usually shows up as flaking paint first (as the metal stretches).

I even added a Gen-Turi air cooled exhaust "stack" so I can run the generator on the platform without having any exhaust gases entering the TT or in the area under the awning. Works great and all fits in it's own bag when traveling.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #4

Good to know! Where did you get that Gen-turi? I'd like to run it from theplatform as well. Usually we don't use the back bunk, so I wonder if we'd have an issue with exhaust entering.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Good to know! Where did you get that Gen-turi? I'd like to run it from theplatform as well. Usually we don't use the back bunk, so I wonder if we'd have an issue with exhaust entering.
With the GenTuri I don't think exhaust would be a problem. First the exhaust is greatly diluted at the "Venturi" where it enters the black vertical tube. It's then discharged above the trailer roof where there is usually enough air movement to further dilute and carry away.

Where to get? I got mine on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-44461...s%2C237&sr=8-1

A note on the GenTuri. You will need an exhaust flange adapter or similar depending on your generator (Search Amazon, that's where I got the adapter for my Champion). The smallest exhaust adapter that comes with the kit is still too large for the adapter. I made a sleeve from coupler designed for rigid electrical conduit. It was barely small enough to be pressed into the smalllest adapter using a vise as a press. Need to first mount the flange or exhust adapter on the generator, then screw the coupler on TIGHT. Then line up adapter so holes for attachment pin so they are vertical and hold next to the coupler attached to the generator. Make an index line along the top of the coupler and on the Genturi Adapter. Remove the coupler from the threaded exhaust adapter and using the line to index adapter to coupler, press the coupler into the adapter until almost flush with the end.

Now when the adapter is screwed onto the flange adapter it should be snug and properly aligned to just slip the Genturi in place then secure with the hitch pin.

I took two pieces of 1X2, couple carriage bolts, wing nuts, and washers to build a support bracket I could quickly attach to the ladder rails. Two finishing nails in the wood so I could attach the rubber straps that support the main weight of the Genturi and keep it vertical.

While the generator is running on the platform no more noise is heard inside than that of an A/C unit running.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

I have mounted the Mount n Lock struts a number of years ago. I have both a bike rack on one side and an aluminum HF basket on the other where I carry my 35# firepit and outdoor folded up carpet on the other side. Both the bike, and basket and contents together weigh about 120#. I have had no adverse effects on the bumper. I also have a hybrid with a rear bunk. I do keep the weight as close to the bumper as possible to minimize the twisting torque on the bumper. I think the combination of the GennyGo platform with the Mount n Lock struts will do the job and is the way I would go given your situation.

Although I am not sure how a Gen-turi would attach on a hybrid without a ladder on the back. When I use my smaller HF genny I take it to the rear of my camper and point the exhaust away from the camper and have no problem with fumes.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:27 AM   #7

Mount-n-Lock struts

I just put these on yesterday, on my 2109S MiniLite, so I can't say anything to their long term use but I do have an installation tip or two. Lower your jacks if they aren't already. If you can, either get a bit extender or a very long bit to drill the final holes. I didn't and it required a bit of "persuasion" to line things up. They suggest a clamp to hold the strut in place while determining where to drill the holes, a six inch clamp won't do, or maybe it will if it's the squeeze variety. I only had the screw type available and oh the language. Another elbow, for me, would have been nice but, you know.... LockTite everything and you should be good.

I only carry a spare tire and a couple of bikes and haven't had any issues of my own but I'm cautious, as others are, about the bumper.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #8

Just ordered the safety struts and the 2" receiver. I really like the way these guys build stuff! Like others, I can find no bad reviews and these seem very well engineered. Looking forward to getting them here and getting them installed!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
I just put these on yesterday, on my 2109S MiniLite, so I can't say anything to their long term use but I do have an installation tip or two. Lower your jacks if they aren't already. If you can, either get a bit extender or a very long bit to drill the final holes. I didn't and it required a bit of "persuasion" to line things up. They suggest a clamp to hold the strut in place while determining where to drill the holes, a six inch clamp won't do, or maybe it will if it's the squeeze variety. I only had the screw type available and oh the language. Another elbow, for me, would have been nice but, you know.... LockTite everything and you should be good.

I only carry a spare tire and a couple of bikes and haven't had any issues of my own but I'm cautious, as others are, about the bumper.
To drill the holes in my frame I borrowed a 90 degree drill motor from my Son.

My kit came with self-tap bolts and serrated nuts to make sure the bolts didn't come loose. Definitely felt the struts were secure when I was done.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have mounted the Mount n Lock struts a number of years ago. I have both a bike rack on one side and an aluminum HF basket on the other where I carry my 35# firepit and outdoor folded up carpet on the other side. Both the bike, and basket and contents together weigh about 120#. I have had no adverse effects on the bumper. I also have a hybrid with a rear bunk. I do keep the weight as close to the bumper as possible to minimize the twisting torque on the bumper. I think the combination of the GennyGo platform with the Mount n Lock struts will do the job and is the way I would go given your situation.

Although I am not sure how a Gen-turi would attach on a hybrid without a ladder on the back. When I use my smaller HF genny I take it to the rear of my camper and point the exhaust away from the camper and have no problem with fumes.

Agreed, the ladder is pretty much required for a setup like this. One could also just add the exhaust flange adapter and then use a length of flex pipe to route the exhaust farther away from the RV without having to lift on or off at each stop.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Saw a guy at a campground who had the safety struts but the seam of the 4" square tube let go. He had a small generator on the back. I would never mount anything to the bumper unless I actually also changed out the bumper itself to a thicker gauge. That along with a better mount to the frame. I would likely design and weld up my own mount that went across the frame and up to the center of the bumper itself.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #12

I put the SafeTstruts on my 5er bumper and now carry the spare tire (on there originally) plus 2-30 pound bikes. Seems to be working great for that amount of weight.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Saw a guy at a campground who had the safety struts but the seam of the 4" square tube let go. He had a small generator on the back. I would never mount anything to the bumper unless I actually also changed out the bumper itself to a thicker gauge. That along with a better mount to the frame. I would likely design and weld up my own mount that went across the frame and up to the center of the bumper itself.
I don't see the seam letting go and dropping the generator if using the GennyGo platform. It's mounting struts encircle the square bumper and place the load on all sides of the bumper, as well as holding it square. Not just in one place but two about 18" apart.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't see the seam letting go and dropping the generator if using the GennyGo platform..
That's exactly what he was using.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #15

Forehead SMACK!

TitanMike, Now why didn't I think of that.

Drill motor, haven't heard that in a while....
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
TitanMike, Now why didn't I think of that.

Drill motor, haven't heard that in a while....
I give my Son a bad time on that all the time. He'll say "hand me the drill" and i just give him the bit.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
I don't see the seam letting go and dropping the generator if using the GennyGo platform..
Quote:
Quote:
had the safety struts but the seam of the 4" square tube let go. He had a small generator on the back
Quote:
failed split bumper with Gennygo
pics?

[t didn't happen unless you have pictures)

Did it happen to you?

OLD FISHING SAYING... substitute you didn't catch it FOR didn't happen

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
pics?

Did it happen to you?

OLD FISHING SAYING... substitute you didn't catch it FOR didn't happen
I wouldn't say it didn't happen necessarily, I'm just not seeing it.

I've gotten out my pad and drawn a cross section of the tube with the Mount and Lock brackets in place.

Using my 1960's physic's and trying to calculate all the force vectors the only way I see the seam in the tube failing is if it a) wasn't properly welded in the factory; b) rusted through from the inside due to all the water from the dump hose.

Pretty much the way I see it all forces are actually placing more compression on the seam.

Then again, I can only go by my experience with my bumper. It's not the "tin bumper" I always read about on these forums and is welded in place by what appears to be a very competent welder.

I think the main issue with adding extra load on the rear bumper get's lost in the noise. Yes, bumpers can be damaged by several means like welding a hitch to them in the center. Even a clamp on hitch for bike rack, centered on the bumper could do damage as all the load is focused in one spot.

The bigger issue is the frame itself. Speaking or my TT alone, it has a welded I-Beam frame which is far lighter than an I-beam or Channel rolled in a Steel Mill.

Adding a lot of weight, no matter how well supported at the rear bumper, could cause the frame to buckle behind the rear spring/axle mount (torsion axles) when shock loaded on a major bump. THAT could cause far more heartburn than just a damaged bumper.

FWIW, someone posted a picture of a bike rack lying on the ground while the hitch was still attached to the bumper (sort of). A quick look at the hitch/bumper connection it was clear that the hitch was welded to the bumper and the bumper was torn right along the welds. Not surprising as whoever welded it on didn't consider the need to spread the load by adding a top plate, welding to both the tip of the bumper and the hitch.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #19

Hey, thanks for the info everyone. One more question. With my 21SS, do I need the Universal kit or the standard? I guess the universal has some extra standoff spacers that are "required for welded or bolted I-beam frames less than 6" tall and any size double channel frames where flanges stick out past your mounting surface".
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
With my 21SS, do I need the Universal kit or the standard?
I think you have no answers because I don't recall what I used several years ago, and almost every bumper/frame type is different.

You are going to need some good tools and some mechanical skills to get this mounted correctly. It is best to use a clamp to keep the bracket from moving around when you drill holes and bolt into place. Take a slow and deliberate approach when doing the mounting.

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
lock, mount, safety