Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

New Camper and Big First Trip...

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum! My family and I just upgraded from an older pop-up to a nice 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S. We are planning a big trip south (about 500+ miles) and not being overly familiar with the camper or a trip of this length, I thought I would elicit any suggestions that you all might have. Any recommended maintenance that I should look into or other thoughts? I'm planning to go through all through the camper this weekend so I wanted to get together a nice list of things to do Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

Check tire pressure before each trip while still cold. Check all lights and signals also.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Make sure you have spare fuses for the electrical system.

Also, make sure your water tank is sanitized and ready to use. I found out the hard way last week when I went to a campground with full hookups, but found out they did not have the water turned on yet due to potential for freezing temps....
Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Do some driveway camping and get familiar with the rig plus what others have said
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

Did the previous owner pack the bearings? Are the tires in good shape? Do you have or need a weight distribution hitch or sway control? I am assuming you are going on an interstate. Semis passing and cross winds are underwear soilers.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Check the dates on your tires and also check for wear & tear. Don't forget the spare.

If you can try camping a night prior to your trip. It would be a fun way to see if everything works especially the black tank.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
Did the previous owner pack the bearings?
I don't know, but I'm going to assume not. Is this an easy thing to do? I can look up how to do this on YouTube, but if you have any suggestions or another thread where this was already talked about feel free to pass it my way!

Quote:
Are the tires in good shape?
Tires look good.

Quote:
Do you have or need a weight distribution hitch or sway control? I am assuming you are going on an interstate. Semis passing and cross winds are underwear soilers.
Great question, I think I'll have a weight distribution hitch, if my buddy is still willing to let me use his...I'm assuming this is important based upon your crosswind comment? I've never really had to worry too much about that with the old pop-up...

Great responses everyone, much appreciated
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Some have zirk fittings for the grease and some need to have the tire assembly removed and greased manually.
The hitch needs to be adjusted to your vehicle/trailer combo. Some have built in sway control some do not. Also, the Rockwood will need a brake controller. Do you have one? I know the pop-up we had did not have electric brakes.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Site Team

1st mod for a hybrid TT:
Get a set of Popup Gizmos and Reflectix for the tent ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Gold Member

First trip

Take a weekend trip or if you can't do that camp in your driveway for a week to familiarize yourself with most of the features and what you need to take in the way of extras. Do this a few weeks in advance in case you need to take to the dealer for some warrantee fixes! Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Add 25% to your expected travel times. Slow down, and take it easy. It's tempting to think "oh we are 120 miles away, so we should be there in two hours or less" during a car trip.

It's going to take you longer towing a camper, no matter what speed you run. Trust me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Oh... And practice backing. Hitch it up and go to a big deserted parking lot (a school on the weekend works great) take some soft items like cones or plastic trash cans. Something you can hit and not damage your unit.

Learn how it turns, how it 'leads' the truck. Practice straight lines, Around corners, into narrow spaces (hence the cones) and at an offset. Spend an afternoon getting comfortable till you KNOW how your unit will react at 'such and such' angle with the wheels turned 'so and so' degrees.

9pm in the dark at the campground is NOT the time to start figuring it out.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Add 25% to your expected travel times. Slow down, and take it easy. It's tempting to think "oh we are 120 miles away, so we should be there in two hours or less" during a car trip.

It's going to take you longer towing a camper, no matter what speed you run. Trust me.

Tim
Yes! your tires are only rated for 65 mph. Also, check the charge on your battery. You need it for the breakaway braking. The backing dual axles is probably easier than with your popup.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

1. Check tires thoroughly, looking good does not make a good tire. Look for the date code on the sidewalls. The tires are probably original '10 or '11 code... If so I would replace them. Most people here will tell you to change tires every 3-5 years no matter what the mileage on them, and I agree with that.

2. Weight distribution hitch... You now own a 5500# (round numbers ) trailer not a popup... you do need a WDH, and it needs to be properly setup for THAT rig, NOT borrowed. You will get lots of opinions on this forum about what to use, but I for one would look at the Harbor Freight hitch for around $200 with the 20% coupon you can find almost anywhere. As short as the trailer is, if you have 12-15% of your weight forward of the axel, sway will not be a problem. Other hitches you will find recommended will cost you 3X that and up. You will still need to purchase a 2 5/16 hitch ball when you do get a hitch. Look on utube for setup procedure for the WDH.

3. Driveway camp by all means for a couple of night. Find what is wrong before you drive 500 miles. Try everything including heat and AC. You may want to get a 120 VOLT cube heater if it gets cool... campground electricity is FREE to you... use it.

4. You probably have a grease zerk on the end of your trailer axle. Lift the wheel using trailer frame ( do not lift on the axle tube). Spin the tire while pumping several times to get some new grease in the bearings. Spin the wheel and listen for any grinding noise however slight. If it spins freely then your are probably OK... any wobble to the wheel or slight grinding then you will have to have bearings changed out... they will fail you at the worst time guaranteed. If you have never greased wheel bearings, have it done for you. Easy enough ( but messy) job IF you have seen it done before.

5. If you get new tires installed then the wheels can be checked and greased at the tire center... ask first before buying if they will do that for you.

6. What is your tow vehicle? Hopefully at least a 1500 truck or something equally as heavy and capable. You have probably doubled or tripled the weight from your popup, certainly as far as tongue weight is concerned. Are you sure your TV can handle the extra weight?

Good luck...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Can't add much good coverage so Welcome to the forum and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Some have zirk fittings for the grease and some need to have the tire assembly removed and greased manually.
Man, I'm sure hoping that it's just a fitting that needs greasing...

Quote:
The hitch needs to be adjusted to your vehicle/trailer combo. Some have built in sway control some do not.
Good to know. I'll have to get on that this weekend and see if we can get it adjusted. Not sure if it has the sway control, but again, hopefully it does...

Quote:
Also, the Rockwood will need a brake controller. Do you have one? I know the pop-up we had did not have electric brakes.
Yes, my truck has the brake controller, but I've never used one. Someone told me recently that I just need to get on a dirt road with the trailer hooked up and test to make sure that the trailer brakes are locking up before the truck brakes...does that sound right or is there some other way that I need to test?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Oh... And practice backing. Hitch it up and go to a big deserted parking lot (a school on the weekend works great) take some soft items like cones or plastic trash cans. Something you can hit and not damage your unit.

Learn how it turns, how it 'leads' the truck. Practice straight lines, Around corners, into narrow spaces (hence the cones) and at an offset. Spend an afternoon getting comfortable till you KNOW how your unit will react at 'such and such' angle with the wheels turned 'so and so' degrees.

9pm in the dark at the campground is NOT the time to start figuring it out.

Tim
Awesome, great points! Definitely going to do a little practicing...
Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
Yes! your tires are only rated for 65 mph.
Huh, I didn't realize that...I was planning on driving slower for sure, but with the speed rating of 65mph, do most people drive 65 or are people driving closer to 55, 60? Just curious how close do most of you "push it"?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #19

The driveway camping mentioned is a great idea. We spent a week living in the camper before we took it to Alaska...then again, we hardly ever used a campground - we like Walmarts and other 'dry' camping areas.

Have a look at RVParky for places to stay.

Truck Stops are great not only for easy fuel, but many also have dump stations and an easy way to fill up your water tanks - and/or buy a first class shower.

TPMS is a huge comfort especially if you use ST tires.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
1. Check tires thoroughly, looking good does not make a good tire. Look for the date code on the sidewalls. The tires are probably original '10 or '11 code... If so I would replace them. Most people here will tell you to change tires every 3-5 years no matter what the mileage on them, and I agree with that.

4. You probably have a grease zerk on the end of your trailer axle. Lift the wheel using trailer frame ( do not lift on the axle tube). Spin the tire while pumping several times to get some new grease in the bearings. Spin the wheel and listen for any grinding noise however slight. If it spins freely then your are probably OK... any wobble to the wheel or slight grinding then you will have to have bearings changed out... they will fail you at the worst time guaranteed. If you have never greased wheel bearings, have it done for you. Easy enough ( but messy) job IF you have seen it done before.

5. If you get new tires installed then the wheels can be checked and greased at the tire center... ask first before buying if they will do that for you.
Check, sounds like a new set of tires and having them do the greasing is my best bet. Great info!

Quote:
2. Weight distribution hitch... You now own a 5500# (round numbers ) trailer not a popup... you do need a WDH, and it needs to be properly setup for THAT rig, NOT borrowed. You will get lots of opinions on this forum about what to use, but I for one would look at the Harbor Freight hitch for around $200 with the 20% coupon you can find almost anywhere. As short as the trailer is, if you have 12-15% of your weight forward of the axel, sway will not be a problem. Other hitches you will find recommended will cost you 3X that and up. You will still need to purchase a 2 5/16 hitch ball when you do get a hitch. Look on utube for setup procedure for the WDH.
Perfect, I'm all over it! This forum rules

Quote:
3. Driveway camp by all means for a couple of night. Find what is wrong before you drive 500 miles. Try everything including heat and AC. You may want to get a 120 VOLT cube heater if it gets cool... campground electricity is FREE to you... use it.
Great point!

Quote:
6. What is your tow vehicle? Hopefully at least a 1500 truck or something equally as heavy and capable. You have probably doubled or tripled the weight from your popup, certainly as far as tongue weight is concerned. Are you sure your TV can handle the extra weight?
My TV is a 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost...it had better tow this camper, we just upgraded from a Highlander for this very purpose, so my fingers are crossed that we got enough truck to do the job!

Tags
camper