Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

New purchase roo 23ss

I have been reading the PDI for hybrids posted by Triguy. Good stuff! Any additional thinks to look for or to check? This is the first trailer I have purchased, I'm so exited and nervous that I my miss something. Hoping to pick up the trailer next weekend. Thank you for any and all input.
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

You'll forget most of what they tell you and honestly they will probably miss some things. The biggest thing for a first timer is to understand how to hook up the trailer. Unhook the trailer. Setup and level. And use the electric switches and breakers. The rest should be focused on making sure there isn't anything wrong with the trailer (flaws). You'll find a lot of what you need to know about the appliances in the manuals for them or here on the forums. Since it is a hybrid, make sure they also show how to open and properly close the bunk ends, since they could be tricky, but some clever proven ideas here about turning on the fan to help pull the bunk in so it doesn't catch in the seal. Have fun and take first time pictures! !!!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Ya that's what I was thinking as far a forgetting or possibly being overwhelmed. I will make sure that the hook up, unhooking and leveling is understood. Thanks for the pointers!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
You'll forget most of what they tell you and honestly they will probably miss some things. The biggest thing for a first timer is to understand how to hook up the trailer. Unhook the trailer. Setup and level. And use the electric switches and breakers. The rest should be focused on making sure there isn't anything wrong with the trailer (flaws). You'll find a lot of what you need to know about the appliances in the manuals for them or here on the forums. Since it is a hybrid, make sure they also show how to open and properly close the bunk ends, since they could be tricky, but some clever proven ideas here about turning on the fan to help pull the bunk in so it doesn't catch in the seal. Have fun and take first time pictures! !!!
Will definitely have pic's. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Site Team

I wished I had thought about using my smartphone to video tapes parts of my PDI. Driveway camping is a great way to refresh your memory of what you learned during walk-through before your first trip. Most people will not be able to dump the tanks but you can do a dry run.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

For sure - camp in the yard once and try everything out. Most dealers are really good about helping you out or refreshing your memory over the phone if you run into a situation where you have questions.

Enjoy the new Roo!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Make a check list until you know what all needs to be done. Remember simple things like disconnect the electric, close glass top on stove, antenna down , roof vents shut, step up etc. You'll be fine it just takes a little time for you to get into a routine! Good luck with your new toy ...
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Make a check list until you know what all needs to be done. Remember simple things like disconnect the electric, close glass top on stove, antenna down , roof vents shut, step up etc. You'll be fine it just takes a little time for you to get into a routine! Good luck with your new toy ...
And make a checklist for the questions you will have. Review this thread and create a list of questions to ask during the PDI and check them off as you go. You will forget as they load your brain full of info. I love the idea of video taping. Maybe have the wife or friend do it as you paying attention to what they are telling you. Even if you don't video, maybe just record the voice conversations and leave the phone in a shirt pocket or hip clip.

Don't be too hard on yourself, what you forget, we can help with and the next thing you know, you will master the art of your Roo and helping others.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Congratulations on your purchase. We loved our 23SS. People are always willing to help you at campgrounds if you ask. They love to share their knowledge. If you are not familiar with the electric brakes, have the dealer help you set up & adjust them before you leave the dealership. The video idea sounds great. We are getting a new trailer soon & we intend to do that for our PDI. Enjoy your 23SS. Ours was our first trailer too & we had no regrets. Trailer camping, but you can still enjoy the best of tent camping.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

New TT

We picked up our (first) new 233S last June and my wife was smart enough to take iPhone pics of during the walkthrough. I've used them several times.

Lots of good tips on this forum, too.

The kids enjoyed "camping" in the driveway the first night we had it home.

Happy Camping in 2015!
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
Site Team

As the dealer goes through the PDI on appliances, awning, plumbing ask if the manual for that appliance is in the delivery paperwork. Even if you can operate the appliance without the manual you will need it should you ever have a problem. If you are getting a WDH take a roll of colored plastic tape and use it to mark the link on the WDH chains that the dealer has set up.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #12

ask about winterizing, dealer will charge about$80 if you take it to them, turns out to be a simple process if you can do it yourself.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Congrats on your new 23ss! Hopefully the weather is nice enough that you'll be able to "play" with it in your driveway for a week or two before storage. Even if you're a seasoned camper, it's nice to review and actually work through the steps required to set up and take down your new home on wheels. It's a lot of info to try and absorb all at once during the pdi.
Before you know it, you'll be thinking of all the mod's you' want to do. Enjoy!

Don't forget about the second year warranty from FR for $150.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Congrats on your new 23ss! Hopefully the weather is nice enough that you'll be able to "play" with it in your driveway for a week or two before storage. Even if you're a seasoned camper, it's nice to review and actually work through the steps required to set up and take down your new home on wheels. It's a lot of info to try and absorb all at once during the pdi.
Before you know it, you'll be thinking of all the mod's you' want to do. Enjoy!

Don't forget about the second year warranty from FR for $150.
I will definitely go for 2nd year warranty! Ya I hope the weather holds up. Glad it wasn't ready this weekend with all the ice in the pa/nj area! Would have been a tuff ride home from Ohio. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth B Towed View Post
ask about winterizing, dealer will charge about$80 if you take it to them, turns out to be a simple process if you can do it yourself.
Hoping they give me a good run down on winterizing I think I will take care of it myself. It has been cold out here already maybe they will winterize it for me before I leave? Doubt it but it be nice
Old 01-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #16

Our dealership recorded the entire PDI and gave us a recording on a CD-R. I only have had to refer back to it once, but it's great to have.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
Our dealership recorded the entire PDI and gave us a recording on a CD-R. I only have had to refer back to it once, but it's great to have.
What a good idea. Sounds like great customer service.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
Wow that's great! It would be nice of rvw does that. Made the appointment this morning. 11 am on Saturday. I hope the weather holds out.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #19

1st time, spend a lot of time with the salesman, and the repair men, if you can camp their do so, that way you will find out very quickly how different things work, and can ask questions. next the roof is the most important part of the camper, the repair men will advise you on things that will keep the roof from having problems, listen carefully, also their are great products out their for roof maintenance, start as soon as you receive your camper. I also love slide out covers, they really make a big difference. Good luck and have lots of fun.
Big George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #20

walkthrough videos

RV Wholesalers has good walkthrough videos online for the Roos. Shows opening/closing the bunks, propane tanks, Jack's, water heater, all of the water & electric connections, all kinds of stuff. Search for them. I don't remember exactly where I found them when we bought (from rvw), but they are out there.
Congrats. We love our 233S.
Flashg_123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, roo