Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
jbdbsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Designing beds to go across serves a purpose as it can create more space. I have the captain style bed and it works for me. Now if I had to crawl over someone to get out I would feel differently. I also got a cabinet with countertop next to the kitchen sink in my unit that the next size unit didn't come that had the walk-around bed.

What is the best bed design? It would be based on your ideal floor plan. Captain style bed are usually a compromise for sure. It's not one I usually seek out.

Before I forget - great mods & keep the pictures coming!
I understand the "Space" issues, believe me. But a larger "Bunk" wouldn't have taken up any more living space. All they had to do was enlarge the bunk opening by say 2', that's a foot at the top and bottom.

What's the Captain style?
jbdbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb View Post
I understand the "Space" issues, believe me. But a larger "Bunk" wouldn't have taken up any more living space. All they had to do was enlarge the bunk opening by say 2', that's a foot at the top and bottom.

What's the Captain style?
My error – I misunderstood the definition of transversely and now know you were referring to body position, not the bed.
A Capitan’s bed is against three walls like on a pirate ship.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Chris

Nice mods, Jeff. Thanks for sharing and all of the pictures! I've got a 233S on order so I'm really enjoying checking all the mods folks have done and planning for my own.
RazorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #24

What exactly are you doing to the front bunk that allows a 90 degree turn in the way you lay?
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
jbdbsb

Hey there
Well for my initial trial run, I simply used a piece thin of 2x4 foot plywood for support. When you turn the matress so your head/feet in there is a bit of matress overhang, like a foot or so. I simply used that piece of wood to support it. Since it was my feet, there was no issue of it falling out. Of course you couldn't sit on the edge of the matress are anything like that, but for one night it was fine. It worked great, even my wife who rather scoffed at the idea initially, gave me the big thumbs up the next morning! Me & my wife hate having to climb over each other, especially on those late night nature calls! Now I'm simply going to attach a "Piano hinge" so you just flip it over to stow under the matress. Of course I have to turn the matress to stow also, that's no biggy. Of course with the mod you get lots of space along the bed side for a drink, book, snack ect...
Have made any mod's?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #26

Was wondering what you used to secure the wall track in you closet for the shelving
2012 Roo 21SS
bowtang2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #27
jbdbsb

Drywall screws. Then used "zip ties" to secure the wire shelves to the bracket arms
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #28
Steve Jackson

What size screws(length) did you use to secure the shelve bracket to the closet wall?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #29
jbdbsb

Sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I'm thinking they were were either drywall or deck screws which are fairly similar and have an agressive "bite", as apposed to a normal wood screw. I believe they are of one diameter in size, with varying lengths. Of course I used as long as possible without going through the other side, which is the bunk. Since the screws are being used in a shear mounting application, meaning all forces/weight on the wall brackets are pulling straight down on the screw and not out, it makes a pretty strong setup. So far, I've had none pull out.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #30

Thumbs up

Great Mods. Thanks for all your time sharing!
Flowmaster exhaust
WilsonCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #31

some of these are really nice. i really like the countertop extension. That is the perfect location, though my wife loves the little pop-out "drawer" that is blocked by the shelf.

Last week we had some issues with water behind the shower (i had to remove the wall in the rear storage area to see it). I suspect it was water entering near the faucet. i haven't determined the exact source. Might have to caulk around the hose's connection as I think water might be running down the hose and sent behind the faucet.

I do, however, need to add a curtain guard to prevent water from running onto the floor during showers. This happened to us in one location in which the camper had a slight tilt toward the toilet, which allowed water to run down the shower wall, across the base's rear edge and right onto the floor behind the toilet.

Where did you get those LED modules?

There is a bunch of space behind the toilet/shower that you can access from the rear hatch. I discovered this while locating the shower leak. It looks like a good spot for fishing poles as it is quite long and narrow.

If you have a 233S that does NOT have the u-shaped dinette, there is also a bunch of space that can be accessed through the front "ward" that it located "behind" the water filter. I plan to expand this "ward" into that space.

Edit2: Where is your furnace? I don't see the mesh "intake" under your countertop extension.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
jbdbsb

The extra counter space was easily worth the lose of the little "pop out" drawer which holds little, at least for me. I'm mounting a spice rack instead.

With my moded shower curtain, water on the floor is a thing of the past, unless my "kids" get way to careless! LOL!

Yes, the area behind the bath is quite large, I'm going to use it to stow my easyup screen room. It's funny just how much wasted space still exist within these units! Why didn't they add a door to use the space?? Same thing next to the water pump. I've already moved my pump further back in the pocket, and I created an enclosure that makes the pump nearly silent.

I removed the "vent" panel for the furnace. You know it's hinged to open right? I realize thats it's the return air vent, but there is more than enough air circulation within the cabinet, and at high altitudes I can still open the vent door for even more air. With the vent gone, it quites the furnace which I found to be annoyingly loud. Oh yeah, I also used a "Dynamat" type sound deadening material to "wrap" the metal furnace housing (leaving open any vents), to maximize sound deadening. The furnace is fairly quite now.

The LED's were bought on E-bay (I love E-bay!). You can search the item # 180524911427 and the seller is "franks-warhouse". At over $21.00 ea plus S/H they ain't cheap but I've gone through many pairs of absolute garbage LED's. I have a small draw full of them. These are the best I've found, and should last the life of the RV. I simply bought two or three a month or so as funds allowed. DON"T buy the cheap ones, at least for your interior lights. You can find cheap ones for a buck a piece! You might as well take a lighter to your money dollar bill, they're that bad. They start out a lousy glaring white, then turn a bluish color. At least mine did. I did buy the low budget ones for my running lights they work fine, but they are only a single LED, not the multi element for interiors.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #33

A spice rack and the shelf would do the trick. I'll look into a spice rack.

We never use the furnace it is worthless as the two vents are in horrible locations and you can't make the fan run constantly. We use 1-2 electric heaters if we have hook-ups. And a Mr. Buddy heater if not.

IMO the most important mod for the 233S (newer versions with the rear ward) is adding an AC vent for the rear bunk. I added one based loosely on a thread on this board.. I'll share photos of my version when I return home in a week.

Thanks for the info on the LEDs.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
jbdbsb

I use the Mr Buddy also! On really cold nights (snow at the Grand Canyon), the Buddy worked better because the furnace would have run all night trying to keep up. It's not the best setup (furnace), but then they didn't really think people would use a Hybrid at such low temps.
I haven't really used the A/C much, but it works to cool way better then the furnace works to heat!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #35

When I was running the cabling for my rear camera, I found all that space behind the shower. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want people tossing things in there that could stress the water lines. But as you're careful I can't see any other reasons to NOT use it for storage. My plan is to find ans install an access door that will allow me to get at it from the side. Perfect for our fishing poles and long handled hot dog skewers.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #36

I love seeing other people's mods, especially, when they include photos. I like the Magic Mesh idea. How well does it work? Does it snap back shut well and will it really keep the bugs out?
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
jbdbsb

For those interested here's a link to the Magellan GPS with A/V input for a rearview camera $90.00 Tigerdirect.com
Magellan RM1700 7 GPS - 7 Display, Text-To-Speech, Lane Assist, 6 Million POIs, 3D, US/Canada/Puerto Rico Maps, AV Inputs, (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com RB
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #38

Great job at the mods
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb
For those interested here's a link to the Magellan GPS with A/V input for a rearview camera $90.00 Tigerdirect.com
Magellan RM1700 7 GPS - 7 Display, Text-To-Speech, Lane Assist, 6 Million POIs, 3D, US/Canada/Puerto Rico Maps, AV Inputs, (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com RB
Thanks that is a great find
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #40

These are awesome mods - I can hardly wait to try a few myself
Rezzach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s