Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

Mouse prevention question

Wasn't quite sure where to start this thread but since I have a hybrid I start it here.

I was going over my underbelly today trying to close up any openings. The camp I will leave my trailer at 6-7 months a year has been known to have mice problems. First and foremost I will not leave any food in her unless it's in a foolproof container; cans and such.
I noticed that the underbelly has a black plastic sheet like material covering the bottom. The drain into the black tank was/is NOT easy to ensure it's sealed (using spray foam and steel wool0. I did not really notice anywhere else that was not already sealed? If a mouse wanted to get in, couldn't it just eat through the plastic cloth and have free reign?
Then I was doing some work inside and saw where some things were coming into the camper through the belly. Are these areas most important to seal up? Even if the spray foam encases all the wires and such? Under my fridge, behind my fuse panel, the hole is quite big, coffee can size, with insulation jutting out of it. How would I close up such a large area?

Sorry for the long post. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or making things harder for my self.

I do have peppermint essence oil and 2 boxes of bounce ready to spread out, but would like to seal up any chance of them getting in, if possible.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

and I've read several posts about them getting in around the slide rails. I couldn't see any openings around them???
Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Ok, I'm a noob. Just figured out how to search entire forum. Looks like I'm buying more mouse foam, brass scrubbers and getting to work in the AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster View Post
Wasn't quite sure where to start this thread but since I have a hybrid I start it here.

I was going over my underbelly today trying to close up any openings. The camp I will leave my trailer at 6-7 months a year has been known to have mice problems. First and foremost I will not leave any food in her unless it's in a foolproof container; cans and such.
I noticed that the underbelly has a black plastic sheet like material covering the bottom. The drain into the black tank was/is NOT easy to ensure it's sealed (using spray foam and steel wool0. I did not really notice anywhere else that was not already sealed? If a mouse wanted to get in, couldn't it just eat through the plastic cloth and have free reign?
Then I was doing some work inside and saw where some things were coming into the camper through the belly. Are these areas most important to seal up? Even if the spray foam encases all the wires and such? Under my fridge, behind my fuse panel, the hole is quite big, coffee can size, with insulation jutting out of it. How would I close up such a large area?

Sorry for the long post. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something or making things harder for my self.

I do have peppermint essence oil and 2 boxes of bounce ready to spread out, but would like to seal up any chance of them getting in, if possible.
We have used Irish spring bar soap for years, even in our pop up, not had any mice and live in the "country" where we see them often in the yard.
Take the bar and shred some up in the areas you think they are coming in. I have taken the bars and cut them into quarters and have in drawers and storage areas. Check them for scent often and change if you cannot smell them. They've are fairly cheap, and smell great!
Hope this will help.
Lawlesszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

Four years ago, we found a mouse in our RV toilet dead and floating in the antifreeze. Since that year we used a product that is natural and really worked well for us:

https://www.amazon.com/Earthkind-Bot...dent+repellent

Does have to be change every three months I think, but we never saw a mouse since we start using it.......and it's all made out of pine...no bad smell.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #6

I sprayed the bottom of mine with MOUSE FREE ...
it's like a citrus smelling gel.

You'll need a compressor and spray gun...

The stuff comes in a gallon jug...
1season treatment ,
FALL before storage,
used 1/3 of the gallon...
took 10 minutes to spray the 233s

It leaves an oily residue on the underbody but not horrible.

So, about $50 will get you 3 treatment seasons?

No mice
slider in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Where do you get the Mouse Free? We found signs of mice in our camper and they have to be coming from the underbelly somewhere. We have already spray foamed the 4 large holes that we found in the floor and also put poison out. We're just trying to figure out how to keep the darn things out. Any suggestions on where to look for entry points or where we need to seal things up is greatly appreciated. It is a 2017 Rockwood Roo 233s.
camping with dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #8

Mice can not climb smooth, vertical surfaces.
Park the wheels on a sheet of plywood and build a box around them with smooth metal flashing at least 8", better 10" tall and make sure not to leave the tiniest gaps between the plywood floor and the flashing. Next set the jacks in 5 gal buckets and don't leave hoses or cords attached that the mice can use to climb into the trailer.
If done right you shouldn't have mice, this might not work for larger rodents.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Team

You need to go under the trailer and carefully look for any hole and fill it with foam. It is not possible to seal all the spots from the inside. Please do not use poison as there is a significant risk of poisoning other wildlife that may consume the dead/dying mouse. This is especially important if you have household pets.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent