Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #1

New Rockwood 233s roo power question

Hi all i bought a new 2022 233s roo and was wondering what would be a good upgrade for the battery system. We do like to go no electric when we can, actually its all we have ever done to be honest. So I want to keep my options not tied to a power outlet. I also have a 100w portable charger we used with our old 2318G.

I added the second solar panel so i have 2 190 watt solar chargers. what would be good to keep the fridge and the AC running if required (ac may be a bit of a stretch but curious if possible)

Any other advice would be welcome?

Also looking to mount a rear view camera any recommendations are welcome.
TheCainesCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved to the Roo/Shamrock sub-forum.
Unfortunately, unless you are towing another trailer full of batteries, you aren't going to be able to run the a/c on battery power.
Solar isn't a magical thing. It has limitations.
If you have the money, a pair of lithium batteries would be the best option. Then a large inverter if you want to run the microwave. For a/c, you'll need an inverter generator, minimum of 2500w.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
rbq

Hopefully you also have the propane option fridge as well. Not real sure about the 12 volt fridges for boondocking. Good generator would be the best option to provide power for AC.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Moved to the Roo/Shamrock sub-forum.
Unfortunately, unless you are towing another trailer full of batteries, you aren't going to be able to run the a/c on battery power.
Solar isn't a magical thing. It has limitations.
If you have the money, a pair of lithium batteries would be the best option. Then a large inverter if you want to run the microwave. For a/c, you'll need an inverter generator, minimum of 2500w.
Thanks it has two 190 solar with 1000w inverter - as i don't know this stuff very well would you go with two 6w or two 12w batteries?
Old 04-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Hopefully you also have the propane option fridge as well. Not real sure about the 12 volt fridges for boondocking. Good generator would be the best option to provide power for AC.
Have a portable genny 3000w brigs and straton. just the 12 volt fridge going may 24th week-end off grid so will give it a test see how it does on solar.

rest of summer we are connected to the grid so should be good for this year.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #6

Good quality camera

This is the back up camera I got mine. Had very good reviews. After a year of using it, I’d have to say I’m very happy. It has good picture quality and great night vision.
There is a slight lag in real time when traveling down the highway. But very Minimal. Other then that it’s spot on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CCE1C97-CBC1-4A3E-B652-EBB9E76E9A93.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	271082  
Padison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCainesCastle View Post
Thanks it has two 190 solar with 1000w inverter - as i don't know this stuff very well would you go with two 6w or two 12w batteries?
Two 6v golf cart batteries. Did you mean 12V, not 12w?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-05-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Two 6v golf cart batteries. Did you mean 12V, not 12w?
Yes I meant V not W....so you'd choose two 6Vs? will that work for a 12v fridge?
Old 04-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Yes I meant V not W....so you'd choose two 6Vs? will that work for a 12v fridge?
Yes.
Suggest that you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". It's a good primer on the two different RV electrical systems.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #10

With a propane fridge, 200 watts of solar, and careful use of electricity, we can boondock indefinitely. Two 6v golf cart batteries (wired in series) are the least expensive way to get true deep cycle batteries. For some reason, true deep cycle 12v batteries cost more. The only disadvantage is that if one battery fails, you are out of power. That isn't a common occurance.

I highly recommend a shunt type battery monitor, so you know what is going on with your batteries.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
With a propane fridge, 200 watts of solar, and careful use of electricity, we can boondock indefinitely. Two 6v golf cart batteries (wired in series) are the least expensive way to get true deep cycle batteries. For some reason, true deep cycle 12v batteries cost more. The only disadvantage is that if one battery fails, you are out of power. That isn't a common occurance.

I highly recommend a shunt type battery monitor, so you know what is going on with your batteries.
Unfortunately they aren't installing 2-way fridges anymore, just 12v only fridges.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #12

you can get it as an option, However I think they are banking on the pre-built in solar component to help there.

Comes standard with 1 190watt solar panel and 1000w inverter, and I added a second Solar panel which is an option.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #13

Hi, I installed the Furrion backup camera since the RV is already prepared for it. You only need to:
- Unscrew 4 screws
- Plug one cable
- Reinstall the screws
- Turn on the lights on your truck (this is what powers the camera)

And that's it!
aranzuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranzuglia View Post
Hi, I installed the Furrion backup camera since the RV is already prepared for it. You only need to:
- Unscrew 4 screws
- Plug one cable
- Reinstall the screws
- Turn on the lights on your truck (this is what powers the camera)

And that's it!

hope you have better luck with your Furrion than i did. i even gave them two tries - first Furrion camera lasted a couple of years before it fogged over, the second has now fogged over. going with a different brand this time that it compatible with the Furrion wiring.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
Canadian Member

Quote:
Hi all i bought a new 2022 233s roo and was wondering what would be a good upgrade for the battery system. We do like to go no electric when we can, actually its all we have ever done to be honest. So I want to keep my options not tied to a power outlet. I also have a 100w portable charger we used with our old 2318G.

I added the second solar panel so i have 2 190 watt solar chargers. what would be good to keep the fridge and the AC running if required (ac may be a bit of a stretch but curious if possible)

Any other advice would be welcome?

Also looking to mount a rear view camera any recommendations are welcome.
For batteries, two 6v golf cart batteries connected in series should be a minimum for boondocking with no electrical hookup. That, and an inverter generator. I agree with Bikendan that a 2500W generator would be a minimum unless you add a soft starter device to your air conditioner.

If your budget can afford it, and if you plan to be camping without an electrical hookup for more than 5-7 years, then a couple 100AH LiFePO4 batteries (or a single 200AH LiFePO4 battery) will be a better option. They have more usable power and last longer than regular lead-acid or AGM batteries. Note that if you opt for LiFePO4 batteries you should upgrade the converter/charger. The standard WFCO you have from the factory probably isn’t rated for LiFePO4 batteries. It can charge them but it won’t get them up to 100% charged.

There are YouTube videos of people running their AC with just solar and batteries but they typically need over 1000W of solar panels and at least 600AH of LiFePO4 batteries. And they still have an inverter generator as backup in case they have several consecutive cloudy days. Don’t even bother attempting that if you camp in the northern states or Canada. People who live in their RV full time tend to follow the sun to minimize use of the AC and reduce power requirements.

Your 380W of solar should be OK to recharge 2 batteries as long as you have good sunny days but you’ll have to be conscious of electricity usage. I would consider upgrading to a 2000W inverter and turn it off when you don’t need 120V AC power to reduce the inverter’s drain on your battery sitting idle.

For the camera, make sure you get one that’ll allow you to see what’s going on behind you as you drive down the road. That’s especially important if you plan to carry bikes on the back of the trailer. I recommend the Haloview brand rear view cameras. I also tried the Furrion and found the monitor was unusable with polarized sunglasses on while I was driving.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, power, question, rockwood, roo